Basic Signs of Where Gold is Found

Millz90

Sep 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im just wondering if anyone could fill me in on what a good place to search for gold is, within a creek. Like the type of rocks that are found, black sand...things like that.

I know that gold is heavy and where to look in the creek but im not sure what to look for while in the creek to determine if there would be gold there at all? I thought I read some where that if you find granite that is a good sign, is that true?

I overlaid a gold mine map over google map and located mines relatively close to where im looking but have come up empty handed multiple times. I can tell where eddies would be because there is a TON of little pebbles in this one area, is this a good sign? I tried to dig down thru the little pebbles but it never ended! Should I be digging down far to find the gold?

ANY help would be appreciated! I need to find some gold!

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will be helped out a lot by the gold prospecting forum here at treasurenet - just scroll down the forum page till you see it .
also you might consider joining the Gold Prospector's Association of America (G.P.A.A.) as a member you can access maps ,
and claims all over the U.S. I would strongly advise you to do some internet research on your particular area with regard to
"placer" gold prospecting , and in general how to prospect for placer gold , sluicing , dredging, and also using metal detectors
to locate gold nuggets. Most likely you will find gold in areas where historically it has been found . Good luck ! Happy hunting.

( you won't necessarily have to dig deep to locate promising placers , you will need a gold pan to test numerous locations for the
richness of the concentrates - or lack thereof - these "test pans" will lead you to the areas where the concentrates are
worth your time and effort to bring in the necessary equipment to make a real go of it . )

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Millz90

Sep 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yeah that's what I have been doing is going from place to place in the creek and doing test pans but no luck any where around.....I guess that means theres no gold their?

How much does it cost to sign up at GPAA? What do you get out of the group other then maps?

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I suggest you contact the GPAA yourself and ask them just exactly what they offer (I'm not a member -yet ) Also slow down a bit ,
before going sporadically "from place to place in the creek" Let research save you a lot of legwork and back work. You need to find
areas where gold historically has been found - talk to people. You would be well advised to spend some time on the gold forums here
asking questions , learning about specific techniques , and learning about tools and equipment . This is a marathon not a sprint .

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As mentioned you should spend time in the prospecting forums. Where do you live?

OP
OP
M

Millz90

Sep 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As mentioned you should spend time in the prospecting forums. Where do you live?

Im in High Point North Carolina.

I have done a LOT of research around where gold was previously found which is why i am in this particular creek. There are mulitple mines, old closed mines, close to this area. Im just trying to figure out what type of rocks are normally around when gold is around as well. THings like that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions