Barber drop

T

TreasurdiggrNY

Hey Everyone,
Got out to an old house with a friend of mine. Had my best day detecting yet. It started with a signal that bounced around between dime and quarter on my F2. I dug in and pulled out a 1913 S Barber dime, I yelled to my buddy "I got a Barber dime!" he came over, we looked over the coin and chatted a little. I told him this was my first Barber dime and my oldest coin so far. Getting back to the hunting I said, "everyone says you need to check the hole before you fill it in right?" I swing the coil over the hole and got a solid quarter signal, I don't have to tell you how excited I was, but I was very excited. I told my buddy, "there's something else in there". I knelt down and as I moved some dirt around with my hand I caught a glimpse of the edge of a coin, I said "there it is" I pulled it out. It was a 1912 Barber quarter :o couldn't believe it, my new oldest coin ever and my first Barber quarter.
First Barber dime, first Barber quarter, first hunt with more than one silver, first hole with more than one silver in it,oldest coin to date AND my buddy was with me which really made it great, I'll never forget this day.
Thanks for looking,
Glenn

Attachments

• 3-15-08 001.jpg
    3-15-08 001.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 932
  • 3-15-08 004.jpg
    3-15-08 004.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 923
  • 3-15-08 005.jpg
    3-15-08 005.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 936
  • 3-15-08 006.jpg
    3-15-08 006.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 935
  • 3-15-08 007.jpg
    3-15-08 007.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 927
Upvote 0

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
35 cents was a fair amount of money in the 19teens. someone must have been pretty bummed about losing it. great finds!

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
Awesome! Your in the silver club now! I still havn't found my first silver yet. Which sucks! I will get one soon though! :thumbsup: Keep up the great hunting!!! ;D

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wasn't that a rush??

WTG on the Barber spill :thumbsup:

We both found our first Barber dime on the same day..I found a 1914 early this afternoon! You got the bonus prize though with the quarter!

Congrats
Nat

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Glenn , OUTSTANDING , CONGRATS MAN :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I would have not believed it if that was me standing over that hole WOW!!!!! Very happy for ya,,,,,, this is one for the books ... GUZZ1

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
WTG, Glenn! If anyone deserves the riches of the earth you're a top contender!

Take me along on your next hunt and if you run out of pocket space I'll hold your silver for you. I'll bring my deep pockets to also hold mine. Hope I don't get confused!

Edward
Silver Fox

LI Tom

Bronze Member
Oct 19, 2006
Outstanding finds Glenn!!!Finding Barbers in the city parks isnt easy and finding 2 in one hunt is awesome. :thumbsup:

taropatch

Dec 24, 2007
great finds! You didn't ding it -- good for you.
And of course you didn't rub the date did you? :-)

oddcoins

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2006
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac ~ DetectorPro Pocket Uniprobe
WOW ~ congrat's on the Barber coinage! WTG!!!

I've dug a dozen or so Barber Dimes, but never a Barber quarter!

Thanks for sharing!
Neil

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Congrats on recovering that pair of Barbers! I've found handfuls of each, but never multiples together. That $.35 was a huge loss to whoever dropped them. I always wonder what a particular spill might have bought when it was lost.

EZrider

Mar 10, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP ORX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LI Tom I beleave Glenn was at an old house site with a friend and not a city park :tongue3: Glenn you did good! That had to be a blast digging them up!

Joe G

Dec 3, 2004
Long Island
Detector(s) used
Exp II, Fisher CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome digs! Never found two silvers in a hole before (let alone Barbers)You deserved that bro'!!! Congrats! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
T

TreasurdiggrNY

Natman said:
Wasn't that a rush??

WTG on the Barber spill :thumbsup:

We both found our first Barber dime on the same day..I found a 1914 early this afternoon! You got the bonus prize though with the quarter!

Congrats
Nat
Definitely a rush Natman, I saw your finds when I went to post mine and said , "holy, Natman had the same results as me" too funny. Your '28 SLQ with the readable date is just as nice as my Barber though, nice hunt.

kevo said:
wow...nice finds. What a great dime to add to a collection huh. Worth a little $$$
Thanks kevo, didn't know what I had til I checked the guide, couldn't ask for a better first.... OK maybe the 1894-S ;D

GoldenRoyBoy said:
That is, and this is a terrific post!
Congrats!

GRB
Thanks GRB

Stormfighter said:
Great Find!! Congratulations :thumbsup: DAN
Thanks Dan

silverfreak said:
[email protected]rats on a great hunt. The barbers are SWEET. Now you're spoiled. :thumbsup:
Thanks silverfreak, the Barber series have a great look don't they? I've done mostly beach hunting since starting in November and have 3 gold rings. Since the ground has thawed and I'm able to dig in the dirt I have to say there is definitely something special about hitting on the silver, I'm hooked.

plehbah said:
Congratulations on the Barber spill. I would definitely be excited to find that one. I have found Barber age spills before, but never one with two or more silver coins in it.
Thanks plehbah, a definite rush and something I'll always remember.
Glenn

OP
OP
T

TreasurdiggrNY

guzz1 said:
Glenn , OUTSTANDING , CONGRATS MAN :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I would have not believed it if that was me standing over that hole WOW!!!!! Very happy for ya,,,,,, this is one for the books ... GUZZ1
Thanks Guzz1, Yeah Man I couldn't believe it either what a rush, my buddy is a super nice guy and was just as excited as me. It's funny because our last time out he got the goods, this time I got some. Next time we both hit it.

jimmy5503 said:
Great digs!!! HH
Thanks jimmy5503

Silver Fox said:
WTG, Glenn! If anyone deserves the riches of the earth you're a top contender!

Take me along on your next hunt and if you run out of pocket space I'll hold your silver for you. I'll bring my deep pockets to also hold mine. Hope I don't get confused!

Edward
Silver Fox
Thanks for the kind words Edward, we'll have to get out for sure. I know that deep pocket trick though :tongue3:

sonny60 said:
that's a good day
Thanks sonny60

LI Tom said:
Outstanding finds Glenn!!!Finding Barbers in the city parks isnt easy and finding 2 in one hunt is awesome. :thumbsup:
Thanks LI Tom, definitely a rush. Not found at a park though, Joe G is the Barber-in-the-park guy :D

taropatch said:
great finds! You didn't ding it -- good for you.
And of course you didn't rub the date did you? :-)
Thanks taropatch, rub the date :icon_scratch: I would never do that ::) OK I did it, I did it but I couldn't help myself.

oddcoins said:
WOW ~ congrat's on the Barber coinage! WTG!!!

I've dug a dozen or so Barber Dimes, but never a Barber quarter!

Thanks for sharing!
Neil
Thanks Neil, you make some great finds, you'll get one for sure.

halfdime said:
Congrats on recovering that pair of Barbers! I've found handfuls of each, but never multiples together. That $.35 was a huge loss to whoever dropped them. I always wonder what a particular spill might have bought when it was lost.
Thanks halfdime, I always wondered the same. The coins were worth more than the modern day clad, amazing that there is so much out there.

EZrider said:
LI Tom I beleave Glenn was at an old house site with a friend and not a city park :tongue3: Glenn you did good! That had to be a blast digging them up!
Thanks EZrider, It was great.

Joe G said:
Awesome digs! Never found two silvers in a hole before (let alone Barbers)You deserved that bro'!!! Congrats! :thumbsup:
Thanks for the kind words Joe G definitely lucky this day.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread