Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might get it. And Happy Easter! So I asked to find something, didn't specify what, at the beach yesterday and I asked to be of service in His kingdom.

Well, I teamed up with Vferrari and we went to the one state park. This year I got a yearly pass, I got almost no gold last year because I frankly didn't go to the beaches or parks.

So this year, with a yearly permit...

Anyway we each got some clad and both got 1 piece of junk jewelry. Pray #1 answered.

As far as being useful in the universe goes, I walk up to a little fence, lots of people were fishing and see a BIG blue channel catfish lying there. It was still alive, but had some sand on it. Temp about 60 degrees out, so not really hot. I picked it up and it tried to escape, so figured it just might live. I walked over to the couple sitting there and asked if it was theirs and they said yes and I could have it.

So I took ownership of the fish, now we're talking about 2' and maybe 5 pounds of blue channel catfish, a female full of roe.

I took her to the edge of the bay and unceremoniously tossed her in. She rolled once in the surf and took off. The couple said they were told "those kind" of fish were to be killed only! They were misled, it's the flathead catfish the DNR doesn't want in the bay.

The lady actually apologized, although it wasn't her fault. (Read the instructions with the fishing license manual.)

I am pretty sure the fish made it. When I picked it up it was still spunky. It's only a fish, but it belongs to my Boss. Prayer #2, check.

Then I go down a little bit, get a signal and get THIS out of the sand. Some kid could have been seriously injured stepping on this. I gave it to a fisherman.

Sometimes its the little things we CAN do that make a difference. This hook set is about 5" long. Nasty, nasty, nasty. IMG_0286.JPG

Upvote 36

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great day at the beach experiencing the answers to your prayers. The prayers were half the answer then you chose to perform kind acts providing the other half to bring it all full circle, well done and Happy Easter!.......63bkpkr

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go, Smokey. That thing is a snag hook. We used them on the Salmon River in New York when they were legal a long time ago. Have a Blessed Easter.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice praying Smokey, especially to find and get rid of that huge snag hook. That would without a doubt, reek some havoc on a barefooted person. Happy Easter to you !

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice save. In a few different ways. Nice!

tomhighland

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2015
In MI woods
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Excellent day! Layers of possible hidden meaning here. A semi resurrection story. How many could he feed with one fish? Serving him by educating the couple. The hook is much bigger than what we were allowed to use back in the day in Michigan. Still have several put away. Never know what the future will be.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I felt sorry for the lady, she was ashamed she had left the wrong kind of fish to die. I smiled nicely at her and told her it was ok. At Coin Beach Delaware a few years ago, I found a knife with a 7" blade sticking straight up in the sand, blade up. Terrorists. Of course I removed it. Then there was the one day a fisherman snagged a cormorant at the river. He was going to snap the line and I about took his head off! I told him to reel it in slowly and I'd take care of it. He got it to the edge of the water and I put my hat over it's face and grabbed it out of the water. I took my needle nose pliers and removed the gang hook from it's leg, and got my hat back and release it. It did bite me once.

I saw another one get hooked, the jerk who did it drew back and deliberately snapped the line and the treble lure was imbedded in the bird. You could see the distress on the animal. If I EVER SEE THAT AGAIN all HELL is going to break loose, starting with a call to the police! I don't go to the river anymore so I don't see it. It could get nasty and I really mean it. I will pursue the person and swear out a warrant for animal abuse, and there are federal laws involved.

God gave us all these animals and we have dominion over them. That' DOESN'T mean we abuse them. Just ask my hens.

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You truly get it. What a blessing! And keep on sharing it! It's why we're here in the first place. :icon_thumleft:

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice work! As a side note, it makes me cringe to see people and their children running around the beach and surf barefooted. If they knew how much sharp metal and glass we pull out of the beaches they would never walk them barefooted again!

Steve

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great work Smokey you are truly an enlightened Man and a real friend of nature. Once at Myrtle Beach I saw a young man chasing the porpoises with a jet ski. I saw him later loading his toy in the parking lot. I couldn't help but ask him how many did he figure he'd wounded? Mostly these days I don't pray for opportunities just for the wisdom to recognize them. I'm also quite popular in giving thanks for unanswered prayers of my youth!

Best wishes and honorable mention!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also swerve the car to miss nightcrawlers in the road in the spring. Don't tell anyone. I have seen lots of folks being carried out of the water bleeding from glass or whatever. That's one reason I don't go in the water to detect.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a day at the beach would be good for me Great post and Happy Easter. Tommy

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also swerve the car to miss nightcrawlers in the road in the spring. Don't tell anyone. I have seen lots of folks being carried out of the water bleeding from glass or whatever. That's one reason I don't go in the water to detect.

I sliced my knee open playing in the shallow water as a kid, I know the feeling. When I hit the surf I am always wearing diving boots with a thick sole. In the great lakes a lot of fish carcasses get churned up from the bottom in the early spring, the fish bones can be sharp too and stab right through the neoprene on diving boots if you aren't careful.

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Happy Easter Smokey. Thanks for the story. I see some nasty stuff here on our beaches too.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice fish save...Happy Easter! :occasion14:

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might get it. And Happy Easter! So I asked to find something, didn't specify what, at the beach yesterday and I asked to be of service in His kingdom.

Well, I teamed up with Vferrari and we went to the one state park. This year I got a yearly pass, I got almost no gold last year because I frankly didn't go to the beaches or parks.

So this year, with a yearly permit...

Anyway we each got some clad and both got 1 piece of junk jewelry. Pray #1 answered.

As far as being useful in the universe goes, I walk up to a little fence, lots of people were fishing and see a BIG blue channel catfish lying there. It was still alive, but had some sand on it. Temp about 60 degrees out, so not really hot. I picked it up and it tried to escape, so figured it just might live. I walked over to the couple sitting there and asked if it was theirs and they said yes and I could have it.

So I took ownership of the fish, now we're talking about 2' and maybe 5 pounds of blue channel catfish, a female full of roe.

I took her to the edge of the bay and unceremoniously tossed her in. She rolled once in the surf and took off. The couple said they were told "those kind" of fish were to be killed only! They were misled, it's the flathead catfish the DNR doesn't want in the bay.

The lady actually apologized, although it wasn't her fault. (Read the instructions with the fishing license manual.)

I am pretty sure the fish made it. When I picked it up it was still spunky. It's only a fish, but it belongs to my Boss. Prayer #2, check.

Then I go down a little bit, get a signal and get THIS out of the sand. Some kid could have been seriously injured stepping on this. I gave it to a fisherman.

Sometimes its the little things we CAN do that make a difference. This hook set is about 5" long. Nasty, nasty, nasty. View attachment 1705406
That's a two er aka grapnel. Why a two er? When we were kids we'd buy the next size up from the bait & tackle shop, file the barbs off & drag the piers for fishing tackle & other lost treasures. They cost two weeks allowance so they were two ers. Man! I'll bet we pulled up a couple pickup loads of goodies with those! Hey! There ya go! You might've opened up a whole new chapter in your THing. Happy Easter!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread