Batteries: I have seen the future and the initials are NiZN!!

brimster

Feb 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Recently the rechargeable NiMH factory battery pack for my Minelab Sovereign GT died and I went searching for better options. I avoided the battery pack/alkaline option both because it is very expensive over time and is environmentally unfriendly. I considered the battery pack/NiMH option but was concerned about the lower nominal voltage (1.2V) vs. alkaline (1.5V). Finally, I landed on the battery pack/NiZN battery option. These NiZN batteries are amazing with initial voltage of 1.8V (1.6V nominal) and an mAh rating of 2500 (vs. 1000 for the Minelab rechargeable NiMH battery pack). They even weigh slightly less and are significantly less expensive than the Minelab pack!

At this point, I’m wondering why anyone would use the factory battery packs.

My batteries were from PowerGenix (www.powergenix.com) and I found them on Amazon.

I’d be very interested to hear feedback from others.

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
brimster said:
...and an mAh rating of 2500...

2500 mAh or 2500 mWh? There is a difference.

OP
OP
B

brimster

Feb 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
doubloon hunter said:
Will that high voltage present a problem?????

Nope. Cleared it with Minelab before going the NiZN route. They did say that they didn't recommend 1.2A NiMH AA batteries though (which I found surprising given the number of folks using those very batteries!).

cosmic

Dec 31, 2006
Watseka, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Core, X pointer, Sunrays
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Easy, mAh = mHh/nominal volts.. 2500/1.6=1562 mAh I have been using them for a couple years about half left out of 24..

OP
OP
B

brimster

Feb 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just a quick postscript... While NiZN works great for the Sovereign, they will not work for E-Trac. E-Trac has a voltage limit of 13V. The fully charged NiZN pack is nearly 15V. Just an FYI...

Daedalus

Feb 2, 2011
Strafford , Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT / MineLab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NO , not for sure but most brands say you can , call Whites and they will let you know if you can , they are very good and helping you with answers to questions about there detectors .

And yep they are great batteries and work very well . I use them in a lot of my equipment .

Atrus

Greenie
Aug 16, 2009
western North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Hello everyone,

I know this thread is a little old, but I bought these batteries a little over a year ago, and mine read 1.8v and sometimes as high as 2.3v after recharging too. They do settle down after taking them out of the charger, but that initial voltage is quite high.

NiZn1.jpg

The digital cameras & GPS receivers love them, but I decided to check with Minelab before I tried them. Minelab would not recomend using them. Fully charged, my battery pack read 18.6v!

So, I made two "dummy" cells. I used large nails, cut them to size on the lathe, then turned wooden sleeves on the lathe to just a tad shorter than a AA cell, and glued in the nails.

NiZn2.jpg NiZn3.jpg

Now, with freshly charged batteries, I only put SIX cells in the AA battery pack, and use the two dummy cells. That gives me 10.8v (at 1.6v per cell, or 11.8v at 1.9v per cell), which is higher than the 9.6v Minelab rechargable battery pack, and still within the 12v max recommended by Minelab. I can use the E-Trac for several hours before the battery even begins to show any signs of weakening. When it does, I just pop out one of the dummies, and put in one of the two NiZn cells that are still fully charged. I'm back to full charge again, and I still have another fully charged cell to go. It works great, and I never come close to getting near the danger point of over voltage.

NiZn4.jpg

Sometimes a "dummy" or two is the smartest way to go! [SUB]:laughing7:[/SUB]

Just thought I'd let you guys know what I did...

Jim

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT with 10"DD coil, Sun Ray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone,

I know this thread is a little old, but I bought these batteries a little over a year ago, and mine read 1.8v and sometimes as high as 2.3v after recharging too. They do settle down after taking them out of the charger, but that initial voltage is quite high.

The digital cameras & GPS receivers love them, but I decided to check with Minelab before I tried them. Minelab would not recomend using them. Fully charged, my battery pack read 18.6v!

So, I made two "dummy" cells. I used large nails, cut them to size on the lathe, then turned wooden sleeves on the lathe to just a tad shorter than a AA cell, and glued in the nails.

Now, with freshly charged batteries, I only put SIX cells in the AA battery pack, and use the two dummy cells. That gives me 10.8v (at 1.6v per cell, or 11.8v at 1.9v per cell), which is higher than the 9.6v Minelab rechargable battery pack, and still within the 12v max recommended by Minelab. I can use the E-Trac for several hours before the battery even begins to show any signs of weakening. When it does, I just pop out one of the dummies, and put in one of the two NiZn cells that are still fully charged. I'm back to full charge again, and I still have another fully charged cell to go. It works great, and I never come close to getting near the danger point of over voltage.

Sometimes a "dummy" or two is the smartest way to go! [SUB]:laughing7:[/SUB]

Just thought I'd let you guys know what I did...

Jim

That's just brilliant! I love when people put that much thought into subjects like this! Now I'm looking into doing something like you did with my MXT battery pack! Thanks for the info!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been using these in my Tesoro Sand Shark for over a year and they RULE! I have been preaching NiZn since I got them. GREAT Batteries!

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Atrus, Good show! Where did you get the NiZn batteries? Good idea, but I would have used copper rod instead of steel nails. The steel nails are presenting some resistance in the circuit and using some of your power. Frank

Attachments

• hand print-2_edited-5.jpg
    hand print-2_edited-5.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 439

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread