Barber Dime! 48-S Quarter! And a Fried Merc.!

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Went right back to the area in a San Francisco park where I found the 1909-O Barber dime and a 1917-S merc two weeks ago. Right off the bat I Dug the mercury dime, it was only 30 minutes after starting. It's probably one of the worst condition mercs I've ever dug. It is a 194? The barber dime a 1906-O that was right on top of a gopher mound! Only 1 or two inches dirt over the top of it! The silver quarter was another gopher gift, right on top of another mound at 2 inches! Also dug 5 wheaties, a Fiji 5 cent piece, and a token.

Attachments

• 1906-OBarber Merc Quarter210.jpg
    1906-OBarber Merc Quarter210.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 626
  • Clean1906-OBarber Merc Quarter214.jpg
    Clean1906-OBarber Merc Quarter214.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 618
  • Reverse1906-O215.jpg
    Reverse1906-O215.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 632
  • Figi Nickel and Token216.jpg
    Figi Nickel and Token216.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 629
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Cool Hand Fluke

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
becky21b said:
I gotta get up there one weekend.... does anyone give you any hassle when your there?

I've been hunting the S.F. parks for over 20 years. Only had trouble one time about 10 weeks ago. Just stay out of the Marina Green, The Presidio, and Sutro Park and you should be OK. Always bring a hunting buddie and some pepper spray. I had to fight off a angry dog at a S.F. park last year, one blast in this face and he went running!

becky21b

Jul 12, 2010
Santa Cruz, Ca
I've been hunting the S.F. parks for over 20 years. Only had trouble one time about 10 weeks ago. Just stay out of the Marina Green, The Presidio, and Sutro Park and you should be OK. Always bring a hunting buddie and some pepper spray. I had to fight off a angry dog at a S.F. park last year, one blast in this face and he went running!
[/quote]

Wow really.. angry dog huh? I woulda figured more like an angry hobo.. lol but thanks for the tip... I don't have any friends that metal detect, so Im on my own anywhere I go. I try not to go anywhere that may be sketchy and I usually have a knife on my belt, I should go buy some pepper spray its easier to use at more of a distance.

OP
OP
Cool Hand Fluke

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
becky21b said:

Wow really.. angry dog huh? I woulda figured more like an angry hobo.. lol but thanks for the tip... I don't have any friends that metal detect, so Im on my own anywhere I go. I try not to go anywhere that may be sketchy and I usually have a knife on my belt, I should go buy some pepper spray its easier to use at more of a distance.
[/quote]

You know something...You're right about the hobos! I forgot about those guys.. I've never had any real trouble with them, but they will bug you sometimes. Some of those guys a mentally ill, they will mainly just get a little weird and vocal. I've never known one who got physical.

Blind Squirrel

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE, Whites PI Pro, Ace 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice silvers :icon_thumright: Congrats!!!

oddcoins

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2006
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac ~ DetectorPro Pocket Uniprobe
Wow man ~ they just keep popping out for you! The gopher mound gifts are awesome! HA AH HA HA!!! Congrat's

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_scratch: Hmmm never thought abot gophers and coins , ??? I guess they don't like silver coins . Lil varmits ;D

liberty36

Greenie
Jan 26, 2011
Hey Mike looks like another good day for you. Is that your second O mint marked dime? Stuck here in Alaska for another week.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice silver day !

That merc is in hard shape, looks like it came from a salt environment.

Tom Bigbee

Feb 17, 2009
Miss/ Ala
Detector(s) used
1266X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You should be feeding those gophers regularly! Keep posting that wonderful park silver!

OP
OP
Cool Hand Fluke

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
liberty36 said:
Hey Mike looks like another good day for you. Is that your second O mint marked dime? Stuck here in Alaska for another week.

Hey Bob! Yes! Two New Orleans Barber Dimes in two weeks. They were only 30 feet apart!

mcmurphi

Feb 5, 2007
Tacoma, WA
Detector(s) used
White's DFX β€’ Fisher CZ-21
The token you found there is kinda cool; but I'd take the silver too. Congrats.

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet finds once again Mike. Don't you love it when those pocket gophers do the dirty work for ya :laughing7: I like that token thingy too. Looks like that parks been good to you. Bet there's a whole lot more down in the ground there ::)

mr_larry

Jun 22, 2010
Northern California
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a great haul Mike! Those gophers are doing a lot of the work for you! I've never had a gopher hole find but I always hit their little mounds of dirt.
It's funny about the dogs, because I get dogs growling at me from time to time while detecting. It makes me wonder if they can sense something from the detector that they do not like.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread