Bannerstone cache

Status
Not open for further replies.

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
I hold my ground, although I bent a rule. I bought a nice cache from an elderly friend of my family's. his grandfather found all of these in 1920 while plowing behind a mule. He was plowing a garden spot when the largest banner stone rolled out. On the way back down, while making another row, the small one was found. Both were in meant condition and the garden spot was moved. Within a circle 7 foot in circumference all of what I'm about to show was found. I have drooled over these pieces my whole life and never saw them as part of my collection. My friend, who ask that I not put his name on the net is elderly and has cancer that has been in remission. He didn't say if its slipping back on him or not, but death seems heavy on his mind. These great artifacts are hard for me to enjoy knowing that a great friend and server of this country is stressed over money, health care, death and who will respect his treasures after death takes it's toll. I gave a pretty penny for this stuff but also granted permission to hunt the farm where these were found. I hope in time I'll enjoy these more. They are great!

image-2250101368.jpg

image-4149590421.jpg

image-313615007.jpg

image-3944049328.jpg

image-159691000.jpg

image-791025969.jpg

image-39123964.jpg

image-3086115199.jpg

image-4079986905.jpg

image-3086115199.jpg

image-4079986905.jpg

image-1648304160.jpg

image-2354354910.jpg

image-2068319012.jpg

image-1066476999.jpg

image-936345512.jpg

image-1573951801.jpg

image-1854957602.jpg

He also threw this in.

image-628766910.jpg

image-636952180.jpg

image-2883834451.jpg

Thanks for the view. Hope you enjoy!!

Upvote 0
WOW! that three hole gorget! Just Wow.. all of it! Good for you Rusty.

Nothing like helping out a friend in need. Better you get them than somebody who might try to profit from them. Yeah I sell but dont make hardly any profit. Those pieces are very nice.

Nothing like helping out a friend in need. Better you get them than somebody who might try to profit from them. Yeah I sell but dont make hardly any profit. Those pieces are very nice.

Thanks Rock. Yep, I had first dibs on these because the owner knew I'd have them until my time becomes short.

Those would be a nice family pass down. Hopefully when you are old there will be somebody in your family that will enjoy them after you are gone. HH, rock

Hmmm.....I'll be the first to admit that I don't know much about artifacts from your area. However, those are some....."interesting" pieces. You might want to get a second opinion on them from other collectors in your area. :icon_scratch:

Hippy

you can honor this fellow by documenting his story with as much detail as you can, photograph each piece and get its story. Get names, dates, places, his reaction...everything you can think of. And keep this info together with the artifacts. Otherwise these pieces eventually just become cool rocks on somebodies shelf.

you can honor this fellow by documenting his story with as much detail as you can, photograph each piece and get its story. Get names, dates, places, his reaction...everything you can think of. And keep this info together with the artifacts. Otherwise these pieces eventually just become cool rocks on somebodies shelf.

Absolutely ..
That would also give solid provinence on the collection making the sum worth more than the individual parts.

I know the finder's name and got them from his grandson, who is elderly now. I know the farm and that they were unearthed in 1920. I also know something I shouldn't let you guys know, but since I don't sell artifacts, it doesn't matter. The finder, my friend's grandpa cleaned these with bleach in 1920. It probably hurts the monetary some, but that's what happened. These are real no doubt.

Beautiful collection! Those look like very important pieces of N. Carolina's natural history. There ain't no telling the story that goes along with them or how such materials were traded to get here. I'd say they are in good hands with you, you won't ever let 'em go. 8-)

Beautiful collection! Those look like very important pieces of N. Carolina's natural history. There ain't no telling the story that goes along with them or how such materials were traded to get here. I'd say they are in good hands with you, you won't ever let 'em go. 8-)

My friend's grandpa gave these to him before his death. Now, my good friend is elderly and needed a person to carry on the story behind these artifacts. The large piece and the small piece were both plowed up by a mule while plowing a garden spot. I have known about these pieces since I was a little boy. My friend has a hand written description of these finds. He told me to stop by and get the writing. I guess I better do that soon. Thanks BMartin!!

What a special once in a lifetime find. And what an honor bestowed up you to have and keep them. Beautiful pieces of history you have in your hands.....

That was an amazing find. Thanks for sharing.

I really wish I could have been the finder. They are immaculate pieces, but still have something missing. That feeling! The feeling I have had over the find of a cool geofact (before learning it to be a geofact). I can see how dealers become dealers, numb to the excitement, after finding tables full of what we dream of every time we set out on a hunt. These were a friends. I can't imagine buying a piece found by a stranger. I'll not say never, but I can't see ever buying a piece at a yard sale found by Jon Doe. Y'all feel me?

Yeah its a different feeling. Once you actually pull one with your own hands you feel much better than if you bought it. Even the field grade (ugly ones) feels good when you find it in the dirt. I guess maybe when I am too old to walk a field I might enjoy buying one but now I can still walk just fine.

I really wish I could have been the finder. They are immaculate pieces, but still have something missing. That feeling! The feeling I have had over the find of a cool geofact (before learning it to be a geofact). I can see how dealers become dealers, numb to the excitement, after finding tables full of what we dream of every time we set out on a hunt. These were a friends. I can't imagine buying a piece found by a stranger. I'll not say never, but I can't see ever buying a piece at a yard sale found by Jon Doe. Y'all feel me?

I can't see myself as a collector actually purchasing any unless they were acquired under the same circumstances - I can sooo see myself doing that. Sure, I'd love to look for/ look at, drool over and study pieces from around the US and abroad but I can't see purchasing any. As some of the older folks with amazing collections (that are filled by artifacts found in our town) grow older I've wondered whether I'd purchase just to keep them here...

I also can't wrap my mind around someone hunting and finding them solely for financial gain. But I've only ran into one idiot who was hunting strictly to sell...but he was an idiot in so many more ways. I enjoy the hunt. That "treasure finding, omg it's thousands of years old, I'm going to crap myself" feeling of finding something so special. Plus, most of my time hunting just happens to be while gardening, clearing land, shooting guns and other outdoor activities. If its nice out, I'm outside.

In the end, its just how I am...to each their own. I'm not a collector of anything except free rocks, good times and MUSIC. If I were to spend large amounts of money on anything it would be plane tickets around the world, mixed drinks and good live tunes. But I have children...so large amounts of expendable income is...laughable. Large amounts of expendable TIME for collecting is...not happening any time soon.

I can't see myself as a collector actually purchasing any unless they were acquired under the same circumstances - I can sooo see myself doing that. Sure, I'd love to look for/ look at, drool over and study pieces from around the US and abroad but I can't see purchasing any. As some of the older folks with amazing collections (that are filled by artifacts found in our town) grow older I've wondered whether I'd purchase just to keep them here...

I also can't wrap my mind around someone hunting and finding them solely for financial gain. But I've only ran into one idiot who was hunting strictly to sell...but he was an idiot in so many more ways. I enjoy the hunt. That "treasure finding, omg it's thousands of years old, I'm going to crap myself" feeling of finding something so special. Plus, most of my time hunting just happens to be while gardening, clearing land, shooting guns and other outdoor activities. If its nice out, I'm outside.

In the end, its just how I am...to each their own. I'm not a collector of anything except free rocks, good times and MUSIC. If I were to spend large amounts of money on anything it would be plane tickets around the world, mixed drinks and good live tunes. But I have children...so large amounts of expendable income is...laughable. Large amounts of expendable TIME for collecting is...not happening any time soon.

If you weren't married, I'd marry you right now. I've never even seen you, still..... Don't matter. You are the coolest! We may be a bit too alike. Good times and travel! Travel educates one beyond any other! In my situation here, I had to buy those. I know the history from 1920, when they were plowed up by a mule named Stagga. I'm starting to get more stoked about them. Just to see a friend, an elder friend, one I looked up to as well as most everyone else here did, get his ducks lined up, in prep for the last day. It hurt me. It still does, but I do know he is happy about one thing now!

Hey Rusty.. have you ever thought about investing in realestate?
Not trying to sound morbid but you may want to save that piece of land also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back