bank manager called today......uhoh......

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
got a call today from my dump bank the one i have my arrangement with. i wondered how long it was going to last. well after almost a year of them providing the bags to me like the coin counter machine uses (because the said that my dumps were causing too much wear and tear on their machine) the manager calls and says the bank can't provide them anymore without a fee to me. he said a case of the bags are 65.00 and if i wished to continue to bring in coins i would have to buy the bags myself. he said that that the bank would have to charge me a fee per bag to send them off with brinks because the bank pays brinks a flat fee plus a extra fee for overages of the limit. he said the bank is always over the fee for bags because of their coin counters ( they are the only ones with counters in this area). i asked him how much per bag was the fee and he said he would have to get back with me on that next week. he said he just wanted to check with me and see if i would be interested in purchasing the bags before he went any futher. i told him i would purchase a case and to let me know on the bag fee.
he went on to say that he was sorry but the bank could not continue to absorb the fees in relation to my dumps. he also said that since i do not do my major banking with them that that was another issue. i asked him what he meant and he said that all you have with us is a checking account that is basically inactive. i then said well, i came to the bank 7 months ago and took out a home mortgaage with you guys and 2 days later after closing yall sold it to somebody else across the country. he then said that was standard practice and they did not hold any any mortages in house anymore. i then said that was not my fault i came in and tried to give yall my most major account and you sold it to somebody else. he then said that it was not going to be a big thing, yada yada yada and he would get back with me on the fee....well, guess we will see......

Upvote 0

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
silvercop said:
i search 40K in halves a month. way too many to get rid of paying bills. other than the water bill, light bill, gas and groceries the other bills i have to pay online. no local office here to accept payments. i think that the brick and mortar banks will be a thing of the past in 10 years anyway. everyone is moving towards online transactions, direct deposits, etc. the walmart and kroger here are their own banks now mine as well say because they have brinks pick up from them everyday and they don't go to the bank for deposits and change.
i don't fully believe the bank manager's explanation either. he said the bank has a contract with brinks for a X amount of coins that can be picked up and after that they have to pay a per bag fee for overages. my supply bank told me there is no such thing. the vault teller said that there supply service has to handle their change orders no matter how big or small they are.
i still say this is just another ploy to try and get rid of me.

My daughter works at a bank and she told me that what they pay for is the shipment of cash. Coin is free no matter what amount is ordered or sent back. The payments to the courier service are by contract and remain the same until the contract runs out.
Of course they are lying to you, me and everyone else. You would think that by now they would be good at it.
Rich

OP
OP
silvercop

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
yea rich i usually come in on the tail of everything. sure would have been nice to hunt in the 80's and early 90's when silver was 5.00/oz. there would have been no 1995's to deal with either. only a boat load of 71's. i bet every box would have been a dream box by today's standards. got alot of folks on the boat today. i am looking for a back up bank but i have been in every bank within 100 miles of here some time in the past year and i don't remember seeing another bank with a coin counter. i am going to start checking the credit unions. if my dump bank cuts me off then the game is over...at least for me

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
silvercop said:
yea rich i usually come in on the tail of everything. sure would have been nice to hunt in the 80's and early 90's when silver was 5.00/oz. there would have been no 1995's to deal with either. only a boat load of 71's. i bet every box would have been a dream box by today's standards. got alot of folks on the boat today. i am looking for a back up bank but i have been in every bank within 100 miles of here some time in the past year and i don't remember seeing another bank with a coin counter. i am going to start checking the credit unions. if my dump bank cuts me off then the game is over...at least for me

Credit unions up here have them. That's probably the way to go. Hope you find some. I'd sure hate to miss the Thursday night 20 box search.
Good Luck
Rich

rsc

Mar 6, 2005
Noth of Houston
SC.. You may want to ask the bank about a debit card... use it to buy lunch every now and then.......they love that......Mine has hit me with that stuff also, and is happy to continur doing business, as long as I use the card..... Worth a try... HH Gayle

OP
OP
silvercop

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
well today i went to another bank. i have been dealing with them for years and i currently have a loan with them that i use to coin hunt. this bank does not have a coin counter and i explained to the manager what i was doing and was up front about my volume.
she said that they would take my dumps as long as i would bag them (they provided the bags) and bring them into the vault teller. i was amazed at how easy it was.
i think i will start out slow with them and dump 2K a week for a while and still use the dump bank that is giving me trouble until they cut me off. i wonder how long this new arrangement will last? it is basically the same arrangement as i have with the other bank. the only trouble is this bank is a little harder to get in and out of than the other one. they have a flight of stairs inside and outside and the parking lot is a good ways away from the door. i will have to take them in by hand 2 bags at a time due to the stairs and will be unable to use the dolly. i thought about asking them to use the service entrance, but i did not want to push my luck, maybe they will offer me this option after a few weeks?

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
Glad to hear you found yourself another dump bank. :thumbsup: As an added bonus you get a free workout carrying those dump bags up a couple of flight of stairs. :help:

Best,

Rich

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rich Hartford said:
Glad to hear you found yourself another dump bank. :thumbsup: As an added bonus you get a free workout carrying those dump bags up a couple of flight of stairs. :help:

Best,

Rich

Hell, people pay for gym memberships. This will give you a workout and you get money back in the end. Good deal!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions