Barber + IH in the Deep Turf...5 Silver Day!!

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Hello Everyone,

Today, I decided to detect an old park about 30 mi. away with my md'ing buddies Mike and Jayson. After an hour of hunting, I only had a few wheats while Mike already had 2 silvers with his Exp. XS. I needed to step up the pace. Mike continued to stay at his sizzling pace, pulling an 1889 seated dime right next to me. Congrats, again, Mike!!!

A few minutes later, I finally got my first silver; it turned out to be two-thirds of a silver rosie. Well, I finally broke the ice. After breaking for lunch, we began in another area of the park, and within minutes, I got a nice deep signal, which turned out to be a '42 merc. Working a littler further up the meadow, I got another merc, a '43. Both coins were 7" deep. Continuing in the same meadow, I nailed the '46 rosie, and then got a zinc'y signal which turned out to be an '08 Indian Head (lower right in the pic). I finally ended the day with another silver, my oldest of the day, a 1907S Barber dime. It was a lot of fun out there, especially to go to an area that's been pounded before many times by CA forumites and others, and still dig coins of high caliber.

Total oldies:
1 1907S Barber Dime
1 1908 Indian Head
2 Mercs('43, '42)
2 Rosies('46, '61)
11 Wheats (incl. '10S)

Thanks for looking!!!

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Attachments

• IMG_1257 (900 x 675).jpg
    IMG_1257 (900 x 675).jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 491
Upvote 0

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SLII and the E series DFX and the Minelab ExplorerII
Nice hunt, captn'.

Just out of curiosity, how is that XS? That's the first Explorer, right? I'm going to acquire a Minelab machine at some point and I don't really need the SE model. I've got my eye on a used Exp.II. Is there a huge difference?

Anyway. Congratulations on the old coins. Especially the Barber!

Ridley

OP
OP
Captn SE

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Ridley said:
Nice hunt, captn'.

Just out of curiosity, how is that XS? That's the first Explorer, right? I'm going to acquire a Minelab machine at some point and I don't really need the SE model. I've got my eye on a used Exp.II. Is there a huge difference?

Anyway. Congratulations on the old coins. Especially the Barber!

Ridley

Thanks, Ridley. My buddy has the XS(now discontinued. The Exp. II was its successor). I have an SE. They are very similar machines. All the explorers are based on 28 multi-frequency technology. Both machines are very comparable in depth. The XS is a little prone to its lower/upper shafts loosening a little, but it's not too bad. My buddy just picked up his XS on Ebay the other day, and has already found deep turf silver with it on his first two outings. Before, he was using a spare Exp. II from time to time when another one of our hunting buds came out to join us, so he's got a little experience with the machine. All the Explorers are great at getting the oldies down deep. Go back to your hunted out places, and you won't believe what you missed. Hope you end up getting one soon. You can't go wrong. Love all your posts!!!!

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Sounds like you all had a great hunt, Congrats!!!
Continued Good luck, & Happy hunting~

R

RUDY2003

Great diggs Captn! Love the barber.
I've not even come close to any coin that old yet...

Keep safe and keep diggin'...

oknorom

Sep 17, 2004
Texas
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
hey Dan,

that was a fun hunt. with my girlfriend leaving for a week, i plan on spending lots and lots of time at that park. it seems that every place is brand new with my explorer.

here are my finds from another great hunt with Captain Dan.
HH,
Mike

Attachments

• grp.JPG
    grp.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 295

M-Squared

Mar 4, 2007
Long Beach, California
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum XLT & Bullseye II Probe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I guess I'll know where you be hunting for the next couple of rounds for your first "seated" or have you claimed your first already?

Great finds!

HH from M2

Attachments

• great.gif
    great.gif
    3.6 KB · Views: 209
  • great.gif
    great.gif
    3.6 KB · Views: 222

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007