Battlefield Bullet Bonanza

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Went to a new site yesterday in the western part of Virginia. Some pretty heavy Civil War fighting occurred on and around the property I was on - several hundred acres. I wanted to at least scan as many of what I thought were probably the hot spots, therefore I did not get to spend a whole lot of time in any one place. I'm not 100% sure if I'll be able to get back in there - probably so, but since this could be my only time, I wanted to check out as much as I could. Hunted from 9 am to 6:30 pm by myself. After gearing up, I took about 10 steps from my vehicle and within two minutes had found two 3 ringers. I knew it was going to be a good day. :hello2: By the time the snow had started falling as it was turning dark, I had dug over 30 bullets and musket balls and an iron butt plate. Dug my first Enfield and a dropped Gardner that was still packed with gunpowder. I also dug quite a bit of melted lead and this round brass piece. Not sure what it is - I'm guessing it's off of a belt, holster or some other piece of leather? Any ideas on that piece would be appreciated. I'll be putting together a video as well. Thanks for lookin'!

Attachments

• IMG_3604.jpg
    IMG_3604.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 503
  • IMG_3606.jpg
    IMG_3606.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 497
  • IMG_3607.jpg
    IMG_3607.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 501
Upvote 0

HUNTER12

May 24, 2011
Great finds, The little piece on the bottom looks like the stud clasp on a cap box. leather cover had a round hole on the bottom tab and slipped over the clasp to close the cap box . it was worn on the belt towards the front of the soldier.

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great hunt O.S. I see you bought that T2 SE. Did you use it on that hunt? WTG on great recoveries, Quindy.

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
HUNTER12 said:
Great finds, The little piece on the bottom looks like the stud clasp on a cap box. leather cover had a round hole on the bottom tab and slipped over the clasp to close the cap box . it was worn on the belt towards the front of the soldier.

Thanks Hunter.

mustang8780

Feb 28, 2010
Gainesville, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Minelab GPX-4800, Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, the little round piece is a Cap Box Finial, would have been used to hold the soldiers cap box closed.

Phil

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
VOL1266-X said:
Great hunt O.S. I see you bought that T2 SE. Did you use it on that hunt? WTG on great recoveries, Quindy.

Yes, some. I started w/my MXT Pro. It was hittin' on those bullets like crazy. I hunted w/it until lunch time, then took the T2 back over the same ground and it was hittin' solid on the bullets as well. But I only used it for about an hour. I was a bit hesitant to rely on a brand new machine on a spot like this when I might not be able to get back in there. Secondly, they were calling for rain and I was headed off about a mile from my vehicle. The MXT can handle a little rain, but not sure about the T2. Also, the short cord on the earphones was driving me absolutely crazy. I had to remove the headphones every time I recovered a target. That ain't gonna happen again. I need to find a way to extend that cord or get a different set up earphones. That being said, my first impression of the T2 is very positive. Not at all as chatty and erratic as I've read from others. I even ran it in all metal for a while. The MXT is far noisier than the T2. I'm looking forward to taking it to some of the same sites I've hunted with the MXT.

One thing I've learned about metal detectors though, they're kinda like women. It takes quite a while to learn what they're really saying, and even after you think you know, she's still easy to misinterpret. :dontknow:

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
WTG on the Enfield and all your find's there Stonewall,keep hitting that place if you can.Nice dig's :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
civilman1 said:
WTG on the Enfield and all your find's there Stonewall,keep hitting that place if you can.Nice dig's :thumbsup:

Thanks Civilman. I hope to.

HuntNdig

Oct 6, 2011
North Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice haul, and what a hunt! Thats some time you spent today!

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
HuntNdig said:
nice haul, and what a hunt! Thats some time you spent today!

Thanks. It was quite a day indeed. How does one ever go back to diggin' wheat pennies after a day like that? ::)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread