battery question

lets_go

Dec 29, 2004
Wyandotte, Michigan
I wondered over to a lot that a house was demolished to detect a little yesterday. The first hit I got was a later penny, second hit turned up a toy car, third hit a piece of chicken wire, from there things went haywire. I would git a signal and dig but nothing was there, then I would wave the detector over the diggings and it would sound off but nothing was there. There was no evidence of rusted nails. I have a Whites Classic SL with just two knobs disc. and sin. nothing more. My question is, how can you tell when the batteries are low, does the machine just stop or does it give you false readings?

Upvote 0

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I had a White's and I would have the same problem, even if the battery indicator showed 2-3 bars of battery left, if it got that low it would start to crackle and pop at me. Try swapping the batteries out and that should get you fixed up. Happy Hunting!

Rob in NY

Greenie
Apr 21, 2005
Long Island NY
You didn't say which SL you have, but all 3 manuals say the signal will weaken as the batteries run down.
It also says up to 80 hrs of run-time with alkaline batteries and 50 hrs with regular batteries.
If you don't have a manual you can download or read it at Whites website.
Good luck,
Rob

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have rechargable batteries so I pick up a pack of 8 every time I go into a store that has batteries. I now have batteries stashed everywhere! They're taking over my house! I have so many I forget where I put them yet can't find any when I need them! I try to change them when my detector shows a half charge whether it is acting up or not. Don't want to get caught with my batterys down or wearing dirty underwear in case of an emergency! JIM

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread