Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe Detector Pro would disagree since they run at 2.4 kHz and find gold rings. Some argue that the ML multi freq runs near 3 kHz and we know how they do.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Higher frequency detectors certainly are more sensitive to gold/ low conductive targets and lower frequency detectors are more sensitive to higher conductive targets like silver. This however does not mean one or the other cannot find a gold ring or a silver coin.

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Will a low VLF find gold?

Lawrence, Lower frequency detectors cannot detect gold no matter what the size??? Huh?? Explain please. How low are you talking about? I've found many gold rings with my Ace 250 which runs at 6.5 kHz and my At pro is a gold chain magnet. Either you don't know what your talking about or you've never owned a VLF detector.

Look at other earlier posts on TreasureNet and some have looked at low VLF detectors and compared them to the higher VLF machines and the low VLF machines are silent with lots of gold. I imagine that, close enough, perhaps the low VLF will respond with larger gold (e.g., rings). But if the issue is detecting gold, a low VLF will disappoint compared to a higher VLF machine. And as I stated earlier, I think the ADVANTAGE of the ATPro is that it runs at 15Khz and that is GOOD for gold.

Theoretically, low frequencies will penetrate deeper than higher frequencies. But when it comes to gold, higher frequencies are more likely to detect gold. Perhaps this is why thinner gold is often found at shallow depths if al all and why some have never found gold. I think that this is an important issue and I'll post a new thread to generate discussion.

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
Greece, French Riviera, Switzerland, North Italy
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
In any case, small gold chain will be totally invisible to any VLF detectors from 4 to 40Khz ! . Only certain Pi will be able to see them, but not very deep.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread