Bark's "Yaqui"

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
I had one of those rare moments of luck awhile back while reading through old newspapers. I had run across an old article describing events in a LDM search. Not much to it, but it happened to be fresh in my mind when a few days later I was glancing through the Bark notes trying to find where I had seen something else.

What I saw in the Bark notes was towards the end and related the somewhat cryptic story of a Yaqui and a shooting. I believe the newspaper article I had seen earlier was what Bark was talking about and served to fill in some blanks that Bark was unwilling to relate.

PDF with Bark's Yaqui story, the newspaper article, and supporting docs attached. Anyone else look into this?

Attachments

• Bark Yaqui Story.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 59
OP
OP
PotBelly Jim

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi Deducer, glad to see you too...not able to dig into much history these days due to garage construction, but that is wrapping up now...so hoping to get back into some neglected subjects ;)

I'd done a little digging into Bark's stories before and this seems to fit with previous impressions...that Bark is generally reliable to repeat stories as he heard them or as they happened to him, but sometimes he isn't able to recall the dates or names exactly.

I had to wonder if Ted Cox knew of these people. If Jesus Sanchez (the "Yaqui" guide) makes an appearance in anything Cox wrote down. I couldn't put my finger on the guy. But these folks being in Superior around that timeframe, I'm pretty sure Cox would've heard of them, if not knew them in some way through family/friend connections. I noticed that "Hope Duffy" was actually Esperanza Duffey. Her first name was anglicized in the marriage records for some reason.

It seems to me like Bark knew the area Sanchez intended to take the party to...like it lined up with where Bark himself thought the mine was.

If anyone runs across this Sanchez fella I'd appreciate hearing about it. Seems like I should know who this guy is but can't remember why or how/when I ran across it.

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi Deducer, glad to see you too...not able to dig into much history these days due to garage construction, but that is wrapping up now...so hoping to get back into some neglected subjects ;)

I'd done a little digging into Bark's stories before and this seems to fit with previous impressions...that Bark is generally reliable to repeat stories as he heard them or as they happened to him, but sometimes he isn't able to recall the dates or names exactly.

I had to wonder if Ted Cox knew of these people. If Jesus Sanchez (the "Yaqui" guide) makes an appearance in anything Cox wrote down. I couldn't put my finger on the guy. But these folks being in Superior around that timeframe, I'm pretty sure Cox would've heard of them, if not knew them in some way through family/friend connections. I noticed that "Hope Duffy" was actually Esperanza Duffey. Her first name was anglicized in the marriage records for some reason.

It seems to me like Bark knew the area Sanchez intended to take the party to...like it lined up with where Bark himself thought the mine was.

If anyone runs across this Sanchez fella I'd appreciate hearing about it. Seems like I should know who this guy is but can't remember why or how/when I ran across it.

Ted Cox wasn't the kind of DH who sought attention or shared much, unfortunately. Much of his stuff, diary, notes, information, etc., is either with his family or with Ron. Are you able to talk to Ron? He would know more.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread