Jasper, Ontario
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ATGOLD
Garrett pro pointer
Fiskars digger
Primary Interest:
Other
Not sure if there has ever been any mention of this on the site. I enclosed a story link about the rumored so to speak facts, I've searched many a place in this area and have always come up empty handed on these silver halves. With the Rideau being a now "UNESCO" world heritage site it is within the Federal confines and is strictly prohibited to metal detect any where on or near these properities. So who knows if anything has ever been found.

Rideau Canal - Tales of the Rideau: The Lost Barrel of Silver

Cheers and enjoy the read.
Jon

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Although off limits I would be interested to know the weight of one barrel full. It would
help in deciding the legitimacy of the stories. It seems impossible that a single canoeer
could unload a barrel without turning it on its side, in the Collins episode. The rest seems
logical.

OP
OP
M_d_in_guy

M_d_in_guy

Jan 12, 2015
Jasper, Ontario
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ATGOLD
Garrett pro pointer
Fiskars digger
Primary Interest:
Other
apparently they were small whiskey kegs, two man carry size, or one man with it cradeled to his stomach and arms in wrap around it.

OP
OP
M_d_in_guy

M_d_in_guy

Jan 12, 2015
Jasper, Ontario
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ATGOLD
Garrett pro pointer
Fiskars digger
Primary Interest:
Other
Although off limits I would be interested to know the weight of one barrel full. It would
help in deciding the legitimacy of the stories. It seems impossible that a single canoeer
could unload a barrel without turning it on its side, in the Collins episode. The rest seems
logical.

during the paymaster delivery route they used freighters, as depicted in the pictures in the link, so on board would be the paddlers or voyageurs the paymaster and a couple of armed military personel. With that kind of manpower on board I believe it would be an easy task to throw it over the side, if indeed that happened.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread