Battle of Pine Barren / Pensacola

toy4runr

Greenie
Oct 22, 2007
North West Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Looking through the old maps at the University If West Florida special collections I found a mention of a civil war battle at a place near Molino called Pine Barren. Anyone have a lead on where it is?I know that it is NOT anywere near Pine Barren Road in Century. Which reminds me, there was a big old mill near Century, and now all that is left is a lake where people go to rasie hell in the summer. Anyone hunted that area?
Wes

OP
OP
T

toy4runr

Greenie
Oct 22, 2007
North West Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Ahhh. Thank you Relicdude! As soon as it warms up I'll take my dad out there to check it out. Have you hunted the area? Are there places there where we can get permission to hunt? Thanks again.

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
You may want to give this site a good read. http://algersullivan.org/pringles_creek.html

It claims that the battle actually took place on Pringles Creek which is at Bluff Springs and that it was recorded as the battle of Pine Barren due to an erroneous entry into the Union commander's log book.

Who knows for sure? I will tell you though you have to be VERY careful if you go down to Pringles...some pretty rowdy folks go down there to drink and raise hell.

Pcola

OP
OP
T

toy4runr

Greenie
Oct 22, 2007
North West Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Hmmmm Pcolaboy....verrry interesting. Didn't those ponds up there make the news two summers ago when a body was found floating in one of them?? I remember thinking at the time that it would be a great pace to MD except that there is prolly TONS of trash.

Has anyone hunted the RR tracks around Pollard, or anywhere around Pollard? I'm trying to find a good place to take my Dad detecting. He would really love to find a mini ball, or anything from the civil war.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread