Detector(s) used
Whites Idx Pro - DFX
Upvote 0

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
The DFX works great at the beach - as long as you stay dry! I had a dfx for years, and it did produce some great finds in dry sand. But I found myself exclusively searching the water... there tend to be more finds in the Surf.

As for water detectors, you can't beat the excalibur. Whites PI machines were great if you like deep targets and no discrimination. I believe that the beachunter ID (also whites) uses the same tech. as the DFX.

good luck
steve

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The DFX will work fine at the beach if you don't use a lot of sensitivity in the wet sand. But because of the rough conditions a water detector will last longer and you can get it wet either from spray or dropping it. The Excal 1000 (big coil) is very deep and easy to use without having to Ground Balance. Second is the Sov GT with the larger WOT coil. Some of the pros like Treasure Hunter have theirs waterproofed for hunting the surf and also use the WOT coil.

OP
OP
pokerdad911

pokerdad911

Mar 25, 2008
O.C CA.
Detector(s) used
Whites Idx Pro - DFX
Thanks guys. I love a place like this for all kinds of tips and how to's. :icon_thumright:

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I use a Mxt 300 at the beach sometimes when i can't get in the the water ,,,it works well DON"T GET THE CONTROL BOX WET .. Guzzz1

Jason in TN

Bronze Member
Oct 29, 2004
East Tennessee
Will work fine in the wet sand have used one for well over 400hrs at the beach and have found many gold rings with it. Use the relic mode and dig all positive #s and even negative # down to -15. I run the pre amp wide open on the beach I hunt and the sens about 75 your beach may not allow this high of settings this is in the wet sand. I now have the V3 and have sold my DFX have found 11 gold with the V3 at the beach this summer so far have about 50hrs of hunting in.

Jason

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread