paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been looking at this yard near the center of the town for some time now, and after a very enjoyable talk with the owners on the local history I was able to get started. The house is still the original late 1700's with some modifications, but the front yard used to have the town general store before it was torn down, so a very promising piece of land.

It certainly did not disappoint with many clearly 1800's relics, but almost every other piece I pulled out of the ground was new to me so I'll definitely need some help keeping them out of the unknown box! The first grouping are the buckles and I was able to add two new batwing buckles to my collection; one of the largest and one of the smallest.

DSC02859.JPG DSC02860.JPG

I always like finding batwing buckles, but the size extremes in the same yard is particularly unusual. The next is my main mystery piece:

DSC02861.JPG DSC02863.JPG

It's silver plated copper with a pewter back; very similar in construction to a bridle rosette including a trench in the pewter where an iron bar might have been, but I've never seen a non-circular rosette before so maybe something else. Has anyone found anything like this before?

The next is also a new one for me:

DSC02865.JPG DSC02866.JPG DSC02867.JPG

It's a brass relic, but what's interesting is that it was cast as opposed to made from sheet brass. Someone put a ton of time into shaping and polishing the outside so I'm thinking a decorative piece; maybe from a scabbard? It had three holes near the top and was circular before being crushed a long time ago.

I love finding personalized relics and this next one is a fully intact nameplate:

DSC02869.JPG DSC02870.JPG

The lettering is "John W. Peterson Valatie N.Y." I can't find much specific to that name since it's relatively generic, but I'm still poking through old genealogy sheets from Valatie so there's still some hope. This town is well outside of Valatie, but was an industrial center in the mid 1800's so he may have traveled here regularly to buy or sell goods. Finding his profession and what he traded would be very interesting in terms of the local history.

These are the rest of the mystery pieces. The weird folded brass plate says: "St. Croix" so maybe more modern.

DSC02871.JPG

These at least were more familiar; a few pieces of pewter spoons and a cute little crotal bell that still has the iron ball inside.

DSC02872.JPG

And finally the only button out of the yard; a tiny convex button which I only rarely find here and even more unusual is the delicate etching of a thistle on the dome. Very pretty and the first I've seen like this.

DSC02873.JPG DSC02874.JPG

Oddly the only coins were two wheat pennies; a 1917 and a 1942. I did some extensive gridding, but I'll definitely be going back when the ground is wetter since I'm sure there's more to be found. With all these relics, there's got to be at least one mercury dime and I can't stop until I find it! :laughing7:

DSC02858.JPG

Upvote 19

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent hunt with a nice assortment of finds.
I think the polished brass piece may be the tip of a cane.
Congratulations

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would kill to find a big batwing buckle! Great find!

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the two great looking buckles and the other relics like the name plate.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the relics! :occasion14:

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
UUNNREAL.........

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gotta love those bat wings.

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Your John Peterson tag is actually a "wagon makers plate" (also found on buggies). John just happened to be a wagon maker though. :icon_thumleft:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-09-10 at 6.07.59 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-09-10 at 6.07.59 AM.jpg
    228.7 KB · Views: 102

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent finds!!! The Crotal bell looks great also but I love that big batwing buckle!!

Congrats and HH

Mud Hut

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great buckle! I love that wagon plate, too! You had a nice hunt!

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! You wrecked it on the relics mate!:headbang: I love every single one. Loads of way cool big grin keepers here! Heck yeah! Well done.:icon_salut:

OP
OP
P

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your John Peterson tag is actually a "wagon makers plate" (also found on buggies). John just happened to be a wagon maker though.

That is awesome; thank so much for the superb identification! Any piece showing local manufacturing from those days is precisely the kind of thing I look for and I know the family will be very excited to hear about this. Thank you again!

Last edited:

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
That is awesome; thank so much for the superb identification! Any piece showing local manufacturing from those days is precisely the kind of thing I look for and I know the family will be very excited to hear about this. Thank you again!

You are welcome .. glad I could be of some help.

OP
OP
P

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just thought you guys might like to see this. Based on the fantastic info from Creskol I pulled up the nearest dated historical map I could find of Valatie NY and there it was:

John Peterson.jpg

John W. Peterson's home and wagon shop where this tag was made. Might take a trip down there to see how it looks 144 years later.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also think your three holed thimble is a cane tip Very nice finds

OP
OP
P

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also think your three holed thimble is a cane tip Very nice finds

Thank you! I think it's likely a cane tip too after seeing some other dug examples.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread