Bass Assassin 8

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The Japanese tsunami was an interesting thing for us on the coast. Even though it devastated coastal areas of Japan its reverberation to the other side of the Pacific was pretty tame…we did get a ripple and that was about it, although one guy did die down by the Klamath in Oregon. The basin where I hunt was in fact near the epicenter of a 9.0 earthquake in the year 1700. There are the remains of massive trees on the beach whose last growth ring date to 1699, whole groves of trees were submerged, the evidence of it is everywhere if you know to look. The tsunami that followed smashed into Japan and is documented in their historical records and the local tribes maintain story traditions of earthquake and devastation.

We didn’t know what to expect to wash up from the 2011 tsunami or when to expect it. Lots of sciency folks were saying March of 2013 but we were seeing stuff long before that and be that it is March of 2013 now…I am not seeing much. We mostly got a bunch of garbage actually, bits of Styrofoam, plastic bottles, stuff like that…but I did pick up some floats and of course bottles too.

The first bottles I found were a pair of Korean cold medicine bottles. The glass is very thin and I was surprised they made it over in one piece. They are “Dong Wha Pancold” remedies.

I next picked up a Paolyta B bottle, from Taiwan I think. From what I understand it is a sort of mix between “Red Bull” and cheap red plonk wine. Supposedly tastes like a bulldog cleaning his testicles but the Chinese swear by it as a lunch time pick me up.

I then found this Russian vodka bottle….it translates as “Ishtok” and from what I understand is popular there but can’t be found here…I assume because it is good and they don’t allow the good stuff out of their country.

But the best one I found was this little Japanese guy. (Well truth be told. I didn’t find it, my son that found the “Beggs” bottle did). It’s an obvious cork top and with some age to it as well. I don’t read Japanese but since my older son does (and lives there) I sent it to him. He in turn asked his wife who wrote and told me it says “lion toothwash”. But really it says “Rion” but since in Japanese “L” and “R” are the same thing, what they mean is “Lion”. And I mean that too….not only can they not pronounce them as different sounds, they don’t even HEAR them as different sounds. This little bottle dates from the 1920’s or before. I expect to see more and when I do I will share.

Attachments

• DSC01420.JPG
    DSC01420.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 111
  • DSC01660.JPG
    DSC01660.JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 102
  • DSC01644.JPG
    DSC01644.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 116
  • DSC01642.JPG
    DSC01642.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 126
  • DSC01643.JPG
    DSC01643.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 119
  • DSC01645.JPG
    DSC01645.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 132
  • DSC03333.JPG
    DSC03333.JPG
    201.2 KB · Views: 133

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks again uncleman. Strange finds indeed. The little corktop is really neat.

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't forget, we really want see some pics of the magic spot sometime in the future

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So is this area an old dumpsite?

OP
OP
unclemac

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
....which site?...the site I get my other bottles from?....the basin?....no, re-read Bass Assassin 6...it has a good description of what the site is or was. The bottles from this particular post are just random from the beach.

OP
OP
unclemac

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
...but I do have a dump site story from this beach....that will be next.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread