Barber Half

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this a week ago just got the dirt off. 20180417_174043.jpg 20180417_174001.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 59

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a strong XF grade to me - some might say AU. One thing is certain, that is a high grade coin for being dug up !

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That sure is a beautiful coin!

Nicely done, and all the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Four a week ago just got the dirt off. View attachment 1579187 View attachment 1579188

Thanks for all the Reply's (I have not read them yet).

Just wanted to say my Lovely (in a hurry ) lol Wife took a picture of the coin for me using her I-Phone .

Title should say 'Dug' of course & sorry the pic's posted side-ways.

This was a Dream Coin for me , here in the Broke , less populated South , It was dug just outside Atlanta.
Thanks
Davers

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bucket-lister......:dontknow:

Yes sir it was. Def, a BIG TIME Bucket Lister.

I love Pink Floyd .

So I use 'Great Gig In The Sky' or GGIS , List.
Thanks For your Comments.
Davers

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
AMAZING coin to dig! BIG congratulations out to ya and thanks for posting.

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
That's awesome, Davers! I would have loved to see you doing the jig over that one!
PTL ~ Sis

Yak1366

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2017
Ringgold, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett ATPro, ProPointer AT, Retriever II
Primary Interest:
Other
Excellent Find Bud!!! :icon_thumright:

32 years ago I dug my 1st and only Barber half. An 1899 with no mint mark.

Beautiful condition yours is. Is that your 1st?

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah you should be sorry for those sideways pictures. JK
What a great specimen from the dirt. Congrats to you. A lot of non-coin-collector people think a VG coin is mint. This is a pretty high grade coin from dirt...it happens.

pescadore

Mar 4, 2007
Schertz, TX
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Man, that's a beauty !!! I haven't dug a Barber Half only the dime and quarter. Congrats on the great big silver find.

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Such a nice coin Davers. You ought to tell us more about it.

Congrats sir!

Well Tom since you asked first.

I love to rant & give TMI, I will try not to make this long. But :dontknow:

Well I went on one of my usual Civil War Relic Hunts.

Went to a spot where in December my 1 st target of the day was a Nice fried Minnie Ball, then a half mile away & 4 hours later found a 2 ed 3 ringer, then about the 7th hour uncovered a nice Brass Cartridge or Cap box finial.

Figured id try it again as it's Nice Wooded & Peaceful .
The area is in a small valley with 2 fairly steep slopes with a small creek (it drains Storm water mostly) , one side of the hill has some sort of ruins (just concrete foundation walls with the usual trash & very overgrown heck that area is about inaccessible now due to Spring growth.

Must have been 4-7 buildings or Homes , it's hard to date the rubble tho I have seen similar 1920's & even earlier type construction at Fort Oglethorpe GA.

Anyway decided to go slow where I found the first Minnie in Dec, Got a good Signal 75-80 on the G2 + got a fired Minnie , then a few min, later Got a Squashed Gardner bullet 'that was cool as Gardner's are not as common in the South ie, Atlanta area , then another fired but Mushroomed 3 Ringer , then got a Fired but in good shape 'Short En field' or a bullet where the rings were totally pressed in . I was happy BTW , on my Civil War Bullet post from the other day these are the first 4 bullets pictured.

All these were in a 40 Foot wide & about 30 feet up the hillside 'opposite' the ruins. & about 75 feet from the road ( that had several old 18 wheeler tires dumped into the Creek.
Got a few modern bullets , 22 shells & a couple SGB, Head-stamps

Then in some Brush a couple feet up from the creek bed Got a Strong tone & saw 70-80+ flash across the VDI.
I was thinking another Minnie about 4-5 inches deep , I popped a good size wet mud covered Clump.

Saw the round Coin looking thing laying there , first thought was it's a big Aluminum Token of some sort , swung the coil over it (I just recall seeing high 80's then a 90'. ). Picked it up by the edges & rubbed the edge on my shirt ; It was saw the reeds & it came clean just like Silver Coins should.

I was thrilled 'Thanked God' It was so caked with mud & Clay I could not make out the Type , then I saw a Star , and recalled only Barbers & Before had stars on the front:headbang:

Saw that the Star had good detail & the Rims were Full.
I packed it up as softly as I could then set it where I could pick it up on the way out.

I did not look at it for a day or 2 , posted in "Cleaning & Preservation' & Buckleboy's Silver trick , I got no reply's for 2 days ( all I really wanted was the Dirt & Clay off).

I buy coins all the time & knew the Barber Coinage in F+ / Full Liberty were a tad more scarce , Something told me it was a Barber but digging Civil War Bullets there Hey ; YNK.

Finally on Saturday Or Sunday I decided to soak it in Spring Water , then let the Sink water run on it , then I could finally see it was a Barber indeed & 1900 ; hoped for an 'O' mint mark , I have dug only 3 Barber Coins over the years all Dimes & 2 were 'O' mint & the other was a Smooth 'Ag' condition.

Put spring water in a Squirt bottle then sprayed each side over & over again ; that's when I saw the Full Liberty and the 'O' mint mark.

Eventually I used my Step-dad's 'Water-Pick' device that attaches to his Shower head & that blasted 98% of the dirt off , then used my "Softest' make-up brush" to Dab a couple stubborn areas of remaining dirt, did not want to touch the Fields on the face & around the head .

Let's say I'm thrilled , the coin has a bit of staining but I sure did not was a cleaned shiny surface (I made that mistake in the past).
As someone posted in the comments (can not recall who right now "Sorry") but I feel it is a strong XF with the reverse a little better, like most Barber type coins.
I could not ask for a better example of a Dug coin & it really just Popped up out of no-where in the woods.8-)

I can not wait to show my Coin Store Buddy's , as I get the feeling they don't think "Dug" coins can come out that nice.

Well that was not to-to long lol

I'm gonna hit the Sack & reply to the Kind & cool comments that I truly appreciate.

GL HH , God Bless & Dig careful cause "You Never Know What's Next".
Davers :thumbsup:

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Now that's the exciting story we all want to hear from you! Congratulations again! I'm very happy for you! :notworthy:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good job my friend you deserve it

neodetectorist

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2016
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro W Stock coil, Fisher F2 W 8" Concentric and 9.5" NEL DD, XPointer pin pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That looks like it was dropped the day it came out. Nice

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread