Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It was the second find of the evening, in the second-to-last hole. First find was half of a medium-sized patterned tombac button, right after I complained to myself that I wasn't finding anything. Buttons in this field ring in the 60s-70s on the AT Pro. Then, as the sun went down, I got a mixed iron/high tone that was consistently iron and consistently something else, probably a button ~ or so I thought. It was pretty deep, about 8"-10" down under a small nail fragment.

Here it is, post-peroxide. During its baths I could make out enough detail to logically determine the date and variety (see below). It's pretty toasted, but my second pre-1800 American coin. Sold the 1793 Flowing Hair last night on eBay for $1200, which will go into our savings and maybe help with Christmas money this year. I can tell people that all our gifts for them only cost a penny! Ha!

1797 LC - F.jpg 1797 LC - B.jpg

1797 LC - E.jpg

If you look closely below the bust, you can see the top of the last 2 digits. Barely visible is the upper enclosure of the 9, which would not be there on a 0. There is a top crossbar on the last digit, which indicates a 7 or a 5, but two things keep it from being a 5: (a) the DB series began in 1796, and (b) from the top crossbar, the extension downward is on the back of the digit (7) instead of the front (5).

The reverse wreath has stems under the bow, and the edge has very faint pockmark-type indentations. This indicates the "Gripped Edge" variety reverse of 1795 rather than the reverse of 1797.

Thanks for looking 8-)

P.S. That's World Without End I'm reading. Fantastic book, along with its prequel, Pillars of the Earth. Ken Follett is a master, and don't miss his more "modern" series, Fall of Giants and Winter of the World.

Last edited:
Upvote 8

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT with 10"DD coil, Sun Ray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya that thing is toasted but Id take that find any day of the week & it might just make my whole year! I've never found a 1700's coin to date:BangHead: Nice job & a great find! I did get a phenomenal deal at a local auction on an 1804 half cent in about uncirculated condition for $65 that's almost as good as finding one with my detector!

Last edited:

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go on the Draped Bust large cent. Always a great feeling to dig those early coppers, even if they're corroded.

OP
OP
cti4sw

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Way to go on the Draped Bust large cent. Always a great feeling to dig those early coppers, even if they're corroded.

Yeah, it definitely is. My second DB LC ever, one from each coast 8-)

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
cti4sw

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ya that thing is toasted but Id take that find any day of the week & it might just make my whole year! I've never found a 1700's coin to date:BangHead: Nice job & a great find! I did get a phenomenal deal at a local auction on an 1804 half cent in about uncirculated condition for $65 that's almost as good as finding one with my detector!

That's odd, bc I sold an 1804 stemless plain 4 half cent in EF for about that much not too long ago. Came from the same field, too.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find, I'm really wanting to find a 1700's coin now. Hopefully it's just a matter of time, digging, and swinging that coil.

OP
OP
cti4sw

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice find, I'm really wanting to find a 1700's coin now. Hopefully it's just a matter of time, digging, and swinging that coil.

Idk what you use, but on my ATP the LCs ring in a solid 80-81 but may drop a decade if there is iron under the coil as well. If it's consistent, I dig it.

Ifoundit69

Saving the past one find at a time !
Dec 5, 2007
Lancaster ,VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum Xlt ,Fisher 1270, Fisher F5 ,Fisher F2, , Ctx 3030 ,Nokta Anfibio,Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome score !

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT with 10"DD coil, Sun Ray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's odd, bc I sold an 1804 stemless plain 4 half cent in EF for about that much not too long ago. Came from the same field, too.

No kidding? This wasn't it as it, it came from an Indianapolis auction house out of a big collection & it definitely didn't come out of the ground. It's in well above what I call EF condition it is AU all the way, has as little wear as it could possibly have, just enough IMO to take it out of the uncirculated class but maybe not, it's pristine enough it really might be worth having it graded & it hasn't been cleaned or anything.

OP
OP
cti4sw

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
No kidding? This wasn't it as it, it came from an Indianapolis auction house out of a big collection & it definitely didn't come out of the ground. It's in well above what I call EF condition it is AU all the way, has as little wear as it could possibly have, just enough IMO to take it out of the uncirculated class but maybe not, it's pristine enough it really might be worth having it graded & it hasn't been cleaned or anything.

That's a great steal for $65, then :D

Sobo

Apr 29, 2011
Detector(s) used
Ctx 3030, Omega 8500, AT Pro, Ace 150, Explorer XS, Explorer SE / Sunray Probe, Bounter Hunter Land Ranger Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Still waiting to find an American large copper, hope I find one before Jack Frost comes....and he's almost here lol.

TOMBAC

Nov 24, 2012
new jersey
Detector(s) used
dfx, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations, im thrilled finding large coppers as im sure you are. I found a 1793 capped bust yesterday in just a little better condition than your coin, however its in bad shape. I thank you for your detailed information describing your coin since it has given me valuable information regarding my coin.Good luck in your future digs.

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any early copper is a good one in my book! Congrats. :hello2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread