Bazooka gold trap or gold cube

Dain8404

Jan 31, 2013
Colby, KS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the bazooka gold trap (prospector and mini) and a 3 stack gold cube. I have used them all and I love them all. They all bring something to the table the other has not. I am back in Kansas where the gold is superfine, flower, (whatever you want to call it) to nonexistent. I have made high banker kits for the prospector and the mini for when I needed them. I know the best results will be with classification (but I know the zookas don't require it). I will be crushing rock around here to around 50 mesh or finer a lot of the time.

But I am wondering what some of you think is the best route to go with considering the information provided. Thanks in advance!

OP
OP
Dain8404

Dain8404

Jan 31, 2013
Colby, KS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And Kevin, if you read this know I have not forgot. Just busy with the move, new job and new born. It will prob be around next spring.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
These are based on the assumption you will be operating in highbanker mode.

If the gold is mostly minus 100 mesh (that is what I consider "super fine") then the cube might be the better option. That is what it was designed to maximize recovery for. The cube does limit you on overall daily throughput compared to a zook but there may be a total gold recovery trade off that favors the zook by running more material.

Good luck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dain8404

Dain8404

Jan 31, 2013
Colby, KS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What I was thinking but wanted to hear opinions. In this setting it will be about slow runs rather than the move as much material as possible.

Thanks for input!

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
These are based on the assumption you will be operating in highbanker mode.

If the gold is mostly minus 100 mesh (that is what I consider "super fine") then the cube might be the better option. That is what it was designed to maximize recovery for. The cube does limit you on overall daily throughput compared to a zook but there may be a total gold recovery trade off that favors the zook by running more material.

Good luck.

Totally agree, but if the gold has some +/- 50 as OP indicated, maybe a run with the Bazooka first would be a good idea. You could catch all that goes through the Bazooka and run it in the Gold Cube anyway. But a Bazooka run would get a lot of gold and cons separated without the dirt; this fraction would then get its own run through the Cube or pan it depending on volume. But if the gold is mostly -100, like you said, just Cube it.

Bronze

Jun 21, 2013
Everett WA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro, Keene "3 dredge, Jobe yellow jacket, "36 Prospector Bazooka, a shovel, a pan and a worn out back.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what I understand the gold cube is more of a finishing tool that can be used in the field if you classify down pretty darn small. You definitely dont want 1/4 material going down a gold cube.

I would go with the bazooka tube for every day use. If you take your time with it, it will also catch fine gold. Maybe not as good as the cube, but you will definitely get more general use out of it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread