Basement of abandoned house

hat_man

Sep 13, 2006
Sterling Illinois
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Hello again. I'm not trying to post a bunch of questions, but I only get the computer a short time as school has started and the kids need it more than I do. One of the properties I have permission to hunt on has an old abandoned house ( one story) and a root cellar basement. It seems to be a dirt or gravel floor down there. I just walked the yard after getting permission and found the outside entrance to the basement. Does anyone have any advice on basements? It is open to the "wildlife" in the area (no dangerous snakes here in Illinois, but plenty of raccoons and other critters) and I have seen small "trails" leading away from the house and into the nearby corn field. Any advice on that angle would be appreciated. Also if all seems clear of critters, any advice on what or where to check down there. I haven't been inside yet so I can't tell you what is there, but anything to look for would be great. Thanks a bunch.

Hat_man

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ledges up high where things can be Secreted.

IF it has stone Walls. Loose ones that can be pulled out.

Large Pieces of Flat Metal on the Floor that could hide a Hole.

Rowdy

Jun 11, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6
I'd be VERY suprised if there aren't poisonous snakes in your area. Having said that, snakes generally want even less to do with you, than vice versa! Also a very good chance that there are spiders in there you don't want to mess with!

Best advice I can give, is proceed slowly, look around VERY well before you move into a different area, and don't reach in anywhere that you can't see! That last part is the most important!

As for rodents small and large, just don't pick them up, or block their exit and you'll be fine.

There have been several occasions where I went into low cellars or sheds, turned around, and was face to face with a black snake in the rafters! :o They're harmless, except for a greatly increased for dropping dead of a heart attack! ::)

UnEarthed72

Jun 29, 2007
THE EMPIRE STATE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,Whites prism2
First obtain a few flash bang grenades...lol

I say just light it up really good with some good light(one of those cyclops deals),so you can at least see what your dealing with,and make sure your able to get out of is easily after you get in.

muleskinner

Aug 8, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
minelab, tesoro
Snakes like warm spots not cool shaded spots. Make some noise and head in. Spiders do what they do where ever you go. The worst ones seem to like spots that are hot. A cellar doesn't seem like a likely spot for those. Give the cellar a good scan and focus on other entrances.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
as far as bugs go bug bomb it a day ahead of time --cuts down on the nasty spiders and such -- and should drive out any other unwanted guest too -- watch for weak flor board type cave ins-- Ivan

OP
OP
H

hat_man

Sep 13, 2006
Sterling Illinois
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Thanks for all the advice. I like the bug bomb idea. I would have to wait for it to finish so no one would think the place was on fire. If the grass was shorter then I could hunt the outside while I waited for the inside. I found the clothes line pole holes there and this is my first place to look. I love T Net because a Nu-B like me doesn't feel dumb asking questions of all you seasoned vets. Now if I cold only get one of you to dig all my holes I'd be set. (lmao) Thanks again for the help.

Hat_man

re-tek

Jul 15, 2007
miami fl
Detector(s) used
coinstrike, tigershark, ace250, OLD radioshack
instead of flash bomb why not heave a couple of roach bombs in there and come back the next day? any critters will run out and the spiders will cease to be a threat.

UnEarthed72

Jun 29, 2007
THE EMPIRE STATE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,Whites prism2
re-tek said:
instead of flash bomb why not heave a couple of roach bombs in there and come back the next day? any critters will run out and the spiders will cease to be a threat.

I agree some of those bug bombs for heavy infestations are so concentrated they will choke out a horse,most of them say set off and wait four hours..no bugs and any bigger critters surely will move out of that area.

kindafoundabuckle

Dec 9, 2006
In bed at the moment
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the house has one of those old time coal burning furnaces in the basement pull the duct work out one at a time and then hold them upright and give it a good shake towards the floor. You will be amazed what will come out. I did that in a few old houses that was scheduled to be torn down and in one of the ducts came out a fatty gold ring! The vents upstairs were usually in the floor and not in the walls like they are today so if someone dropped something such as a coin, ring, potato chip, and if it rolled into the vent it is still in the duct work. Do where a dust mask because there is a ton of dirt and if its old enough it may have asbestos on the outside for insulation. I know a few more tricks of finding spots in old houses that could have coins and if your interested send me a pm and I will pass what I know along to you. I would do it now but must head to work. Good luck and remember those snakes are more scared of you than you are of them.

Tom

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ivan salis said:
as far as bugs go bug bomb it a day ahead of time --cuts down on the nasty spiders and such -- and should drive out any other unwanted guest too -- watch for weak flor board type cave ins-- Ivan

IF Bugs ect. Bother you,
I would Agree With Ivan,
as this is what I would have said.
a Good Bug Bombing should also
send rodents out for air also.
Just make sure it's aired out good
Before you enter.
I don't fear bugs, rodents, or breathing Anything.
But most Warn against Breathing Insectacides.

hat_man said:
I love T Net because a Nu-B like me doesn't feel dumb asking questions of all you seasoned vets.
Hat_man

Hat_man

This is the Whole Idea of a Forum.

The only Dumb thing you could do is Not Ask.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread