ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been reading several posts lately about CRHers all across the country losing their buying and/or dumping privileges. Inevitably there will be at least one reply about how the "greedy" CRHers are ruining it for everyone with their mega-box orders and thousands-of-dollars at once dumps. For the most part I disagree.

First off I don't believe that the actions of a few big-time CRHers could change bank policy nationwide. Sure, a single CRHer could definitely affect bank policy at a single branch or even a single city or area, but nationwide?? That seems very unlikely to me. I just don't think that someone ordering 10-20 (or even 100) boxes a week in a single town could change the whole system. It just isn't enough money to the banking system as a whole to raise a red flag. To me, that seems as absurd as driving 50 extra miles one way to buy gasoline 1-2 cents a gallon cheaper. It just doesn't make sense.

The problem, IMO, is the economy...not CRH. As you all know, banks make their income by loaning cash and charging interest on that loan. And let's face it, people aren't borrowing like they were a few years ago. Houses and cars aren't being purchased at nearly the same rate. Throw in the fact that banks are being much more scrutinized and cannot approve a $250,000 loan to any walking stiff that comes through the door and the banking industry is feeling the same pinch that nearly everyone else is. So what do the banks do? Naturally, they look for new ways to earn back their lost income. Much like some airlines have done, many banks are now beginning to "nickel-and-dime" their customers to retrieve some of that lost income. Services that used to be free aren't anymore. Blaming CRHers for these new fees is much like blaming all the new airline fees/surcharges on the people that fly the most often.

Banks are "tightening their belts" just like many of us have had to do. Anything a bank does that does not generate income - like ordering boxes of coins for CRHers - now has the possibility/probability of being discontinued and/or incurring a fee. Did CRHers cause this? No...the economy did. CRH just got caught in the crossfire.

Upvote 0

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
ArkieBassMan said:
I've been reading several posts lately about CRHers all across the country losing their buying and/or dumping privileges. Inevitably there will be at least one reply about how the "greedy" CRHers are ruining it for everyone with their mega-box orders and thousands-of-dollars at once dumps. For the most part I disagree.

First off I don't believe that the actions of a few big-time CRHers could change bank policy nationwide. Sure, a single CRHer could definitely affect bank policy at a single branch or even a single city or area, but nationwide?? That seems very unlikely to me. I just don't think that someone ordering 10-20 (or even 100) boxes a week in a single town could change the whole system. It just isn't enough money to the banking system as a whole to raise a red flag. To me, that seems as absurd as driving 50 extra miles one way to buy gasoline 1-2 cents a gallon cheaper. It just doesn't make sense.

The problem, IMO, is the economy...not CRH. As you all know, banks make their income by loaning cash and charging interest on that loan. And let's face it, people aren't borrowing like they were a few years ago. Houses and cars aren't being purchased at nearly the same rate. Throw in the fact that banks are being much more scrutinized and cannot approve a $250,000 loan to any walking stiff that comes through the door and the banking industry is feeling the same pinch that nearly everyone else is. So what do the banks do? Naturally, they look for new ways to earn back their lost income. Much like some airlines have done, many banks are now beginning to "nickel-and-dime" their customers to retrieve some of that lost income. Services that used to be free aren't anymore. Blaming CRHers for these new fees is much like blaming all the new airline fees/surcharges on the people that fly the most often.

Banks are "tightening their belts" just like many of us have had to do. Anything a bank does that does not generate income - like ordering boxes of coins for CRHers - now has the possibility/probability of being discontinued and/or incurring a fee. Did CRHers cause this? No...the economy did. CRH just got caught in the crossfire.

You hit the nail on the head Arkie.
The banks are not doing well, and are looking for any means necessary to cut back on expenses to stay afloat.
HH
Rich

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, and Whites IDX Pro
ArkieBassMan said:

thank u. well said

freddy williams

Oct 9, 2010
Alabama/ Ohio
Detector(s) used
GTI-2500, Whites V3, xplorer XS Cortes & XLT Cibola Tesoro Tiger shark Now using a Xterra 705, Ace 350...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you know it is getting bad when your own bank stops accepting your coin roll orders I asked then to order me 2 new boxes of dimes and they refused they said they cannot do that anymore . so I told them it was okay I have been thinking of changing banks anyways I will let you know. the manager wanted to talk as I was going out the door I simply told her I had to get back to work and I would be back in on Friday to talk..

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I agree with what you said but isn't it quite the slap in the face when we (those who actually pay taxes) where the ones who bailed out a large portion of the banks in the US when they got in trouble? Not only have they "stolen" from the taxpaying citizens, now they are bending us over for a second shakedown by charging for every service they provide.

My take on this is stretch these banks as far as you can till they cut you off. Keep your financial business with credit unions who still provides free checking accounts and free services to those who own the CU. Call me spiteful but I really don't give a rats you-know-what if they incur charges for my hobby.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
I just wanted to make this clear. I'm not blaming one or two CRHers who do large quantities on this (I don't have a problem with that because I would do it too if I had the funds) but it's more so the quantity of new CRHers that have popped up. New CRHers can add exponential numbers of boxes banks have to order vs. a monster searcher whom despite the large amount ordered is limited since they can only carry out so much in a day. I think given a new group of CRHers overloading banks with half orders makes them charge fees or just turn people down. I've spoken to many banks that I order at. Many of them don't have the space to keep halves or extra boxes of coins around. They usually have enough space for their own coins for commerce. If I order, I have to pick up the coins the same day. If I pickup a few days late, they don't like it. Say if they get 4 other different people that want to order 2 boxes each in addition to what I order. They will be severely inconvenienced and are either going to charge or turn people down. They know that people aren't ordering these for in use in supermarkets. Last year, I had some other guy order 4 boxes of halves the same time I did. They eventually turned the guy away since he didn't pick up right away and he also brought dumps back to them. If banks got an increase in CRHers, they will have to turn some people away since their space and quantities of cash and coin that they can order a week are limited. This is true based on conversations that I've had with tellers whom I order from. I actually had a branch that allowed me to order for a month and turn me down later saying that it was messing up their counts of cash for commerce that they regularly order.

Sure it's true that banks will nickel and dime people to make money back but yet they say that they can't give out loans to people like they did. I've heard a lot of stories about banks being overly tight in loans to even small businesses that have been around for a long time that need loans to operate. If they want, they can open up the loan market to people. It's really up to them. The whole real estate fall made them overly cautious. I'm sure there's still a lot of people that still need loans out there and perhaps the banks should lighten up a bit.

Just my 2 cents

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Very well said, Arkie. The banks are just the latest in the wave of "make money on every service" mentality, as well trying to weed out any costs to the banks.

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
AGCoinHunter said:

I agree with what you said but isn't it quite the slap in the face when we (those who actually pay taxes) where the ones who bailed out a large portion of the banks in the US when they got in trouble? Not only have they "stolen" from the taxpaying citizens, now they are bending us over for a second shakedown by charging for every service they provide.

My take on this is stretch these banks as far as you can till they cut you off. Keep your financial business with credit unions who still provides free checking accounts and free services to those who own the CU. Call me spiteful but I really don't give a rats you-know-what if they incur charges for my hobby.

Well said :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Rich

markmopar

Feb 15, 2008
southern NJ/southeast VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ArkieBassMan said:

You can add to the fact that the Financial Reform Bill pushed through Congress took away a lot of areas of profit the banks had. So they're turning to other areas to try and make up for it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread