Bazookapple Express and the Skunk Lion!

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been chomping at the bit to sluice a spot I sampled last fall below where I've gotten nuggets before. Theres quartz in some of the gold I'm still trying to decide if its undug material on the edge of handstacks or if its eroded from the stacks themselves. when I come across the material its very distinct and not like the material that's in the cracks actually in the waterway. When I find it in traps its pretty hard and shows really good chunky color.
Well. since we had this river of moisture coming in I knew there would finally be enough water to run my Bazooka. Between waves of rain I got out Saturday for about two and a half hours Sunday I got about an hour and fifteen minutes. I only ran about eight partial buckets maybe between the two days. This is an area that was originally dug by the Kanaka Hawiian Islanders that were here during the beginning of the goldrush. It was not reworked by the Chinese and during the depression work was focused on the rich pockets that are located on the ridges above. Like today the drainage only has water seasonally. So counting on water to placer mine was an issue back in the day which is a good thing for me. It made effective work sporadic. A modern prospector has more versatility dealing with the water situation.

I think the Islanders were looking over my shoulder especially on Saturday.

The day started out weird from the get go. I backed up my truck had put on my rubber boots I'm standing by my tailgate and I hear a couple tom's down below gobbling cool I'm thinking same ones I saw the other day same general area...spring season is coming up8-)

I went to close my driver door right as I leave the back of my truck and hear a young cat/kitten meowing sort of a help me I'm right here meow. I come back around fully expecting to see a wet lost cat as I am actually pretty close to houses. As I'm walking coming around I hear it farther down the draw at the edge of the tree but don't see it then no more meows and no more gobbles:dontknow:
I throw on my pack grab bucket and shovel and head into the trees so I can hit the old trail to the diggings. There is an old road That I have cleared I can cover the distance to the diggings in total silence and its below the modern trail. I have this feeling that I really need to pay attention today. Walking slowly scanning the understory listening to the awesome sound of a swollen creek.
Make it to my spot drop gear set up sluice no rain some blue patches of sky. Set up my sluice start opening up the hole I want to work.On my second bucket I'm working in a t-shirt rain still hasn't come in yet but, Its on the way.
I'm on my second bucket even though I'm running a bazooka the material is mucky and the water fast so I'm feeding with my Jobe scoop but, feeding quickly like a four minute bucket. As I'm feeding I catch a faint stale skunk smell...keep feeding check my self for scent lol I was damp and had my down vest on earlier which does need washed lol...I smell skunk again same stale old smell....
Now my mind is going over a conversation I had with a neighbor the other day and I will give some back story. This is in the area of my claim. Sometime in late December a mountain lion killed a skunk and added it to its deer kill stash pile there are numerous scrape piles on the ground and several tracks about three and a half inches across a young cat. My neighbor and I were talking about how this cat was gonna be ripe for a while. I wasn't sure of the wind direction so I chucked a couple cobbles upstream in a few directions....still feeding sluice skunk smell stronger...I don't like this I'm scanning every direction. I don't like my thoughts or the feeling.
I climb up higher on the bedrock near my hole . I catch the wind direction its coming from the direction my back was facing while I'm cleaning the hole out. I'm scanning and looking.....in this one area...hmmmm don't see anything I am looking over this one area for a good minute...I go to look the other way not fully turning around right as I turn my head .....BOOM right from the brush I was just staring at something LOW LONG BROWN AND FAST explodes from the bush and runs directly up the tailings coming down from an upper bench. It was fast quiet and 20 YARDS AWAY. It bolted from right next to the creek. It must have thought I was looking at it, it held fast until I saw me turn.
Muscle memory is awesome...I do not remember drawing my 1911 but, since it was out I popped off a few rounds into the bank near where it ran up after the second shot I heard more cobbles come down the hill fifty yards up farther. never did I hear the clumbsy thumping sound of a bounding deer. This was a ninja of the forest damned Catamount trying to sneak up on me glad he ate a skunk a month ago.
I wasn't freaked out my hair never stood up but, it was hard to keep my head into my work very well two more buckets the rain was coming in pretty good. I went home to freak out my wife. The next day I went back and dug a few more buckets never smelled a skunk. If its the same cat he has been seen a few times in the last month young about 50lbs and seen during the day several times....he's not gonna last long if he keeps it up.

Attachments

• IMG_0462 (600x800) (600x800).jpg
    IMG_0462 (600x800) (600x800).jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_0466 (800x570).jpg
    IMG_0466 (800x570).jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_0465 (570x800).jpg
    IMG_0465 (570x800).jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_0456 (600x800).jpg
    IMG_0456 (600x800).jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_0461 (600x800).jpg
    IMG_0461 (600x800).jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 140
Upvote 0

bug

Jun 5, 2008
Nor Cal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good story J,
I also saw a large one up in Gtown a few years ago that crossed about 50' in front of my path. He disappeared then reappeared back on the trail, to take a second look at me. His long tail was twitching like a playful cat, or maybe he saw something he liked. I stopped cold, and we both stared each other in the eyes for about 10 seconds. It was a bit tense, and then he turned, and shot off like a lightening bolt into the forest. You could not hear a branch break. Total stealth technology, these cats are! Its likely 9 out of 10 times they see you, and you never know it!

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Very interesting story.

The problem with cats is they're so stinking quiet (pun intended). The smell may have been your lucky ticket that day, and there may be something wrong with your cat (old, sick, injured), and that's why it had to take down a skunk--no other choice to avoid starvation. You, on the other hand, would have made a much longer lasting meal.

I always get nervous if I know there's a Cougar in the area; however, the problem with them is that you usually don't know they're around; that's how good they are at stealth.

I think you got incredibly lucky.

Nice gold in the pan, and a happy ending to your story.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
Goldwasher

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree Lanny I was lucky it was stinky. I am in that particular area numerous times a week so I have to deal with the fact that there is a cougar around. I am there enough that I do notice when something is off. I am very alert and observant. I actually don't detect as much as I would like to because I don't like to have earphones on out there. I also don't like to detect with out them... I have spent quite a bit of time outdoors and alone. I knew when I started exploring the area I would be running into something. There are also bears around. I am more concerned with hi-graders and certain locals than I am wildlife really. I live right down the road and due to the NATURE of our neighborhood we get bear and cat there too. This particular Lion if the local accounts are all the same cat. Is a younger one seems to be either curious or stupid and new to the area. He has been seen a lot lately in and around properties during the day all in the same are of our neighborhood. All in an area attached to my area of operations. He will either lose his curiosity or die if he keeps it up. Most likely he will become more wiley get bigger and more woods savvy and then will not be seen as much. That will be when I worry about it a bit

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Cougars are my biggest worry when out prospecting, bears second, rangers third. :laughing7:

That's a heck of a story, I pretty much only have had close calls with bears and haven't seen a Cougar yet, but when you feel those eye's watching you know to be on the lookout.

Great gold too. :)

G-bone

Dec 9, 2014
Ventura Ca
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro w/ NEL coil.
Minelab Xterra 705,
Bazooka Snipers (24" and 30").
Royal Folding Sluice with Gold hog mats.
Thompson 12V Puffer Drywasher.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah Nature...what day that was for you.
One you'll never soon forget I am sure.

Love what you did in the last pic, laying out the flakes to look like the Hawaiian islands.
Saying "Aloha" to the old ones before you.

Cool

OP
OP
Goldwasher

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good eye G-bone I actually did that from memory wasn't sure how close I was:headbang:

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I had a feeling it was a good idea to be able to unload the 9mm quickly last time we went to the claim. Didn't know you had a 1911 Next time we meet up I'll bring my grandfather's Ithaca 1911 circa WW2.

jvan

Sep 30, 2014
Placerville, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Hog Raptor Highbanker, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Fisher F70, Bazooka 36" Sniper, Gold Cube, Gold Vac Pac, Pans & Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
btw, I am picking one of these up this year because the same also applies to Big Cats.

sharks-diving.com has them for $17 bux.
There are other variations out there but I like the big bright eyes on this one.

mask_strap-FACT.jpg

long-hair-comfort.jpg

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am working on my prototype motorcycle helmet with attach dragon tail of broadheads that extends down the back of the neck. Keeps the cats off and clears small brush at the same time....

OP
OP
Goldwasher

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
btw, I am picking one of these up this year because the same also applies to Big Cats.

sharks-diving.com has them for $17 bux.
There are other variations out there but I like the big bright eyes on this one.

View attachment 1120976

View attachment 1120977
Right now I wear my hat backwards...sometimes with my sunglasses on the brim. With the amount of time I check behind me If I'm being watched at least I
I'm a confusing sight to see.

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story Goldwasher :) I've had plenty of cat run in's and have seen one black panther and that species is supposedly extinct here in Dutch Flat or anywhere in this state along with the extinct Lynx and Martin that I see here and there also...lol. Man a 1911, that was the day when you could buy these here in the USSK or Kalifornia... Since they were put on the Feinstein anti-terrorist gun list that banned all 1911's and many other firearms from being sold here on December 11, 2014 a couple months ago, they wouldn't even let me pick up my wifes new Les Baer that I got her before Christmas but they returned my money at least.

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What Takoda? Not Fashionable enough for ya? lol :laughing7:

When I snipe my face is down in the water 99.9% of the time.
If it helps scare of big cats and rangers then I don't care what it looks like. :)

TAKODA

Aug 19, 2008
Alabama
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What Takoda? Not Fashionable enough for ya? lol :laughing7:

When I snipe my face is down in the water 99.9% of the time.
If it helps scare of big cats and rangers then I don't care what it looks like. :)

It's not the look Neo . It's the concept of fake eyes as a predator deterrent on whole
that I have no confidence in , regardless of the anecdotal evidence or " science "
in support of it . I did a little swimming and diving in the Navy . The shark deterrent
claim is ridiculous . But I also would not bet on a hat or some other " false eyes "
strap on device to provide protection against attack from panthers ( cougars ) , bears ,
tigers , gators , crocks , pythons , alien beings ...... etcetera .

On the other hand ........ donning such apparel certainly ain't gona hurt nothing if
it makes one feel more secure . Mans gotta do ....... right .

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
People working in the jungles of India have a long tradition of wearing a hat with eyes on the back just like this to ward off the tigers. It is an accepted fact that this works Takoda.

theseeker

Mar 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's Surf PI Pro Dual Field/Minelab Sovereign Elite/Goldbug II/Goldbug Pro
Goldwasher, thanks for relating your experience, great story. Gives us cheechakos some things to keep mind when we are in the wild.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread