Barber Quarter

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
Hi all,

Yah, I've been away forever but finally managed a hunt with my buddy this Saturday. We hunted an 1804 house for a few hours. I managed this nice 1894 O Barber quarter right in the front yard. I was using my SEF 6x9 coil. That coil is a great coil for working trashy areas. This coin was in the middle of null and iron. I picked a small blip that sounded off like silver and it stayed in the same spot every time I moved in and about the iron. Usually if this was a false iron sound it would move and never be in the same spot. It was down 6" and after I retrieved it I scanned the hole again and nothing but iron so this coil worked wonders in this spot for me.
Ed-

Attachments

• DSC07221.JPG
    DSC07221.JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 638
  • DSC07222.JPG
    DSC07222.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 640
Upvote 0

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
Colonial Copper Zeus said:
jdsarasin8194 said:
shouldnt the "o" mint mark be in between the R and the D?
I was just thinking the same thing.
I too was thinking the same thing so I looked it up in my red book an JD is correct...I would say your mint mark is off center.. I would send these pictures to a coin professional an see what they have to say about the coin..I'm fairly sure it will command a higher price then what ever book value would be.... you could send these pictures to heritage auction www.ha.com for a free appraisal..I'm not sure if stacks does free apprasials or not.. I think they might tho..

added to my post... After looking at the photo again..I am wondering if the whole back isn't offcenter an maybe the mint mark is in the correct postion? When you hold the coin front an flip it over to the back is the coin straight up or is it turned like what we are seeing in the 2nd photo??

ggossage

May 18, 2009
Eastern Nebraska
I found this from a collector online; it's unsubstantiated and gives no indication of rarity, but the reasoning the writer uses is very plausible:

The placement of the mintmark on Barber quarters is a topic of interest. In 1892, the branch mints tried to align the mintmark with the eagle's central tail feather. This placed the mintmark directly over the final "R" in QUARTER. However, there isn't a lot of room between the "R" and the tail feather - the punch has to be just right. Evidently in search of the maximum possible field space to place the mintmark, the diemakers began to try to space over the "D" in DOLLAR instead. But that looked odd because it was way off-center. Eventually, they all settled on the area above the gap between the "R" and the "D" (i.e. between the words QUARTER and DOLLAR).

jdsarasin8194

Bronze Member
Dec 27, 2009
MA
ggossage said:
I found this from a collector online; it's unsubstantiated and gives no indication of rarity, but the reasoning the writer uses is very plausible:

The placement of the mintmark on Barber quarters is a topic of interest. In 1892, the branch mints tried to align the mintmark with the eagle's central tail feather. This placed the mintmark directly over the final "R" in QUARTER. However, there isn't a lot of room between the "R" and the tail feather - the punch has to be just right. Evidently in search of the maximum possible field space to place the mintmark, the diemakers began to try to space over the "D" in DOLLAR instead. But that looked odd because it was way off-center. Eventually, they all settled on the area above the gap between the "R" and the "D" (i.e. between the words QUARTER and DOLLAR).
but its over the D, omg i pointed something good out ;D im proud of myself :laughing7:

Bubba65

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Hi nice Barber quarter. I found a 1894S Barber quarter last year that I posted in the forum. I went back and looked at it and the mint mark on my quarter is also over the D in dollar,so are these rare? I don't know. included a pic for all to see. Again congrats on the great Barber quarter.

Bubba65

Attachments

• 121.JPG
    121.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 518

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd be researching this one for sure. This has to be a variation. Nice Find.........(For Bubba Too!) Hogge :headbang:

OP
OP
Ed-NH

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
I thank you all for your replies. I never gave a thought to the position of the mint mark but apparently they moved around a bit after reading ggossage research on the subject which I thank you for that information. I am trying to find a bit more info on the subject of mint marks now that we have two Barbers here with the off center mint mark. Perhaps they struck them only for a few years in that position. The info is interesting and makes this a more unique piece for my display case. This one sits just to the left of the Standing Liberty quarter in my case ;D

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
Ed-NH said:
I thank you all for your replies. I never gave a thought to the position of the mint mark but apparently they moved around a bit after reading ggossage research on the subject which I thank you for that information. I am trying to find a bit more info on the subject of mint marks now that we have two Barbers here with the off center mint mark. Perhaps they struck them only for a few years in that position. The info is interesting and makes this a more unique piece for my display case. This one sits just to the left of the Standing Liberty quarter in my case ;D
You didn't answer my question, Did you twist the coin when you took the reverse side photo or is the die rotated?

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let me go and check my Barber quarters. I am interested now to see if any of mine are straight under the tail or off center. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Ed-NH

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
creeper71 said:
Ed-NH said:
You didn't answer my question, Did you twist the coin when you took the reverse side photo or is the die rotated?

Good point, I will check it out and let you know as I never checked that.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
creeper71 said:
Ed-NH said:
Had the coin been twisted, as you suggest, the whole reverse would have looked fuzzy and twisted. Thus the mm is likely rotated, or at least rotated compared to a typical Barber quarter.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread