Barber Quarter comes with rain

pointdlr

Sep 30, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
It has been so dry around here, I practically quit detecting. I don't know about others, but I don't find much in super dry ground. I also don't like digging up concrete, and knowing I am damaging the turf.
We had some nice steady rain last night and into today. Lostlake and I went to our secret little silver park and started swinging. I dug 4 holes at lunch break and got 1 wheatie and the pictured coins. After the literally 1000th hole at this location, I popped out the first Barber coin. It is well worn, which leads me to believe it was lost well into its life. Merc and Rosie were nice to dig(I haven't seen silver in a hole for a long time).
Regards,
Jon Dickinson
www.prehistoricartifacts.com

Attachments

• metaldetecting952008.jpg
    metaldetecting952008.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 430
Upvote 0

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
pointdlr said:
It has been so dry around here, I practically quit detecting. I don't know about others, but I don't find much in super dry ground. I also don't like digging up concrete, and knowing I am damaging the turf.
We had some nice steady rain last night and into today. Lostlake and I went to our secret little silver park and started swinging. I dug 4 holes at lunch break and got 1 wheatie and the pictured coins. After the literally 1000th hole at this location, I popped out the first Barber coin. It is well worn, which leads me to believe it was lost well into its life. Merc and Rosie were nice to dig(I haven't seen silver in a hole for a long time).
Regards,
Jon Dickinson
www.prehistoricartifacts.com

Yes, we got a least a half inch. First measurable rain since the 4th of july Congrats

dasherhunting

Jul 8, 2008
ohio
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Dont think we got that much up here, but I agree I need rain I think if i go over some of the same spots I already have it will ring up things Ive been over any comment on dry versus wet? Dave

dakotama95

Feb 26, 2007
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, White's DFX
Nice Silver. I hit the dirt today also with all the rain. we got about 6 inches of rain here over the last 2 days and it was nice. I have some areas with black dirt which is easy to dig but that clay is like a rock. HH

daytondigger

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2004
Dayton, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5
I hear ya man. It's the same way up here in Dayton. I'll take advantage of the moisture on Sunday. Those finds look like what I typically find at my hotspot, nice mercs and rosies and well worn Barbers. :thumbsup:

John Deere Digger

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2007
So Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX, Prism5, Minelab SE
Great finds, WTG on that barber and the merc. Maybe tommorrow will be my day we had rain too, it should soften the rock hard ground. I need a barber quarter.
JDD

OP
OP
pointdlr

pointdlr

Sep 30, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
Thanks for the comments.

Dasher - I have been detecting less than a year, but I find a huge difference when the ground has moisture.

DaytonDigger - From what I can gather, the park I hunt was used mostly late 30's to Middle 50's. The Barber was probably one that just hung around a long time in circulation. My buddy found one V nickel and I popped one Indian head, but everything else falls into that era. The whole area we hunt is about half the size of a football field(I wish it was bigger....). We should meet in the middle sometime and get out for a hunt.

Regards,
Jon Dickinson.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread