Barber Half and some sadness

chiloquin

Dec 21, 2011
Coeur D'Alene, Idaho
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got out today for a little while trying some tips from Andy's book. I live in Oregon and have several old parks in my town that have been hunted for the past 20 some odd years. The park was a camping park in the late 1800s and is now the major park in the town. I have been hunting the park steady for the past year or so and have found a couple silver rings and a lot of clad. Today I decided to hit a part with some old trees that I have not hunted before. I started going slow and trying to pick out the good signals from the iron when I heard a faint repeatable tone in the 70s. I could tell there were several iron pieces near it but the signal dropped when I switched to my 4kHz program. I started hitting roots from the about two inches down and did not stop until the coin popped out from about 9" down. This is my first silver half and sadly, I nicked the front of the coin trying to get through a root.
rage.gif

If you do not have a copy of Andy's book, I recommend getting one soon. I have been making some great deep finds since getting the book, and this coin is just the icing on the cake. Thanks Andy for such a great resource for Deus users. HH

Attachments

• Barber Half.jpg
    Barber Half.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 178
  • Barber Half S.jpg
    Barber Half S.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 152
Upvote 8

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey , nice find ! don't be too hard on yourself - this happens to most of us - I've dinged a Peace dollar , and a Walking Liberty half- to name
just two of mine . I think I remember a post on this site years ago where someone had scratched a 1794 or 95 Flowing Hair half dollar !!!
now that would be tragic .

borntohunt460

Jul 30, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did the same to my first silver half! Mine was a 1943 though. It something extremely painful that's hard to explain the mixed emotions of feeling excited for the find and rage for the nick in the coin.

When it comes down to it, it's hard to take the cautious approach with every target.

Awesome find! I can't wait to find a barber half

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice details on the half! I have done worse to a barber dime. Congrats!

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, a Barber half, that is so cool, I wouldn't even worry about that micro nick, roots are the worse thing sometimes. That is still a beautiful coin, I would love to find any kind of half, great find!

wayfas4u

Mar 29, 2010
Lee county georgia
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett 2500 GTI, Garrett AT Pro & AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice find, I know them roots can be a challenge to dig around! Tell me more about Andy's book......order from the internet?

Col.Philo95thNY

Jul 27, 2007
Ocala, Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MineLab Explorer I & II, SE Pro, Fisher CZ-20, Fisher 6a, Bounty Hunter LandStar
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Nice condition, and a S mint mark, so someone from San Francisco was playing in your back yard.

When you dig and start getting roots, move 5 to 7 inches from the signal and see if you have an open spot to dig. Then once under the roots, use your pin pointer to know exactly where the target is and dig out side ways... Or, have a long screw driver and work with that. As other have said, we all at one time or other nick or scratch our finds... HH...

Philo

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Find man!...Im dying to find a big Barber like that!..That mark isnt too bad...ive sliced down the whole front of one of my mine :(

OP
OP
chiloquin

chiloquin

Dec 21, 2011
Coeur D'Alene, Idaho
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks all for the relies. I guess it's better to have it in my collection and not still pining for me in the ground. :laughing7:

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The sadness is by far outweighed by the happiness. That's a grand old coin who has been through many wars. One more scar will not detract.
So, unless you sell your finds, it's not even worth mentioning. It won't change the memory of finding it nor the happiness of being able to see it anytime you wish.

Digging in tough ground, roots, gravel, hardpacked, are always going to pose the danger of hitting a coin. Just try to be patient and don't dig when over tired. Most, will come out good.

WTG!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread