Barley Stubble Field - 90% Complete - Now we are cooking.....

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
....on gas. (Brit expression, I think):thumbsup:

We carried on gridding the Roman Site today & yesterday. I did 8.5 hours & Dad did 6 hours & the weather was a little cooler (thankfully). We only have about 10% of the area left to do & then we can move on to the next site.
A better result these last two days with a good amount of coins found.

51 Roman Bronze Coins
Roman Silver Siliqua Honorus? (Clipped)
1931 Sixpence
18th C Silver Clog Clasp (must be our year for these)
Crotal Bell
Broken Roman Brooch
Roman Box Stud
Bits...

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    187.9 KB · Views: 89
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    194.4 KB · Views: 104
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    210.4 KB · Views: 101
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    157.2 KB · Views: 96
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    182.4 KB · Views: 98
  • 10.JPG
    10.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 111
  • 9.JPG
    9.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 128
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    244.8 KB · Views: 119
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    215 KB · Views: 113
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    139.2 KB · Views: 106
Upvote 15

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
wow is correct! you guys are busy, busy over there, love your posts

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on another outstanding hunt Cru. That's a huge pile of coins, and that silver is gorgeous. Must be nice to be able to get into the fields this time of year. We still have at least a couple more months to wait before the first of the crops start coming out.

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent finds my good man, I always love perusing your posts. The "Now we're cookin'" expression is very common this side of the pond, but as with the language itself it may well be an import!

I was wondering how many sestertii you've found in your detecting adventures, and also if you've come across any noteworthy rare bronzes among the many roman "scrappies" (apologies if I'm misusing your word here, heh) you and your father have dug?

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome Siliqua and great score on the bronzes! The complete crotal bell is a nice plus! :occasion14:

S

stefen

Don't ya just love junky sites...

Is it too late for me to catch a flight over the pond?

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent finds my good man, I always love perusing your posts. The "Now we're cookin'" expression is very common this side of the pond, but as with the language itself it may well be an import!

I was wondering how many sestertii you've found in your detecting adventures, and also if you've come across any noteworthy rare bronzes among the many roman "scrappies" (apologies if I'm misusing your word here, heh) you and your father have dug?

I got 1 large Ses. last week, I guess we get about 5-8 a year. (most of them are pretty scrappy)

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/389950-extremely-rare-roman-coin.html
Not sure if you remember the above, but its our rarist roman coin, only 2 known & ours is the only one in Britain & the only one provenanced. The British Museum wanted to buy it, but I'm holding on to it for now.

Last edited:

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got 1 large Ses. last week, I guess we get about 5-8 a year.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/389950-extremely-rare-roman-coin.html
Not sure if you remember the above, but its our rarist roman coin, only 2 known & ours is the only one in Britain & the only one provenanced. The British Museum wanted to buy it, but I'm holding on to it for now.
Very cool finds, how does that work again, how is it you can hold on to that coin? I thought you had to split with the landowner, Vino wants to fly over for a week hunt, we pay they put us in a field where there (suppose) is stuff to find? Sounds like a deer hunt I paid for and in four days I only seen two deer!

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool finds, how does that work again, how is it you can hold on to that coin? I thought you had to split with the landowner, Vino wants to fly over for a week hunt, we pay they put us in a field where there (suppose) is stuff to find? Sounds like a deer hunt I paid for and in four days I only seen two deer!

Maybe your thinking of declareable Treasure, this coin we voluntarily recorded. The landowner knows about it & we will give them half the Museum quote if they want it. (Its rare that any Museum offer any money, unless its Treasure, which like I say, this is not) Some take the money, many don't. Most of them are happy with what I give them from the finds.

Just to clear this up, in UK Law the land owner owns nearly everything except where a verbal or written agreement is made. You can keep 100% of the finds if you have a prior agreement that this will happen. In those situations, your best getting a contract. Our agreement is quite complex in areas because we like first refusual on any finds. Treasure is always 50/50, but 99% of our finds are basically slit 75% to me & 25% to the farmers.
Plus the agreements all vary from owner to owner, the most important thing is to keep them happy. So those that don't like history & all the data & maps we produce just get money.

Last edited:

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats to you and your Father on the finds from Saturday Cru! :occasion14:

I just love finding crotal bells, this one almost looks to be Medieval in date ... love the amount of detail on this Roman coin too!

Dave

Attachments

• 6-crop.JPG
    6-crop.JPG
    17.1 KB · Views: 197
  • 9-crop.JPG
    9-crop.JPG
    21.5 KB · Views: 200

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cooking "with" gas (here)

I'd say you were, 50+ coppers, and a beautiful "crisp" silver...nice.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats to you and your Father on the finds from Saturday Cru! :occasion14:

I just love finding crotal bells, this one almost looks to be Medieval in date ... love the amount of detail on this Roman coin too!

Dave

The bell still has its iron pea & rings pretty good. It's always nice to get a whole one! I think its just post-medieval, circa 17th C.

Shame the Roman Coin (Constantine I) is a common type because it's about as good as they come from ploughed land. Still a nice one to give to the landowner.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great coin total. Always been a dream of mine to recover a Roman bronze, and you dig them up by the dozens. Well done, and a BEAUTIFUL silver there too.

Cheers,

Buck

thommo59

Mar 6, 2014
Australia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Garrett AT PRO
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, thats a lot of stuff