BASEBALL Memorabilia - Monte Irvin, John Holway, Roy Campanella, Josh Gibson

mjm579

Jan 6, 2013
Montgomery County, PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So this isn't my normal area of expertise, but for $4 tripled matted and framed, what did I honestly have to lose? Now to the value and best way to sell...
Any help would be greatly appreciated?
I've found details about all of the players mentioned, and the letter seems legit (folds present and even a small stain from where a paperclip had rusted). ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1426374823.130441.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1426374832.879623.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1426374843.347242.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1426374853.495563.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1426374861.412943.jpg

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
Since you have looked up the names, you already know that Monte Irvin was a great baseball player, one of the few to cross over from the Negro Leagues to the Major Leagues and was later elected to the Hall of Fame. So, his signature is the most valuable thing about this. I agree this letter looks legit but then my opinion doesn't mean a thing. I'm sure the letter has value "as is" but any guess I would make would be pure speculation. I'm quite sure, however, that the value of this letter would be significantly enhanced by having the signature authenticated by an organization with a solid reputation. Getting that done will cost you a little money but I'm guessing it will be worth it. I also think the fact that this letter is on the Commissioner's letterhead and the reference to another Hall of Famer, Roy Campanella, should also help the value. Great find!

Last edited:

spyguy

Jan 30, 2006
As mentioned above getting this letter authenticated is the first key in establishing its value. The place to go online is called James Spence Authenticators. I believe they would charge you around $100. If you go on Ebay or a place like RobertEdwardAuctions.com to see what a signed letter by a baseball hall of famer like Monte Irvin is worth you'll see that it could be well worth the extra investment. Without having the LOA (letter of authenticity) which is like the "seal of approval" that this is legit however its value is substantially reduced to a potential buyer. If it is in fact judged to be authentic you did very well for yourself.... Good Luck.
HH
-spyguy

OP
OP
mjm579

mjm579

Jan 6, 2013
Montgomery County, PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for the help. I'll have to wait for my income tax return then it looks like a small $100 investment is in order.

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
I would disagree. The $100 investment is not well spent. I believe that MOST real collectors would recognize this for what it is. An interesting letter from a great baseball player. Most would recognize that as such it is worth the price of the signature and then a bit (with or without authentication). I would contact some of the major sports auction houses to see about placing this in a major baseball auction. Heritage auctions would be my starting place.They will tell you if it should be authenticated... If you can get this off of ebay and on to a major auction, you are looking at higher fees and a much higher price.

I would certainly try to find the article about Josh Gibson referred to in the letter. Once you find the article, you should try to buy a copy of the publication where it was printed.

On the grim side, Monte Irwin is alive and kicking at 96... It may be worth holding on to for a few years...

bdsawyer

Feb 25, 2014
North Dakota
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I would not try to contact heritage, their minimum for consignment is $5000. I would try a smaller auction place such as Huggins and Scott, contact them to see what they think. ie whether to grade, auction estimate, etc.

OldSowBreath

Mar 18, 2009
I think today a lot of "authenticators" are just researching the Internet, same as you and I can do.

OldSowBreath

Mar 18, 2009
BTW, though my opinion is not worth much, I have in my profession examined many questioned documents. I vote real.

OP
OP
mjm579

mjm579

Jan 6, 2013
Montgomery County, PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My husband said that since it's baseball stuff "well, even though it's baseball memorabilia, you didn't hit a home run, but at least you made it to first base!!" God I love him.

OP
OP
mjm579

mjm579

Jan 6, 2013
Montgomery County, PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would not try to contact heritage, their minimum for consignment is $5000. I would try a smaller auction place such as Huggins and Scott, contact them to see what they think. ie whether to grade, auction estimate, etc.

Thank you for the reply. I just sent them an email. I'll let you know what I hear back.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread