Bazooka Sniper - Does size matter?

G-bone

Dec 9, 2014
Ventura Ca
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro w/ NEL coil.
Minelab Xterra 705,
Bazooka Snipers (24" and 30").
Royal Folding Sluice with Gold hog mats.
Thompson 12V Puffer Drywasher.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all,

I know the title of this post is leaving it wide open for some good jokes :laughing7:
But the title fits.

So purchased a 24" Sniper and should have it soon.
I am confident that it will kick arss and I will not be disappointed.
It will do exactly as I intend it to be used and fit nicely and discreetly in my pack.

But I read a post from Skiddum of Utah, where he mentioned that if He knew better before hand, He would have purchased the 30" Sniper over the 24"....

All aspects of the two are identical except for that extra 6" of length.

So does 6" more of skid plate really make that much difference in the stratifying and classifying of the material as it's going down the shoot? Or is there more to it than just that?

I know the mouth is bigger by a few inches (width only) so that will increase water velocity.

Really just curious more than any concern.
But your two cents on the matter (if you have it) would be nice to hear.

Cheers and more gold to all.

G

OwenT

Feb 11, 2015
Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was wondering the same thing but I just decided to go with the 24" too, haven't got it yet either but really excited to. Anyway, the only thing I could come up with is that a longer one has more water catching ability. So in low flow you might have to build a little dam but the longer ones could just go right in. As for stratifying, I read a paper on sluice building and it said that you really only need a either 8 or 16" slick plate (can't remember which) before the first riffle in order to have everything properly stratified. Now that was for classified material but also 24" is longer than both 8 and 16 so I think it's just the water thing. Also I don't really know if it even needs to be stratified too well since everything kind of gets blown around in the trap together and that's really where the heavy stuff sinks.

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Of course it matters. But we'd all... Never mind. It sounds like you got the one that fits your needs so don't second guess. Pack in, discreet...

I have a 30" prospector. Saw a 36" and it was bigger. I imagine it has more capacity. I imagine it stratifies better. But the one I have has advantages of its own in weight and portability. It's a trade off. Go get some gold. If it doesn't do what you need get a prospector.

OP
OP
G-bone

G-bone

Dec 9, 2014
Ventura Ca
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro w/ NEL coil.
Minelab Xterra 705,
Bazooka Snipers (24" and 30").
Royal Folding Sluice with Gold hog mats.
Thompson 12V Puffer Drywasher.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, it is kind of a stupid question...........Size does matter.
And if she tells you differently, she's lying to you. :censored:

But in regards to the Sniper, the trap is the same for both lengths.
So I would say the the extra length increases:
A) More water velocity - obviously..
B) More material consumption per shovel full onto the skid plate.

Thanks guys!!

utah mason

Jul 10, 2015
utah
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was wondering the same thing. I'm getting ready to order a sniper also(as soon as some of my clients decide to pay their invoices)and was going to order the 30" over the 24" for the extra flow and longer plate to give the fines a little more time to drop in to trap.
I was wondering what's the reason you need to be discreet ?

davin

May 10, 2011
north idaho
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the bazooka sluice { sniper ] is quality build and works very well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread