Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just wanted to read what most of you do concerning leaving the batteries in your detectors:

If you are NOT STORING the detector, like for a couple of months, do you you just leave the batteries in for the next hunt, which might be in a week, days, etc.?

I can understand taking them out if stored for say a few months or more, but just curious of your habits and opinions concerning this practice. With 8aa batteries necessary to run some of these detectors, and two 9V for others, etc., it seems this is one of the biggest overheads in the hobby.

Just wondering.

SuchMuch

Jan 7, 2017
St.Petersburg
Detector(s) used
AKA Sorex Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I just wanted to read what most of you do concerning leaving the batteries in your detectors:

If you are NOT STORING the detector, like for a couple of months, do you you just leave the batteries in for the next hunt, which might be in a week, days, etc.?

I can understand taking them out if stored for say a few months or more, but just curious of your habits and opinions concerning this practice. With 8aa batteries necessary to run some of these detectors, and two 9V for others, etc., it seems this is one of the biggest overheads in the hobby.

Just wondering.

More than month - remove, otherwise keep installed. Batteries should be quality ones and metal detector's switch off button should be of mechanical type

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
I take mine out just because I'll never forget to take batteries. BTW don't use batteries marked
Heavy Duty" My understanding they are lead acid. If they leak damage will be done.
If someone knows different, let me know.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In except for the winter hibernation.

I don't think batteries in AA or 9v come in a lead acid variety. Alkaline, NiCad, Lithium, or Lithium Polymer. All dry cell compositions.

Last edited:

treasuresalvor

Mar 14, 2011
Earth
Detector(s) used
A couple Sovereign's, Excalibur II, Eureka Gold, Falcon MD20, TM808, Sierra Madre, 5900 DIProsl, Garrett ADS III with Bloodhound, Fisher 1280x, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only in the Winter but I always forget and it ends up being the middle of the Winter before I actually do it. This post just reminded me to take my batteries out of everything. The rest of the year, batteries only come out when there dead.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
I hunt every day or every few days so I leave them in.
For storage or if I am not planning on hunting for a week or two they come out.
Alkaline batteries actually have a higher chance of leaking than the older lead batteries so even though it is rare I figure why take the chance...sometimes in life I have great luck and other times not so much.
I can take 20 seconds out of my busy life to insert them again before a hunt.

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I take mine out just because I'll never forget to take batteries. BTW don't use batteries marked
Heavy Duty" My understanding they are lead acid. If they leak damage will be done.
If someone knows different, let me know.

The manual for my Teknetics 4000 strongly recommends alkaline batteries so you are correct.

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
The manual for my Teknetics 4000 strongly recommends alkaline batteries so you are correct.

Alkaline also corrode and leak ... especially if your equipment is accidentally left on / turned on. I've seen it more than once - I learned it from my teenage daughter's refusal to remove batteries from her radio, mp3 player, and other items.

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For a daily hunter, no, I would leave them in and just check the condition before each hunt. As I do not hunt this time of the year, I take them out and set the packs with the units and check the cells for leakage. Same with the pinpointers. I use only what is recommended by the manufacturer and in most cases that is Alkaline or NiMH(Nickel Metal Hydride) Rechargeable batteries. NiCads are the older version rechargeable and are not as available. Lithium Batteries are good too.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Never worry about Li and LiP's. NEVER leave alkalines in Anything for more than a short while.
I only use Li's in my detecting equipment tho.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do not take chances, take out batteries when not using your detectors. Good hunting and good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread