Basic Tools needed for a beginning Metaldetectorist

bpd138

Tenderfoot
Jan 4, 2011
Hello again,
As I eagerly await the arrival of my new Minelad X-Terra 505 I am trying to decide what basic "tools" I will need for general metal detecting. I'm looking for advice on things like shovels, spades, gloves etc. I want to put together a basic kit to take with me that I can add to it as I become more experienced.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Once again, thanks for any information.
Willie

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just the basics is all you need. Any type of finds pouch, gloves, maybe a shovel depending, and a digger that will not bend or break. The most common mistake made is people wasting their time using flimsy garden trowels.... much better to get something decent. Here's one that's tough as heck and under $20.

Saber tooth.

Attachments

• 1111Picture_3_212.jpg
    1111Picture_3_212.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 340

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the addiction and to Treasurenet. Just remember to cover all your holes, try to make it look like you were never there when you finish......

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
I bought a pinpointer. My recoveries took LOTS less time!!! Also a good set of knee pads unless you are strictly beach hunting.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hay......I'm a flimsy garden trowel user..so......BACK..OFF....

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
You might get some long tweezers to pick up pull tabs. Oh, don't worry
about scratching your coins. They are only worth face value if you can even
read em.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
== besides the detector of course ---- a good strong digging tool -- a pin pointer --finds pouch / apron --- short mini half sized shovel -(for bigger deeper targets in areas where its use would be ok)-- bug spray for warm weather use in buggy areas --and a small car type medical kit (for cuts and scrapes and such)

midnightmoon

Mar 8, 2008
Los Angeles, California
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Welcome bpd138!

Can I add a >bucket< to your list?

I keep all my recovery equipment in a 5 gal. bucket in the back of the Jeep. Keeps the ride clean and I often use the bucket at trashy areas. And when daylight dims, I just throw all finds into my nearby bucket to be checked out at home later. Have had some mud encrusted sweet surprises waiting for me in that bucket. And once while out in the desert without a detector, I filled my bucket with sand from beneath a washed out road crossing a drywash ... to be panned out later. Saw some neat rocks for the garden ... made it to the bucket. Last winter I used the bucket as a snow shovel to dig out the Jeep when we stayed too long in Jersey. Geesh that stuff is cold. Once, after Jersey, filled the bucket with ice and drinks when we realized we were having too much fun to go home and didn't want to buy another cooler. Can also be tipped over to sit on. Next to duck tape, I'd have to say a bucket is a most versatile tool.

Oh, and don't forget the duct tape.

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
liftloop said:
Hay......I'm a flimsy garden trowel user..so......BACK..OFF....

You're a flimsy dress wearer too...so it figures! :laughing9:

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can get a military bayonet, those are great. Some garden trowels are ok, the ones that will break before they bend. Other than that, a backhoe could come in handy at times.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Treasure_Hunter said:
Welcome to the addiction and to Treasurenet. Just remember to cover all your holes, try to make it look like you were never there when you finish......
Very good advise, and one of the best tools to have in your arsenal.

Digger54

Dec 6, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, Minelab Sovereign GT, Fisher1280X, Nautilus DMCIIB
bpd138 said:
Hello again,
As I eagerly await the arrival of my new Minelad X-Terra 505 I am trying to decide what basic "tools" I will need for general metal detecting. I'm looking for advice on things like shovels, spades, gloves etc. I want to put together a basic kit to take with me that I can add to it as I become more experienced.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Once again, thanks for any information.
Willie

Where will you be detecting and what type will you be doing? IE coin shooting in parks, relic hunting in the deep woods, beach hunting...? Give some more input so we can impart what we have experienced.

OP
OP
B

bpd138

Tenderfoot
Jan 4, 2011
Once again, thanks for all the advice. I live in Belchertown, Massachusetts. It was founded in the 1700's and has a lot of history surrounding it. There are several old farms, stone walls in the middle of the woods, an old rail bed, cellar holes and the list goes on. Currently I am reading and researching the history and looking for old maps looking for insight on how the town was populated back in the 1700 and 1800's.

Back to building my toolkit; Any suggestions on what type of small shovel to get? Are the cheaper Pinpointers (Bounty Hunter) any good? Lastly but not least what do you use to carry all this stuff in?

My X-Terra is slated to arrive on Tuesday and I can't wait. I've read the manual inside and out and I'm ready to get out and practice. I've got a few places picked out for my first attempts at this very intriguing hobby.

If nothing else comes out of this, Belchertown will be a much cleaner place when I have finished digging up all the pull tabs and bottle caps! lol

Take care,
Willie

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ames 7 in one garden trowel works great, and 10 bucks or so. The BH pointer sucks, I personally don't use one, but did try the garret probe, and would but if I really needed one. Don't fall for the gimmick stuff ya get. Give it a week or so and you will see what YOU need.

dogpound

Sep 24, 2010
southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
harbor freight and lowes has small 30 inch spade shovels for around 10 bucks if ya plan on diggin in the woods or fields, if your in a more groomed area than a smaller ames 7 in 1 tool works great. a backpack also works great for holding all your gear, that way water and snacks can be carried along with your tools,spare batteries and other gear. if ya wanna go cheap on a pinpointer harbor freight has one for under 20 bucks.

May 8, 2009
I use a diving knife to dig most targets that are shallow. You can cut a round plug in turf and flip it over without doing much damage to the sod if your in a yard or park. The cheap survival knives, about $10.00 are good. They are tough enough to pry with without breaking or bending and will hack through small roots. My son uses one and we both seem to use the knives as our first go to tool. An all plastic garden trowel is good sometimes for checking a scoop of dirt to see if your target is in it and an old towel to pile the dirt on makes the cleanup easier. I have a cheap pin pointer from harbor freight and I think it's a great value for the money. Hope you have a great time, it's all about the thrill of the hunt not what you find. Happy hunting. Al

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread