Be carefull in feilds this time of year!

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday evening around dusk I was hunting way down in a field off a somewhat busy back road.I was seeing hunters all day,and the thought has always crossed my mind, but yesterday evening gave me a wake up call.It was just about dark and a truck came creeping by on the road and I am sure they where looking to catch a deer out in the fields,so I could have ended up a sitting duck.Most hunters are responsible and always make sure what they are shooting at before they pull the trigger,but make no mistake there are some drunken crazys out there that will shoot at any silhouette they think might be a deer,and some idiots that just shoot them to shoot them and let them lay.But anyway he was creeping buy,and I thought oh-sh..,so I started peddaling real fast waving my machine in the air "machines up don't shoot:icon_cheers:"so they backed in a driveway across the road and shined their lights down through the field on me,I was still waving the machine around getting ready to hit the deck,but fortunitly they realized what I was and went on their way.I usually don't like to stick out like a sore thumb no matter what I am doing,but I think I am gonna have my orange cap on for now on,at least when it starts getting dark.Be safe out there,and HH

Last edited:

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post and solid advice DigIron2.
Please allow me to add, take caution when diggin' too. A few years back I dug a rusted "broad head" that would have surely shredded my digits if not for gloves.
Peace ✌

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post and solid advice DigIron2.
Please allow me to add, take caution when diggin' too. A few years back I dug a rusted "broad head" that would have surely shredded my digits if not for gloves.
Peace ✌
Ah man,that can ruin a day real fast,nothing like sliced digits:laughing7:and tetanus.The only things that have gotten me so far is Sheet tin,and I think a deep soda can got me one time.

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will add a small slice from copper roofing. Ouch.
Peace ✌
Ouch is right.and to me it's not just getting cut ,its the thought of all the dirt and rust and whatnot that is going with it.That is what is scary,the strong possibility of infection,and tetanus.I wanna keep all my digits and hands,but I tell ya man,personally I don't like to where gloves digging unless it is cold.But I will sometimes.

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Out here the Conservation Officers set up decoys in fields next to the road to catch poachers. Much like this:

You gotta be careful, a lot of idiots with guns out there trying to shoot deer. Last year my girlfriend's neighbor's house took a deer slug to the side from somebody shooting from the road.

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing like having a 150 grain hunk of metal tear through your body going over 2,000 feet per second just absolutely ruin your day. If I do get in the woods this time of year I have on orange vest and hat, and still don't feel comfortable. I belonged to a deer hunting club once where on opening day two of the members managed to bag a cow apiece, and they were respected as good hunters. So, just saying....

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's why I don't hunt the fields and most of the woods until Sunday or when deer season is over!

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Out here the Conservation Officers set up decoys in fields next to the road to catch poachers. Much like this:

You gotta be careful, a lot of idiots with guns out there trying to shoot deer. Last year my girlfriend's neighbor's house took a deer slug to the side from somebody shooting from the road.
I am all for guns,but some people shouldn't have them!They set those decoys up around here in some places too,mostly around federal lands like the battlefields.

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing like having a 150 grain hunk of metal tear through your body going over 2,000 feet per second just absolutely ruin your day. If I do get in the woods this time of year I have on orange vest and hat, and still don't feel comfortable. I belonged to a deer hunting club once where on opening day two of the members managed to bag a cow apiece, and they were respected as good hunters. So, just saying....
yes sir that would ruin everything.Just look at what them rounds do to game like deer,and they are more tougher and resilient then us humans,it wouldn't be pretty at all.I don't play in the woods very much this time of year.Yep,anyone that mistakes a cow for a deer shouldn't have a gun.:laughing7:My uncle was telling me a story a long time ago he was at a check in station in W.V. and a foreigner was checking in two big German Sheperds.

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's why I don't hunt the fields and most of the woods until Sunday or when deer season is over!
That would be the wiser thing to do,but i can't wait, I have to hunt somewhere.Hunting is legal on Sundays in V.a now.This Governor we have is some sh..,not only because of that either

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you hunt the woods any time of year, its smart to wear hunter orange. Whether its a vest or cap, its a good idea. What I use is a lightweight vest with reflective tape on it like you see the cops and road crews wearing. They stick right out, and you can wear a t-shirt underneath when its hot, or over a sweater or jacket when its cooler.

This is also advisable when you are hunting a field. When you are hunched over digging a hole or checking your finds, you represent a smaller figure, and could be mistaken for some other critter at 100+ yards. Think about it. Dark tee shirt and dirty jeans, hunkered up in a ball with your hand in a hole, and Farmer Fudd says, "Dag Blammitt! There's that dadgum dog been in my chickens again!" BOOOM. :sad1:

Tony in Virginia

Dec 14, 2012
King and Queen County Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC / FISHER GOLDBUG
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great advise, always wear blaze orange this time of year. I live in King And Queen County Virginia and hardly walk in the back yard without blaze orange. We also light our dogs up with collar lights , might not be a bad idea to have some kind of illumination if you are hunting fields in low light conditions.Just saying because I'm in the same situation about every time I relic hunt. Happy hunting and Merry Christmas!

Last edited:

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ya DigIron
I live way out in the country lot of kooks go hunting, and one hunting season someone shot my above ground.. 5'high 34' X 28' oval Blue Swimming Pool .
Ya Killed it Dead !
So be careful out there.... even my dogs ware Red Bandannas during hunting season.
Gary

outdoorfunblonde

Nov 14, 2014
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350 with 8.5"x 11" DD coil & Vulcan 360 pin pointer
along with good 'ol eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there a documented case of a MDist ever getting accidentally shot by a hunter?

There would be if I MD'd behind my property at night.
It is legal to hunt in my neighborhood if you own 10 or more acres and hunt your own land, of course...
BUT, I've been out back and have had bullets wizz by my head scaring the crap outta me. These people shoot guns too often, careless fools!! Also, huge hunting arrows stuck in trees behind my house ... that would suck too.
Orange vest/ hats won't help this situation, because these people obviously can not see the target...

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Getting shot by a hunter is very rare...much better chance of falling and killing yourself in the shower.

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Average of two deer hunters shot every year in GA.

Apr 17, 2014
Tartarus Dorsa mountains
Primary Interest:
Other
There would be if I MD'd behind my property at night.
It is legal to hunt in my neighborhood if you own 10 or more acres and hunt your own land, of course...
BUT, I've been out back and have had bullets wizz by my head scaring the crap outta me. These people shoot guns too often, careless fools!! Also, huge hunting arrows stuck in trees behind my house ... that would suck too.
Orange vest/ hats won't help this situation, because these people obviously can not see the target...

LOL@ min acreage to hunt your own place :P

What does the neighborhood beautification committee make you wear while doing that?

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Our family boards a horse at this barn and a few days ago some hunter was spotted on property fence, 30 feet from the barn and only 10 feet away from some horses, anyways there was a flock of geese overhead and he starts shooting, a goose fell on or near the property and some buckshot hit the aluminum roof of the barn. Hunters have gutted deer right 30 feet from the horses. I know a woman who has had hunters hunt in the woods behind her house, she has seen hunters run though her backyard on the way to the woods.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread