Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Upvote 0

coolpix9

Bronze Member
Jan 17, 2007
Primary Interest:
Other
My guess would be those days are mostly over or fading fast. You might find a teller in a smaller bank with the time or the freedom to search coins but I would bet the larger banks would frown upon someone riding the timeclock searching for silver. We have all heard the stories of the little old ladies cashing in tons of silver at face value, but I don't think the tellers would get first dibs. Their bosses maybe ! JP

D1MES_101

Aug 7, 2012
USA
Primary Interest:
Other
I walked in my pickup bank liked usually getting my 3 boxes of dimes. the teller told me this:

Teller: How old are you?

Me: 14

Teller: when your old enough, maybe we can help you get a job here, so you can take all the boxes of dimes you want!

Me: that'd be great!

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
D1MES_101 said:
I walked in my pickup bank liked usually getting my 3 boxes of dimes. the teller told me this:

Teller: How old are you?

Me: 14

Teller: when your old enough, maybe we can help you get a job here, so you can take all the boxes of dimes you want!

Me: that'd be great!

My bank Said the same thing. My grandma is manager and cousin is head teller. :P I think tht would be a pleasant job.

D1MES_101

Aug 7, 2012
USA
Primary Interest:
Other
My bank Said the same thing. My grandma is manager and cousin is head teller. :P I think tht would be a pleasant job.
im sure it would! I dont have any family members at my bank, so i dont know how its like

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Have a family member that works at a bank. I've obtained solid rolls of steel wheats, lots o silver dimes, halves, war nicks and the like. Some of the girls have amassed quite a collection. One teller blocked about 20 silver dollars, brought in by an elderly gent that wanted paper money, even after he was tutored on the value of his coin.

Silver89

Greenie
Apr 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a teller at a chase in manhattan, and while it's a great way to supplement my silver collecting addiction it's not like we as tellers can sit all day and crh lol. Some of the perks are nice though, for one I can usually get a consistent order of a box of halfs a week without any questions but due to our vault size thats about all I can get weekly. I also get to crh all the tellers coins since none of them care for the silver. Other then that in my close to 9 months here haven't really made any huge scores.

The other perk is employees don't have to keep minimum balances in their accounts so I can get the higher end checking accounts for free and use it as leverage at other chase banks as well as
It showing I'm an employee when I swipe my card on their systems.

Other then that the only other perk in being a teller allowed me to see just how many coin roll hunters are around my area and I can amuse myself when people come in asking for halfs or big dollar coins.

Weaselbrott

Aug 12, 2012
Eastern Seaboard
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter- Quick Silver (I know, I am a novice, give me a break! :P)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a teller at a chase in manhattan, and while it's a great way to supplement my silver collecting addiction it's not like we as tellers can sit all day and crh lol. Some of the perks are nice though, for one I can usually get a consistent order of a box of halfs a week without any questions but due to our vault size thats about all I can get weekly. I also get to crh all the tellers coins since none of them care for the silver. Other then that in my close to 9 months here haven't really made any huge scores.

The other perk is employees don't have to keep minimum balances in their accounts so I can get the higher end checking accounts for free and use it as leverage at other chase banks as well as
It showing I'm an employee when I swipe my card on their systems.

Other then that the only other perk in being a teller allowed me to see just how many coin roll hunters are around my area and I can amuse myself when people come in asking for halfs or big dollar coins.

I have probably been one of those people that came into your bank and amused you. Wow, you have some prime CRHing territory, buddy! How many ounces have you stacked away over the months if you don't mind sharing?

Silver89

Greenie
Apr 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have probably been one of those people that came into your bank and amused you. Wow, you have some prime CRHing territory, buddy! How many ounces have you stacked away over the months if you don't mind sharing?

Well I don't really keep track of my coins in terms of ounces but ill give you my breakdown of what I have found since I started this hobby back in April.

6x 90% Halves
123 x 40 % (Made a Big score my first week with a few solid rolls)
92 x Dimes
12 x Silver quarters
9 x War Nickels
2 x Peace dollars, One of which I surprisingly found in a TD machine today that was stuck inside it while I was dumping halves.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread