Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I hope you don't mind my showing finds, but this is my first PROOF FRANKLIN ever

a local bank will sell me bags of Dimes Quarters and Halves, the pennies another guy gets and I don't really want the nickels.

Their half bag had been at about 20% full for well over a year so I asked if they minded if I would fill it and buy it, they said no problem. Took $800 in halves to fill it (they wouldn't sell it part full).
I found 2 40% 1967 1968 and a 1948D Franklin and my very first Proof Franklin, a nice cameo, too bad it has some scratches. It must have been beautiful when it was in the Mint packaging.

IMG_20180224_152009657.jpg

IMG_20180224_152033744.jpg

Upvote 0

Greastart

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2014
Far North Corner of CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and a Garrett Carrot
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats Ben,
Wish I could find someone other than a drug dealer willing to sell me a bag. Well played!

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I hope this lasts, seems each time I buy a bag the next time I go they say no.

I am almost half through with the dime bag (sounds bad) and only a 1948, but in very nice shape.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I just found another branch bank that will sell me bags, she took my number, said halves will take forever, but dimes usually takes about 1-2 weeks, cents weekly. Told her not quarters or nickels. We'll see what pans out, crossing my fingers that there is NO big CRH dumpers at this branch. She says usually small drops (piggy banks, cans, bags) nothing HUGE.

TwoYewts

Oct 29, 2013
NorthEast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher CZ-21, Makro Racer Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just curious as to why both of you (Ben and Dozer) are opposed to nickels. Next to Pennies, nickels are my next favorite denomination to CRH for variety, errors and war nickels. I have always found more war nickels than silver dimes (my guess is that people just pass them over or figure the 35% silver content is not worth holding onto). Just curious.

Best of luck
TwoYewts

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I am not "opposed" to them, I save a war nickel if I find it, I just enjoy halves the best followed by dimes then quarters and finally nickels. I am almost completed my Jefferson book of CRH finds but with limited time I have to pick and choose. I actually sell Buff's and V nickels I buy from a dealer at the gun shows I do. I get $1 each (pay 50 cents each) and usually sell 50 or show at a show.

War nickels are like 40% halves, many people don't understand they have silver

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread