Battle of Bulls Bluff

kool361

Nov 19, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV
Has anyone done any detecting around the area of The Battle of Bulls Bluff? I know a good portion is protected land but after reviewing the some of the original battle maps it appears as if some of it could be on private or public land. If there is anyone that has let me know maybe we can get together and go over there. I just started detecting and would really like to do some relic hunting. I understand it being December doesn't really help my chances though.

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have not hunted anywhere near Ball's Bluff, but I suspect it is like most of the other areas around Leesburg. Either it is off limits or it has been pounded by relic hunters for the last 40 years.

DCMatt

OP
OP
K

kool361

Nov 19, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV
I figured as much. What's a shame is it looks as if they built apartments on top of a ridge where the artillery emplacements were. It really looks like the actual park is but a small portion of where the battle took place. Urban sprawl in Virgina has really taken away alot of these areas. I thought about going to Poolesville in Maryland and checking around there since that is where the main Union force started from. What are your thoughts?

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Diggin said:
The entire area has been overrun by spawl. It's really disappointing.

DM

DM,

You said it. I'm in Fairfax county near Herndon. Not much open ground left around here. Although, I've found that anytime there is construction, you can usually find CW relics. Recently, I worked a field near the Chantilly/Ox Hill battlefield where they are building a new grocery store. Pulled a number of fired bullets, flat buttons, and part of a spur. A buddy found a Confederate sword guard in the area, too.

Point is... There is still stuff in the ground pretty much anywhere you swing a coil in the DC metropolis. You just gotta take what you can get.

Kool,

You're right about the housing built on the Ball's Bluff battlefield. It's the same story across much of northern Virginia. County tax revenues usually out weigh historic importance or nostalgia.

If there is open ground in the Poolesville area and you can get on it, I'm confident you'll dig CW relics. If you need help covering a large area, let me know. :wink:

I do much of my hunting in Loudoun county. Lots of history there and good stuff always comes out of the ground. Sometimes not much, but I'm rarely disappointed.

DCMatt

OP
OP
K

kool361

Nov 19, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV
Yeah I would love to come out to Loudon county. Just want to have the opportunity to find something even if it is a bullet.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread