Barber Half Dollar & an 1862 Boot Pistol to Boot

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven’t much time to post lately, but I never found a boot pistol or any type of gun and decided on taking the time for this quick post. The barrel and wooden grips sadly deteriorated away a long time ago. It’s a Frank Wesson .22 boot pistol, manufactured in Worcester, MA and dates to 1862. It was a concealed type weapon carried for personal defense. This site also offered up a Barber Half and a Barber Dime only 20’ apart in a field that was mostly overgrown, and yes – it’s got me thinking what else might be found if the field was cut low. The boot pistol was found on the other side of the property near a cellar hole.

I added a few more finds recovered so far this summer, but I also tossed in some interesting lead recoveries from a Continental Army campsite from the Revolutionary War; they were recovered back in the spring. I would like to post them as a catch-up post. I’ve been too much of a lurker lately. Good Hunting to all T-Net Members!

DSCN0290.JPG
pistol and coins as dug

PICTURES DOWNLOADED ON 7-17-16 010.JPG
pistol and coins after being treated

DSCN0291.JPG
Here's a non-dug Frank Wesson pistol. the internet is so awesome. I was able to ID the pistol in about five minutes, although it sat in the trunk of my car for the better of a day :tongue3: - I thought it was a kid's cap gun until I thought better of it recalling the heavy weight of the pistol's frame.

DOWNLOADED PICTURES 7-16-16 044.JPG
A nice Liverpool Halfpenny Token - I dug this coin and the Liberty Seated dime below at the site where my GWI button was recovered back in 2014. Soil is quite forgiving of old coppers.

DOWNLOADED PICTURES 7-16-16 040.JPG
reverse side of Liverpool token with crisp 1792 date

DOWNLOADED PICTURES 7-16-16 028.JPG
1875 Liberty Seated dime

DOWNLOADED PICTURES 7-16-16 030.JPG
My son spotted the Liberty Seated dime in the hole in about a nanosecond and snatched it up as fast as a rattlesnake strike.

PICTURES DOWNLOADED ON 7-17-16 012.JPG
My one and only love token. It's a bit strange - no reeded-edge and engraved on both sides.

PICTURES DOWNLOADED ON 7-17-16 013.JPG
Other side of love token.

temp 021.JPG
Lead balls from the Revolutionary War campsite. One of the balls had extraction marks from being pulled out of a barrel - jammed ball.

temp 032.JPG
Lead balls make into a whirlgig/buzzer and some very interesting finds - gambling chips. One was taco'd from a plow strike. My buddy invited me to this spot where he found quite a few chips, all of which were engraved with numbered marks - /, //, ///, etc.

Attachments

• DOWNLOADED PICTURES 7-16-16 047.JPG
    DOWNLOADED PICTURES 7-16-16 047.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 162
  • DOWNLOADED PICTURES 7-16-16 048.JPG
    DOWNLOADED PICTURES 7-16-16 048.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 151
Upvote 35

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds there. :thumbsup: The boot pistol and halfpenny token are stunning. Get back there and find the barrel.

OP
OP
Silver Tree Chaser

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds !! But having your son there to play in the dirt with Dad is my favorite!!

It's his favorite too. After seeing it, he tells people that he is world famous. Who knows? All he needs is a couple of catch phrases and perhaps some cable network will sign him up for his own treasure hunting reality show.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
That's a cool love token Jim, but that half penny token is killer!! Very unique and in awesome condition. Glad to see you're getting out for a little swinging.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice post! I knew there would be more old treasures not mentioned in your title...

Amazing half penny token. And the condition? It just doesn't get any better than that...

The love token engraved on both sides is a rare find. It's simply amazing!

Thanks for such an awesome post Jim!

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome post! That boot pistol is killer... something like that is a dream find for me and hopefully one day it happens. I've never seen a Liverpool token and that thing looks great. I really like the ship and shield on it and yours has a very nice patina. Great finds man.

OP
OP
Silver Tree Chaser

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice post! I knew there would be more old treasures not mentioned in your title...

Amazing half penny token. And the condition? It just doesn't get any better than that...

The love token engraved on both sides is a rare find. It's simply amazing!

Thanks for such an awesome post Jim!

My thanks to you all other members for the kind compliments. Oftentimes it seems that I'm too busy to post finds with work, family, etc. All the encouragement provided by forum members will keep me going - researching, sweeping, digging, and of course, posting on T-Net. Thanks again for all the nice replies! :thumbsup:

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the great looking relics and coins! :occasion14: GL & HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread