bazooka-type sluice build

revanlive

Greenie
Oct 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi guys !
New here and fresh to the gold prospecting as well !
If you want to go straight to the point skip to number 4.

1- To tell you the background, I'm in Ireland and prospect some streams around since may.
I've been around 20 times out and have found gold i think 18 times so I'm really hooked !
Nothing crazy really, i'll attach a picture or two of what i have so far, knowing that I find in average 5/7 pieces per trip but increasing !
The gold is beautiful, coarse but small. Nothing like flat flakes here. I found some pieces that are like a frozen shrapnel explosion still holding some black sand, very cool specimens but tiny !
IMG_1435.jpg
IMG_1484.jpg

2- Anyway, at the moment I'm using a gold rush nugget bucket,and even though I love it, it's very slow to use. I usually process around 4-6 bucket in 4h or so (15L buckets).
I was planning on getting a grizzly gold trap but they closed down, and croc gold have problems with their shop for the last 6 months, and all are super expensive even without the shipping to Ireland.

3- So I thought I could make a sluice myself like many people !
Over the last 2 days I've done a bit of research and drawing and this afternoon I decided to model my plans in 3D (wich I had never done before but turns out it's very easy with tinkercad, and it's free).

4-I decided to make a small size fluid bed which would be perfect to reachfar areas and trap the very fine gold here. 45cm long, with a trap of 13.5x13.5 with the entry height at 5cm and the exit 6cm.
sorry for the imperial system user :(

MASSIVE thanks to Goodyguy and Goldwasher for their super answers on previous posts that helped me so much. All my dimensions fit their recommendations.

But with all the research I have 2 last questions :
- I've seen some have a "flow deflector plate" attached to the roof of the trap after the grizzlies, in order to disrupt the flow and break the surface tension to avoid floating fine gold to skid right through the sluice. Can you point me in the right direction as of how long the plate should be and where in relation to the trap ?
Should it be right after the dip in the trap and go as far as the height of this one ? i'm afraid that it'd clog the system. Check out the picture as it is right now.
sluice side view modif.jpg

- The grizzlies at the moment would be 2mm thick with a spacing of 10mm (almost 3/8th of an inch I think). Does this look too small for you ?
sluice back.png

-Oh and an extra question : for such a small sluice, I plan 3 tubes with 18 holes each. One bottom hole every 2cm and 2 holes at 5 and 8 o'clock every 2cm as well,alternated in relation to the bottom one.

sluice holes pattern.png
sluice tubes holes.png

(Goodyguy posted that pattern befor, credits to him).

If you are interested don't hesitate to ask anything about the design.
I have a few tweeks to do before calling it finale but when it's done I can drop the final designs and dimensions. I'm trying to keep it under 100€ and I should reach the target :)

Thanks for the read and the help :)

Upvote 0

Hamfist

Aug 1, 2014
SoCal
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Whippet, 151, GH, shovel, brain
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Since you're going to be spending many hours researching, designing, and building this device, I think you would be better off aiming for something closer in size to the Bazooka Prospector, which will accept a full shovel of material instead of a scoop or spoon. The dimensions you mentioned are more like the Bazooka Mini, which isn't going to process significantly more material than your nugget bucket, and will still require lots of water. My mining partner has a Mini and we only use that if we are hiking miles and doing some testing. If you have a slow flowing stream with shallow water, I'd go with a more traditional style sluice, with Gold Hog, dream mat, expanded metal & miners' moss, etc. Otherwise, go big. It's better to be restricted by your own shoveling pace than by your equipment.

I do have a 30 inch Sniper and a 36 inch Prospector so I can take photos, measurements...whatever you need. I rarely use my Sniper, as I feel there are better options if I'm in a stream with less water than I would need for the Prospector.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

revanlive

Greenie
Oct 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok I see, thanks for that.
I based the dimensions on a croc gold trap gator. The flow isn't a problem here at all.
I was thinking small because it's light and still efficient. And I plan to travel back home for holidays and spend some time prospecting there as I have learned that it is a gold bearing area :)
That's a good point about the restriction though. I find the nugget bucket good but it's the processing with the classifier that is very time consuming.
I could proportionally increase the dimensions. I'dhave to recalculate the tubes placements and holes though.
I guess I can't keep the same trap size if I get a bigger deck

Hamfist

Aug 1, 2014
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Copy that. There is definitely an advantage to small and light if you are traveling and it's nice not to have to classify using this type of sluice since you have plenty of water. I wish I had more GGT experience for you, but hopefully someone who does will chime in.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello revanlive and welcome to Tnet!

In your first picture there is one larger size hunk, if you measured that for width and length it's dimensions might be of some help in determining the spacing of the grizzlies.

In years past I've used a typical and totally stock Keene A52 sluice box so it is long and heavy-ish but definitely cumbersome to carry for long periods of time. Also I did not know how to use it but even with that I did recover about 1/4 oz of gold with it/because of it. Like you I feel a BGT/GGT type sluice would be much more efficient and as you've already found gold you know its there so it is worth your time, effort and cost to go forward with your project.

Currently you are working with numbers from at least three knowledgeable Tnet members, have any of them suggested a slightly larger unit?

Your dimensions: 45 cm = 17.72", 13.5 x 13.5 cm = 5.31", 5 cm = 1.967", 6 cm = 2.36" are of course what have been offered to you for the smallest of this type of sluice. IF its length went up to say 60.96 cm = 24" (35% longer) the other dimensions would also grow proportionately I'd GUESS! This would give you a bit more bulk to deal with and it MIGHT give you a more functional sluice that would still be easy to carry. I'd ask the Pro's on this modification were you interested in it. The mini is a small BGT and is meant for sampling however, from the samples you've pictured having a slightly larger sluice would increase the throughput and "moving more dirt is better" has been considered the best way to go. Just a thought to consider.

Best of success with whatever you decide on..................63bkpkr

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

revanlive

Greenie
Oct 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks both of you. I’ll think about it and see how it is a bit bigger. You’re right because as it is now I can’t even put a shovel full in and it’s not a big shovel I have ��
Around 24’’ / 60cm seems still compact enough. I’ll do the math tonight and let you know.
Probably could increase the diameter of the tubes (15mm now) to keep the pattern I have and match the dimensions too !
Hopefully there will be other answers by then !

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks good. I agree make it bigger.

Prospector size is best.

The diverter strip should be between 3/16 to a 1/4 inch into the flow under the top plate.

it should be even with where the trap starts.

I really do recommend at least 30 inches of overall length

OP
OP
R

revanlive

Greenie
Oct 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you very much for the info on the diverter !
30 inches (76cm) would be a bit to big. I measured my rucksack and it’s 65cm (I think 25 and 1/2 inches). As I have to do some tricky adventures (even if the gold is right by the road I always manage to go into some crazy stuff :dontknow:), the size of the rugsack is my limit. I can just attach it to the side or front of the bag and move freehands.
It seems like a good compromise what do you guys think ?
Then is the best thing to do to increase the diameter of the tubes ? To keep 3 tubes in ? Therefore also increase the diameter of the holes ? At the moment they would be 3mm (a bit over 1/10inch).

EDIT : Actually 75cm (right below 30 inches would probably be good. Back to the drawing board !

Last edited:

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldnt waste my time. If its not just right it wont work as well as a standard sluice. And in most cases a garret pan used properly is faster with better recovery rates. Ive got 10 sluice boxes and the only ones i use are the smallest ones because the good gold is hard to reach. Or crevicing and dont need anything fancy to run a pan worth of material every 20 min.

Also the GGT interestingly decided not to use the diversion baffle. I hated it when I got mine and didnt see one but turns out. it still catches gold. Hard to say if it helps or not. I would use as small as possible. Could cause scouring if not right.

Last edited:

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I used to have a 30" bazooka prospector, I wasn't a big fan of it so I sold it off, I have a 48" prospector and I love that thing! The sniper model was a toy.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to have a 30" bazooka prospector, I wasn't a big fan of it so I sold it off, I have a 48" prospector and I love that thing! The sniper model was a toy.
my first one was a sniper..I traded it back after one use.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldnt waste my time. If its not just right it wont work as well as a standard sluice. And in most cases a garret pan used properly is faster with better recovery rates. Ive got 10 sluice boxes and the only ones i use are the smallest ones because the good gold is hard to reach. Or crevicing and dont need anything fancy to run a pan worth of material every 20 min.

Also the GGT interestingly decided not to use the diversion baffle. I hated it when I got mine and didnt see one but turns out. it still catches gold. Hard to say if it helps or not. I would use as small as possible. Could cause scouring if not right.

His source conditions are much different. We are spoiled here with our crevices and flood deposits.

he's taking 4 hours to classify four or five buckets. I run that much material in minutes when sluicing.

Sounds like hes in a situation where sluicing will be most productive for him.

His plans look good. I'm interested in seeing the first one he pops out.

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well i have to admit i stopped reading his post at "Nugget Bucket"..So idk what conditions but a garret pan in exoerienced hands would surely destroy the nugettbuckets productuon

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well i have to admit i stopped reading his post at "Nugget Bucket"..So idk what conditions but a garret pan in exoerienced hands would surely destroy the nugettbuckets productuon

Agreed, It wasn't a brag about running volume. It was more like man the nugget bucket sounds slow as heck. lol.

However if all my panning netted me was a fly poop here and there I would go mad.

So, if I was stuck in a spot with minimal fine gold and sparse at that. I would want a good sluice for sure.

We are lucky to live where we live. I feel for the guys that have the fever and have far to go for the really fun stuff.

Yet, gold is gold and finding it on your own is a very rare thing . So, kudos to ANYONE who does it.

And just keep digging:headbang:

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What even is the nugget bucket? I had one demonstrated to me and I still dont get it? The non miner with me ate up the salesman speal and the two looked at me like I was insane for being confused how this is any way shape or form better than a normal pan or gods forbid a sluice box. A simple sluice can be cobbled together to get some color while you build the big bad motha, a simple trough with some carpet and some expanded metal is almost bullet proof and is functional in a variety of water flow conditions.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

revanlive

Greenie
Oct 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks goldwasher. New plans up to date and size are coming soon, just need to draw them.

As for Mytimetoshine and N-lionberger to answer all your replies :
- As I said I’m fresh and new to prospecting. The nugget bucket seemed the easiest and most interesting at the time to get started, and best capacities of fine gold recovery too. Like most newbies I had a fear of losing gold. Or not finding any, or go in bad spots etc.
Why best ? Because no need to set up at a certain angle, deal with water flow etc, no cleanout either.
Now that I have more experience I know that it is not the best in productivity due to the double classifier and the need to throughly process the dirt through them (here again fear of losing anything).
All I wanted was dig and find gold with the minimum complications.
But the nugget bucket is slow as heck yeah :/
So I’m sure a Garret pan In experienced hand would destroy many productions system, but the keywords here are “experienced hands here”... not my hands :laughing7:

- The gold concentration around is very low. I wish I could go out and find decent gold anytime. Unfortunately the only gold bearing area (I mean exploited gold bearing area historically) is a 3,5h drive away. So I can’t go there every week.
I’m sure there is decent size and amount of gold but I’m still learning to find a good spot and know when to pick a spot or move. I tried to do test pan but I’ve never seen a color by just panning a shovel full yet without processing at least a bucket.
I’m trying to keep an eye out for crevicing but so far I don’t find anything in the few I cleaned. Once again, the more I’ll go out the better I’ll be.

- As to waste my time building one as you said, i’m Actually enjoying a lot the process of researching etc.
It’s all about the journey they say :’D

Very different conditions, Im not at home, i live in a houseshare in a city, I pan my concentrate in my bathroom (no the toilet though :D), I have no shop to build my stuff or store my équipement, my shovel is sleeping the boot of my car.
The tallest mountain in the whole country is a hill compared to my standards and it’s not even the gold bearing area haha ! No big slabs of bedrock here or anything like it.
Not trying to be pityful or whatever, just explaining the situation haha !

Sluice is the best choice in my opinion but it has to be compact and easy to use.
Can’t have a bad motha unfortunately.
Cheers for the feedback anyway :occasion14:

Last edited:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What even is the nugget bucket? I had one demonstrated to me and I still dont get it? The non miner with me ate up the salesman speal and the two looked at me like I was insane for being confused how this is any way shape or form better than a normal pan or gods forbid a sluice box. A simple sluice can be cobbled together to get some color while you build the big bad motha, a simple trough with some carpet and some expanded metal is almost bullet proof and is functional in a variety of water flow conditions.

its an invention someone came up with to make sure you find less gold than you should be able to without it

https://www.ebay.com/itm/163256312526?msclkid=d176e96ee781155172e8b2be6e97cf00

You can get it in pink if you want. So, there is that.

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$135 for a bucket. and some cheezy plastic tools... Seems crazy that this makes money and GGT has to close doors..

Hamfist

Aug 1, 2014
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
$135 for a bucket. and some cheezy plastic tools... Seems crazy that this makes money and GGT has to close doors..

GGT didn't come with tweezers and a cup to store all of the nuggets you're going to find. That was their undoing.

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I watched a youtube video of its operation. It looks terribly inefficient. What is the recovery system? all I can see is that it funnels sand into a cup. I'll stick with a pan.

When I go sampling with a pan I will typically pan out about a buckets worth of material from each spot as you mentioned you may not see any gold in one shovelful. How I like to go about it is to fill my pan and work it down as quick and rough as I can work the material with you fingers to break it up shake it down as hard as you can without flinging material out, as the bigger lighter rocks float up sweep them out of the pan with your hand. do this until you have a pile of heavies and repeat until you get through your pile, then you pan down your concentrate as normal.

As far as sluices go small sluices are a pain they are slow feeding, I like to have to work to keep up with my sluice, gold is a numbers game making the most use of your time in the field running as much dirt as humanly possible. Getting more color thats what its about.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread