Bavarian Monastery Gold find! Who has tried it before?

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT with 10"DD coil, Sun Ray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I found this bottle of 86 proof Bavarian Monastery Gold liquor a while back for free. Its unopened & sealed but its somewhat old (early 70's I believe) & I have never tried the stuff before nor do I know anyone who has tried it before. Seems its some form of Goldschläger type of liquor. Not a cinnamon flavor an herb flavor but it is supposed to have gold flakes in it tho you can't see thru the stoneware bottle to see them.

Has anyone here ever tried this stuff? Is it safe to still try? Would it be better to just leave it sealed? Ya can't sell alcohol without a liquor license so I'm tempted to try a 40 year old bottle of this stuff! What do ya think? I know some alcohol sort of goes bad after time (ya don't want 10 year old beer) let alone 40 year old! But some alcohol get better with age, much better.

Opinions? Drink it or keep it or what?
DSC04016.JPG

Last edited:

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:tongue3:Drink it - just have 911 on speed dial

billn1956

Jan 2, 2010
send it to me! I will try it out and give you a report.Since you can not sell it .I will in turn give you a gift.. sounds fair enough

OP
OP
inspectorgadget

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This alcohol is also known as Chartreuse it is a French liqueur made by the Carthusian Monks since 1737 according to the instructions set out in the secret manuscript given to them by François Annibal d'Estrées in 1605. It is composed of distilled alcohol aged with 130 herbs, plants and flowers. The liqueur is named after the Monks' Grande Chartreuse monastery, located in the Chartreuse Mountains in the general region of Grenoble in France. The liqueur is produced in their distillery in the nearby town of Voiron (Isère).

Chartreuse gives its name to the colour chartreuse, which was first used as a term of colour in 1884.[1] It is one of the handful of liquors that continues to age and improve in the bottle.

Note Wiki says it does get better with age! Also the bottle says it has Saffron in it. If anyone knows anything about saffron then you know it is the most expensive pound for pound type food item on earth!
Chartreuse (liqueur) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Monastery Gold mini Liqueur (West Germany) Year 1970' / OT0323-B7

The Liquor Collection

billn1956, I'll take that into consideration but I dunno now that I know its something that ages & gets even better! There is a tiny unopened 50 ML bottle of this stuff from the 70's in one of those links & they want $24 for it. That is basically a big shot for $24! ?? wow! This one was made in West Germany same as the one in the link thats for sale is.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish there was an outlet for liquor and wine. I pass on many high dollar wines and such all the time. I don't drink so I don't usually buy it. But I know what some of it's worth. Like the bottle of '99 Perrier Jouet Blanc Champagne that I walked away from 2 days ago. I did trade a bottle of scotch for some silver once though.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Bought a bunch of unopened bottles of wine at an estate sale once. I don't drink but I gave them all to my wife and she was quite pleased with me!

OP
OP
inspectorgadget

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bought a bunch of unopened bottles of wine at an estate sale once. I don't drink but I gave them all to my wife and she was quite pleased with me!

Unless they had a liquor license they pulled a big no no! I was at an on site estate auction last week & the company couldn't even sell the old very cool 1950's slot machine that was there. I know alcohol can't be sold thru any of our local auction houses but some slips thru in pallets at one auction quite often. They however can sell tobacco & related products at auction houses..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread