Barbed wire bonanza and two mystery items.

cusedpjd

Jun 4, 2013
Syracuse, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A great day metal detecting in the woods in my yard which used to be a farm. Biggest pieces of barbed wire I've found to date, some of which are looped and one of which has a white pulley attached to it which feels like it is made of stone . I also found that pipe-looking object but have no clue what it is. Best find was the item with the red glass (which says Stimsonite on it) with an intact lightbulb inside. It must be some kind of reflector system, maybe for a motor vehicle? Any help identifying these two objects appreciated. Also, anyone know where I could find someone who may be interested in purchasing my increasingly large barbed wire collection?

finds_6_7_13.jpg stimsonite_vertical.jpg Stimsonite_side.jpg stimsonite_back.jpg pipe_thing_back.jpg pipe_thing_front.jpg

Upvote 2

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been finding enough of that myself in my yard which used to be a farm. :laughing7:Every once in a while i come across a ceramic insulator from the electrified ones. Not sure what your unidentified object is tho.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are people that collect barbed wire but you would need a close up pic to see the style although yours looks pretty modern .

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cusedpjd, that is one heavy duty automotive type light housing thingy! The white pulley thing is an electrical insulator that likely was used for an electric fence animal shocking system, keeps them away from the fences and in where they belong.

Your pictures are great! Farms offer all sorts of detecting opportunities. I would suggest marking the area with a flag of some sort so you can keep track of where what was found as this could help you understand better where to search and why. Old farms have been through tough times and therefor they may have kept a 'bank' at home usually a mason jar with lid buried in the barn, chicken coop, tool shed but at times in sight of the house. Best of luck with your hunting....................63bkpkr

OP
OP
cusedpjd

cusedpjd

Jun 4, 2013
Syracuse, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the insights and enthusiasm. Enjoying my newfound hobby.

OP
OP
cusedpjd

cusedpjd

Jun 4, 2013
Syracuse, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BTW, special thanks to 63bkpkr because looks like you are right about that being an end post insulator. Looks like they are made out of porcelain which is what it feels like now that I read that. I found one that looks just like it here:Large : White Corner-End Post < Electric Fence Insulators |Fi-Shock

I may take that lighting system into NAPA tomorrow to see if anyone can help me more precisely ID it. I found it next to a piece or barbed wire. Any chance it could be part of the electrical barbed wire fence system? Although I am not sure why they would put a Stimsonite reflector on it if that was the reason unless it was to help see part of the the fence at night.

NJcigarman

May 25, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,Whites Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Stimsonite made tail lights/reflectors for lots of now vintage cars.

Project Pat

Tenderfoot
Nov 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did some looking around and it looks like the Right tail light from a 1952 Plymouth Cranbrook. What a cool find.

OP
OP
cusedpjd

cusedpjd

Jun 4, 2013
Syracuse, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW! You are right. Project Pat, how did you find that?

Project Pat

Tenderfoot
Nov 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used the casting numbers that are on the tail light and looked it up that way.

OP
OP
cusedpjd

cusedpjd

Jun 4, 2013
Syracuse, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. Can you give the name of the website where I can look that up too or the name of the book if you looked it up that way.

Project Pat

Tenderfoot
Nov 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used google and typed in the words tail light casting # cb17222 and I was able to find it that way. Hope that is a help to you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread