txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
someone else will jump in here with more knowledge then myself, but yes there are detectors that are designed for nugget shooting. All detectors should pick up gold coins, rings and such. I hear a lot of I almost did not dig it because it sounded like trash. Well gold is right in that trashy pull tab range, so if you are looking for gold at parks and such be prepared to dig all the trash.
Nugget hunting is something I know nothing about but I am sure one of these good folks will jump on in.

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
Vlf gold detectors operate at a higher frequency than normal coin/relic detectors. The Gold Bug operates at 71kHz. The reason is that these high frequencies are more sensitive for very tiny gold nuggets which unfortunately is the norm.

PIs which are used by serious nugget hunters are deeper than VLFs and can handle bad ground better which is typical in the gold fields.

George

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The reason is that these high frequencies are more sensitive for very tiny gold nuggets which unfortunately is the norm.

George is right. While all detectors can report on most gold, only certain gold detectors and PI's can respond to the tiny pieces. To use these same detectors in a park or at the beach would drive most hunters crazy with all the tiny pieces of metal they find. To me bird shot has no value outside of a shotshell.

gametalman52

Jul 27, 2007
Northeast Georgia
Detector(s) used
DFX,XLT, Goldbug
Own the DFX and the Goldbug. Goldbug will pick up gold nugget the size of a BB. DFX can't touch that. The Goldbug does not give you any idea what the target might be when it hits a non ferrous metal such as pull tabs which will eventually drive you nuts in a park. I live in north Georgia and it does great with all the mineralization here. Use it mostly in the woods and creeks and fields. Use the DFX for relics and coins and have used it on Florida beaches. It all boils down to the Mhz of the machine. Didn't fully understand all of this myself until I got gold fever!!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just my opinion, but for me I look at detectors like golf clubs, you can hit a ball with any of them, but it takes a specific one to do the best job possible for the circumstances and conditions you are under at that specific moment.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread