Basic signs and symbols you have found

hetty

May 24, 2007
Re: Basic Spanish signs and symbols you have found

The left hand side of the staircase has an ancient hand carved rock which is a curved banana shape. I call these a beckoning marker. Picture a Spanish don arriving at a doorway at the same time as a female. He stops , bows and flourishing his plumed hat beckons her through first. A beckoning marker is a semi circle marker which is purely an arrow or pointer. It can be a handspan in width and constructed of a different coloured soil or a shaped rock such as shown which would weigh about a ton.

The curved handshaped rock on the left hand side of the staircase is partly obscured by the overhead bush has an important point that could be overlooked . From the left hand side of the right hand petroglyph to the extreme left hand edge of the left hand beckoning rock measures exactly three and a quarter paces, meaning that all pacing for all the left hand side caches commence from this point. The first tunnel is exactly just past the left hand side of the beckoning sign.

I have inserted that petroglyph in again as we are not finished with it. On top of this rock is the figure "E" or 3 or it can be taken as a beckoning sign as it is pointing up to the left in an all encompasing manner including upwards and forwards.
Besides the water level inward tunnels along the beach there is a blown up cave higher up which was created long ago at sea level and the shifting of tectonic plates pushed the cave upwards to the top of the level of the top of the staircase. And for thousands of years the caves entrance was staring out to sea sadly untill the Jesuits arrived, filled it with treasure then blew it up, then cemented up the entrance so no one would ever have an inkling that a cave had ever existed here. The only clue which is worth remembering for active t/ hunters is the angle of the "figure 3 or E " ( or a broken heart meaning gold here but beware of booby traps) figure which is pointing at everything to the left including upwards. If the cave had been at sea level the top inscription would have been lower.
I will not be removing any more underground indicators of which there are some left . There are several more caches or more to the right of this petroglyph and all will be double caches, and all are three and a quarter paces apart. At the cliff top to the right are specially planted trees three and a quarter paces apart, and the most remarkable nature of these trees is that they come from Western Australia which is over 2 thousand miles away, which apparrantly does not raise eyebrows or curiousity.They have grafted intructions attatched which I find interesting. The important feature of all markers to remember is that they are NEVER of local origin. Max

Attachments

• heart cropped.jpg
    heart cropped.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 13,993
  • PA120020.JPG
    PA120020.JPG
    20.7 KB · Views: 14,070
  • heart cropped.jpg
    heart cropped.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 13,906
OP
OP
Old Dog

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado

Hetty, It looks as if in your location you had a couple of SJs who would take a royal sign and make it mean exactly opposite it's intended meaning.
The SJ didn't play by the rules , that's for sure.
No wonder the King of Spain developed a bad attitude towards them.

Thom

OP
OP
Old Dog

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado

to make a marker the Spanish would often use a natural thing and simply place it where it would be seen or noticed.
example a bright white rock in a field of red ones.
Or as this picture shows...
A dark brown one on a field of almost white...

Attachments

• eye catcher.jpg
    eye catcher.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 11,810

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250

Very pretty area and the dark rock does stand out but only because of this thread...would have never noticed it before. :-[

OP
OP
Old Dog

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado

The Spanish would also use clutter to confuse the untrained eye and in the midst of the clutter leave one clue as a direction to follow.
But looking past all the clutter,
In this case a heart pointing a clear trail.

Attachments

• heart on top.jpg
    heart on top.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 12,066
OP
OP
Old Dog

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado

Cyndi,
These things are what I call eye catchers.
They basically amount to a natural object in an unnatural place or position.
They are only meant to draw your attention to something else.
This photo is another good example.
Note the brighter white colored stone in the hole on the other side of the canyon.

Attachments

• eyecatcher 2.jpg
    eyecatcher 2.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 11,633

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250

that one caught my eye right away. yay! getting better at this lol

OP
OP
Old Dog

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado

Cyndi,
Now that you have the basic Idea go back and look at that turtle picture and see how absolutely quick that little stone in the heart jumps out and says "here I am!"

You might just be a little surprised.

Thom

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250

Oh for cryin out loud....you are right...it is far more obvious now! Hurry up and get over there and peek inside already!! :blob5:

OP
OP
Old Dog

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado

You are getting the eye catcher idea .....
That's a good beginning.

I hope you get the chance to use what you learn.

Thom

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250

Boy, wouldn't THAT be something...of course I wanna be far more versed in recognizing diabolical DTs before I start poking around too much of those. lol

OP
OP
Old Dog

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado

Some times the trail marker is an old stump.
These are left after the Spanish cleared the trail for mule traffic.
Surprisingly enough the trails are still clear with little or no growth in them even today.
these trails can be seen from thousands of feet up with Google earth, and are even more evident on the ground.
This stump points out a two way trail as indicated by the two branches pointing, one each way.
Watch for small stones that may be stuck in a permanent way in a crack or crevice in the stump.
it could mean the difference between turn here and find a fortune or go straight on to Santa Fe....

Attachments

• stump 1.jpg
    stump 1.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 11,618

bluestem

Jun 11, 2007

I have 2 questions about trail markers in non-mountainous areas.

1. How far away did they travel from the trail marker? It had to be close enough for them to see it, right?

2. Did they have a tendency to follow water, ridges, tree lines, or anything in particular?

This about the rock I have that I decided was trail marker. It faces and is on the edge of a very rocky area. No one would choose it for a trail when there are smoother areas all around. That doesn't make sense. It does look like it may have been a creek at one time, long ago.

A neighbor has an "old grave" at the back of their property which could be another marker. I don't know them very well, this isn't a very chatty neighborhood. When I tried to find out more about the old grave, they got kinda crabby about it and clammed up. In years of researching the local history, I've found no one who would have been buried in either grave. Which doesn't mean they aren't graves, of course. But why would that beautiful heart have been on a grave?

We have plenty of old stumps like that, Thom. Is there anything unusual about the ones the Spanish left that I could look for?

I can't let this go. Does anyone have any books to suggest? I just ordered some through the library. I plan to look at more when I'm through with these.

OP
OP
Old Dog

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado

Hi Sue,

Most markers are usually no more than 30 or 40 feet apart.
If an area to be traveled is open and clear the markers will be large and high enough to be seen as far as 8 miles away, but generally speaking they would put them on the prominent hilltops each marker can be seen from the last and vice verse.

The cool thing about the stumps on cleared mule trails...
ALL were cut with an axe. most will have a single branch left attached or a leaner to show the direction of travel.
they will have done every attempt to kill said tree. rarely are they still growing.
The stumps that I have found are from 4 feet tall to 18 inches.

Thom

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks

I have been reading and re-reading this post ,trying to absorb all the information. I have been an avid sign watcher/finder for sometime now and find all of this absolutely fascinating. This is a great thread and the knowledge that has been brought to it is unsurpassed. I really want to thank all of you who contributed to it and hope that you will continue. I need to go back and re-examine a few places that I know had Spanish activity....but out of lack of knowledge at the time ,I didnt realize what I had found. Pack up the camper Steve...we have some work to do.... :)
Thanks to all and please keep this going....

OP
OP
Old Dog

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado

Christy,

Hope some of this helped you,
or gave you something to go back and look for.

Thom

OP
OP
Old Dog

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado

Tom,
It's not just me,
It is every person who posts here.
we all get help some where, and you just helped Ed and I.
The extra light sure put a different candor on things

Thanks Buddy
Thom

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks

Old Dog said:
Christy,

Hope some of this helped you,
or gave you something to go back and look for.

Thom

As much as I dont want to admit this ...I will ....I was one of those dorks who took home a heart shaped rock....because it was so perfect.....but...I know exactly where I found it ....it was on top of two stacked rocks...I remember thinking....how in the world did a heart get there....LOL...big dork....but I was fifteen so please forgive me....I know there are treasure hunters now circling those stacked stones saying" well hell all the signs are here,but there should be a heart rock" ::)......So over the years I have now learned a little more....will return that rock some day and look for more signs.....

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250

If you find more signs you are obligated to share pics pretty lady! lol I can imagine doing the same thing had I found a heart shaped rock when I was 15. Glad you remember where it came from and plan to check the area. Would be very cool if you found more signs! :thumbsup:

hetty

May 24, 2007

in regards to the Jesuits leaving their buried loot near trails, on my coastal area of eastern Victoria Ausralia all the old trails around here are aboriginal. The Jesuits didnt bother making new trails, they just buried their caches within a pace or two on the side of existing paths.
We have a long living tree called a Moonah and the oldest samples are reputably thousands of years old. In an earlier posting on this thread I showed several "markers" of hundreds of years old moonah roots. Thinking of one particular path , the marker for the top end of a run of caches along this winding track leading down to the beach is a black rock buried with just its top barely showing. It means "stop" .
Walking down this path and pacing out 3 and a quarter paces you will come to your first Jesuit marker amid the brush on the side of the path on your right. THey never used their left side in markers. THey planted small Moonah seedlings over the caches and bent the growing saplings towards the path in a hoop like fashion. THis method of marking is Pacific wide where possible. Or else just a small handle full of soft pebbles over each site , which make a crunching sound when probed for with a thin steel probe bar. Circling around this marker over 360 degrees at a distance of three and a quarter paces will give you an insight as to other caches as there will be a minium of three.

I will find and insert a typical marker. the right hand end of the branch has a a cache at a depth of three and a quarter paces.( I have severat thousand pics stored on Picasa.
It has cement blocking a diggers path at a depth of 30 inches. Cement in a beach sand dune area? THis is a standard clever marker through out the influence of Jesuit burials.
If you look at the left hand end of the branch you will notice that it is forked. All jesuit pointers are the opposite to an arrow. Being the free end i dug down a little at the right hand end where I had dowsed treasure buried deep below. I forgot about my deep signal when I discovered a trail of local sea shells called pippies extending from right to left. The sea shells were mimicking a tunnel and built up in crescendo as I approached the left hand end of the branch.

Suddenly I was looking down at a minature copy of a cave entrance filled with black top soil , being black which meant dont go any further, about a foot wide and had a piece of sea shell cemented on the right hand side pointing to the left.
THat sea shell pointing to the left also was a message. The never went to the left so it had to be a hoax.The clever devils spent half their time miming false instructions . It was exactly three and a quarter paces to the inch from the minature cave entrance back towards the other end of the hooped branch where I got the gold here dowsing signal.
That vee on the left hand end of the branch also can mean dig at the usual distance in that direction. I couldnt dig much there as the silver box with pearls was buried at a depth of 10 feet under the edge of roadside bitumen.

I noticed a posting on another thread where a digger investigating a pertroglyph discovered a layer of black cinders at about a foot in depth. It means " not here" and can also mean " to my right"
Will give others a go on this thread as I learn also off others . Regards MAX

Attachments

• mock tunnel.JPG
    mock tunnel.JPG
    26.1 KB · Views: 13,518

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread