Battle of Padierna / Contreras

zevoruko

Greenie
Jul 13, 2010
A friend and I just bought a used metal detector because we want to get started in this fantastic hobby.

We live in Mexico City and our first thought would be to search for items that might had been left behind from the Battle of Contreras (also know as Battle of Padierna).

This happened in mid XIX century when the US invaded Mexico, here is more info if you are interested: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Contreras

His family lives near the battle grounds and when he was little and they were building the road next to his house his dad found old bullet casings so we figure either the battle happened there or at least they had a small position there for a while.

Our big question is if you know where we could find more accurate maps of this battle being that is was an American war.

Has anyone here heard anything from this battle or could tell us what we could expect to find?

Thanks!

BTW we are going to use a Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter II and we plan on perhaps buying a Garret 250 in the near future. Is the BH SS II any good?

OP
OP
Z

zevoruko

Greenie
Jul 13, 2010
Well we went there this last Saturday with a friend.

We were a little dissapointed since his father had found a bayonet in his garden but as soon as we headed towards the woods we found nothing but trash in the areas that had been recreational gardens for the last decades. People are too dirty.

Then we moved to other areas of forest but other than a broken horseshoe or nails we couldnt find anything worthwhile.

There is a spot where my friend's father found a gold coin without even digging many years ago but its 2 hours walking so we decided to postpone it for a while.

The other spot we have identified is great because it is a small hill where American troops were stationed but we doubt we might find good access since it is now semi-private forest surrounded by houses and people here are very "wary" of other people walking in their backyards.

I'll keep you guys posted....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread