Bank Hassles

terryin pa

Nov 15, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've beer chr'ing almost 3 months and I'm getting the hang of it all fairly well. It was hard to believe in the beginning the ability to get and dump boxes of coins. I live in an area thats laid back somewhat....not very many banks with coin counters. Around 2 months ago I went into a bank in an area I travel alot and there was a coin counter ! Perfect I figured..however the teller said you need an account with this bank in order to use it. I'd been in an accident last June in which I lost my leg in a motorcycle accident, so my in my current situation I cant go opening bank accounts all across the county. I called a different branch of that bank and spoke to the branch manager, explained my situation, and she suggested I open a custodial account or have a family member open one and then I'd be able to use the machine. I take my daughter and she opens an account for my 2 year old grandson. I put up 25 bucks, happy I have a dump bank thats not out of the way. The following week I dump 2 x no problem. Next week I go in with 350.00 in nickels, dump, print the slip, go up to the teller and get the old do you have an account here? Yes I do.......she asked me 2 more times while shes getting the cash, and now I'm getting aggrivated. This very same teller around 2 years ago busted my butt when I tried to cash checks on several occassions. The checks were drawn on that bank, I had a current drivers license and 2 other forms of ID , but she always found some kind of problem in which I had to ask for the manager to get things done. so after leaving, I'm thinking about this and when I get home I call and ask to speak to the manager....fill him in on the story, then he tells me I have to be the customer.......Not a family member. I failed to say I also had deposited another 25.00 on one of the dumps for my grandsons baptism gift so now were at 50.00 in his account which was my money I had given to him! I told him of my initial call to the different branch and what took place , he tells me they were mistaken. I later call the branch manager at the bank I initally spoke to and she had gotten her buns in a mess, and apoliged for misleading me. So now I put up cash for a custodial account and cant use the coin counter ! Its stinks I can go deposit my money in that account all I want but cant use the coin machine. What if this senaro is reversed....lets say I ( or any one of you) gets so disabled we cant go out or get around. We have an account at a bank....ask a grandson or other family member to go dump , or pick up boxes ordered, and they refuse that person ? I used to stay at a relative that lived in a small town and used to go cash their paycheck at 10 years old. (This was in the mid 70's). Its terrible what the banks have become.
My next subject....while on road trips, you go into a bank and ask for 1/2's. Certain banks give ya the ol do you have an account here? What? I need an account for you to sell me the 1/2's somoene else disposed of? Yes. We cant exchange and money unless you have an account with this bank. This does not cost the bank anything. A majority of the tellers at most banks are more than glad to get rid of the 1/2's as they dont have to count them. I had a teller carry them to my car for me last week. Another one gave me 2 canvas bags. The third one apoliged for not having any and asked me if I wanted her to order me some. I had her order 2 boxes which will be in Friday. So ......for the ones which give a hard time ......I dont know about the rest of you but my opinion in cases of exchanging money, banks should be required to provide basic services such as this free to everyone. We , the taxpayers, are the "customers" which just picked up the tab on the 700 billion + bailout. To think they cant do something as simple as giving you 1/2's which they have on hand.

Upvote 0

Codes

Bronze Member
Feb 28, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
terryin pa said:
We, the taxpayers, are the "customers" which just picked up the tab on the 700 billion + bailout. To think they cant do something as simple as giving you 1/2's which they have on hand.

They don't care about our bailout money. They could stick us for another 700 billion and not even think anything of it.

-Codes

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
Gotta take the good with the bad I am afraid. Thankfully more are good than bad, but there are a few rotten eggs out there. I hope you are able to straighten out the mess with the coun counter. Out of curiosity, what bank is it?

Anthony

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
sorry to hear about your leg Terry....hope your coping well...pull your grandsons account and put it in another bank....close one of your accounts that doesn't have a dump machine...open your own account with the bare minimum....DUMP,DUMP,and DUMP some more

packfan_1982

Jun 22, 2008
Omaha NE
Detector(s) used
F70 / ACE 250
They usually ask for a minimum of $100 to open an account but most banks don't make you keep that much in to maintain that account. I have 4 banks with checking accounts and all have just $10 in them. I've also been know to drop my coins on certain tellers that are rude. I've heard others recommend not pissing off the tellers so that may not be the best advice just what works for me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread