Batteries for Xcal, rechargeable Vs standard

teklord

Sep 26, 2006
Orlando Fl.
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have used the rechargeable pods for years and kept a standard pod as a back up. Over time the use life of rechargeable packs is reduced, about 8 hours on an older pack. Rather than using a recharge pod the last time out I switched to the standard battery pack using Duracell Quantum AA,
the ones with a test strip on the side, they are going on 15 hours now. I am running them until they die just to see how long they last. This has me rethinking the use of regular batteries. If cost over time is the deciding factor the rechargeable still seem the way to go, but for hours between pod changes the Quantum batteries win.

Tek

Upvote 0

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
This is good to know as I own two Excals!
Please keep us posted with your findings.
Thanks
Best of Luck out there!
Rusty

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Those old rechargeables really take a beating and can get less then 4 hours once they have been around for awhile. I uses to use the alkaline packs for back up until I came across the LiPo..... , I have one I used last summer that last about 40 to 45 hours percharge, and it takes less then 15 minutes to charge. Cost is up there but I bet you could get a full setup for around 70 dollars, charger and battery. And you can charge it from the car battery as well. Good for stormy areas...

Also I do not use the LiPo in the Bay since it is submerged 99% of the time, at the ocean I use the lipo because most of my hunting is on the slopes...and the detector only gets wet from the waves...

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those old rechargeables really take a beating and can get less then 4 hours once they have been around for awhile. I uses to use the alkaline packs for back up until I came across the LiPo..... , I have one I used last summer that last about 40 to 45 hours percharge, and it takes less then 15 minutes to charge. Cost is up there but I bet you could get a full setup for around 70 dollars, charger and battery. And you can charge it from the car battery as well. Good for stormy areas...

Also I do not use the LiPo in the Bay since it is submerged 99% of the time, at the ocean I use the lipo because most of my hunting is on the slopes...and the detector only gets wet from the waves...
What is the LiPo..... And can it be submerged in fresh water?

OP
OP
T

teklord

Sep 26, 2006
Orlando Fl.
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
An update: got the distinctive Weeeeoooooo sound of dead batteries on the next time out. I'm calling it at 15 but not more than 16 hours on these. All hunts were at night so the heat was not excessive, as much as that may effect the lifespan. Now recording the hours on the next set to see if they perform the same. The signals were strong and steady right up until they went out. No sign of them getting weaker over time.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of the older blues use only 700 dcv batteries. Maxxpacks are 1600 dcv and honestly more hours of hunting than you can do. Their charger will charge a battery in about an hour and shut off which keeps the batteries cooler and it has a light. Around $50 for the two. Joe, didnt you say you had to remove those LiPos to charge them? Im lazy man lol.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of the older blues use only 700 dcv batteries. Maxxpacks are 1600 dcv and honestly more hours of hunting than you can do. Their charger will charge a battery in about an hour and shut off which keeps the batteries cooler and it has a light. Around $50 for the two. Joe, didnt you say you had to remove those LiPos to charge them? Im lazy man lol.

I have two, one for each excal...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread