27.5 KB · Views: 961

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
All I can tell you is that there are collectors of old barbed wire. Not to get your hopes up, but uncommon types can fetch fairly good money (for old rusty metal). They usually prefer 18 inch segments for their collections.

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try Miracle Grow, (just funnin) ;D

Fossis....................

I had a small collection once, but got rid of it.

M

M-60

I think it is old school razor wire. We used three kinds that I know of in Vietnam and razor was one. Barbed was the second and the third was a combination of razor and barb. I think it was more dangerous to the ones stringing it than to the people it was meant to keep out.

OP
OP
scotto

scotto

Bronze Member
Dec 23, 2006
My first M/D find
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
This wire was around a hog farm I found out. Apparently still rolls and rolls of it buried in Northern Illinois there.

Irish Finn

Mar 31, 2007
Chicago Fed District
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember when I was in grade school we took a trip to DeKalb, IL to the Ellwood mansion. The inventor of barb wire. The high school sport teams are called the Barbs. If you looking for info go to DeKalb.

OP
OP
scotto

scotto

Bronze Member
Dec 23, 2006
My first M/D find
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Irish Finn said:
I remember when I was in grade school we took a trip to DeKalb, IL to the Ellwood mansion. The inventor of barb wire. The high school sport teams are called the Barbs. If you looking for info go to DeKalb.

Where I found the barb wire was about a 20 minute drive from Dekalb. I used to live in Sycamore, right next to Dekalb.
I detassled corn with Cindy Crawford there, when we were both about 16. ;D ;D ;D

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm here
what would you like to know
i live 10 minutes from sycamore
4 blocks from the Ellwood museum
i know secrets 8)

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bw-wormley1875-1.jpg

Vee Plate
Date: Nov. 2, 1875

Hosensack

Apr 20, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Safari,X-Terra 705, Tesoro Tejon, Whites DFX, Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500, 250, Fisher Gold Bug DP,F75 Limited
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel dumb, very new to metal detecting, found an old foundation I believe(daphadils, on the corners of a bare spot in middle of woods). Found some old tool heads,rusted beyond belief but still cool for a newbie. But along the one side I kept finding barbed wire it is a very long run. After I dug it up I went on, getting ticked every time it fooled me. I had no idea it was possibly a good find on its own.

Hosensack

Apr 20, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Safari,X-Terra 705, Tesoro Tejon, Whites DFX, Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500, 250, Fisher Gold Bug DP,F75 Limited
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
scotto said:
Got any pics of the wire you dug up?

old metal detector gave up the ghost, just got my new one last week, going back today to find the wire, will post pictures tonight or tomorrow.

bean man

Sep 2, 2006
Central Iowa
I don't know anything about barb wire Scotto, but that piece you found looks like the cool stuff. Here's some I found in the woods, hanging on a old hedge tree post.
bm

PDR_3821.jpg

PDR_3826.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread