Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Upvote 0

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's unfortunate and happens here in Florida too often.

kezhk

Jun 1, 2014
Primary Interest:
Tragic, same thing happened nearby where i was detecting a few weeks ago. Jilted lover went on a one way swim.

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
Yes this happens alot. I always get nervous when I see the tourist let their kids play in the rough surf. At least be near a lifeguard.

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Thank you for the info link, eathabs

Lorraine

Lores

Apr 15, 2014
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro ACE 250 Garrett Pro Pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We had a weird one her last week. Some poor tourist died when the hole in the sand he dug fell in on him. Very sad.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually jump into them on purpose with my surfboard when the surf is large to help me paddle out beyond the breakers.
It's sad that folks loose their lives just because they panic and don't understand they can just swim to the side until their out... Then back in.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In Hawaii, We use the rips like a conveyor belt to get out, when surfing or diving to save energy.
This is under controlled conditions as we have flotation and know what to expect.

However, even experienced water men can easily loose their lives in rips.
Once panic sets in, you are driven by fear, not knowledge and your instinct for survival works against you.
I have seen beginning divers, have to drop their weight belts and jettison their equipment, a complete loss, and are thrilled just to get back in alive.

It is a very different experience, getting sucked out, while trying to keep your head above water while holding your detector and scoop, without flotation.

I actually jump into them on purpose with my surfboard when the surf is large to help me paddle out beyond the breakers.
It's sad that folks loose their lives just because they panic and don't understand they can just swim to the side until their out... Then back in.

Last edited:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Duke Kahanmoku said it best! "Never turn your back to the sea!"
It is and can be dangerous! The link above is excellent!
I been in the rip a number of times while surfing and if you loose your board
just relax and swim parallel to the beach and it will deliver you to the beach!

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I lived in PCB, Fl in the early 80's, the kids would come down to the beach and ignore the red flags and consume large amounts of alcohol and drugs and we had drownings every week. Sometimes 2-3 a week in bad conditions. I always respected the sea. Since I was working two jobs and working 7 days a week, I didn't have much time to hit the beach anyway.
I remember this crowd after a young guy consumed 6 beers and smoked some pot and drowned and when the ambulance got there the crowd was trying to turn it over. Hundreds of drunk and stoned kids and no regard for someone the emts were trying to save and had to call in the local police and sheriff's dept to restore safety for the first responders. We don't give enough credit to our first responders. They risk their lives every day for people they don't even know and not just for a paycheck. Then people act like this when they are trying to save a life.
Got so wound up thinking about this, I forgot my manners. Thanks for this link.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread