Beach discrimination problems

pitchfork

Jan 6, 2006
Santa Barbara, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Hello folks! I've been frustrated recently by my results at the beach. Let me explain. I'm only looking for jewelry at the beach but when I set the Explorer II to detect jewelry (and ignore coins, fe coins, pull tabs, caps, nails) it fails to recognize jewelry.

Does anyone know the best way to detect gold/silver/platinum at the beach while excluding aluminum?

Im having a lot of trouble with Explorer II discrimination and would greatly apprecaite your expertise.

Regards,

Sarge

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The problem is the discrimination of aluminium. This metal is the same conductivity as a lot of jewelry an by tuning it out you are missing about all the good jewerly. Tune out the foil an lose the Platinum and the fine chains. You could also do better by turning down the sensitivity from the programed one an turn up the gain a little.

You will do lots better at the beach Sarge by using all metal and not rely on the machine trying to reconize the good stuff. Since it is easier to scoop the sand, go for it.

Good Luck,
Sandman

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just like sandman said above - there's no easy way to avoid that problem

if you want gold = "you gotta deal with it and dig everything"

hh and good luck

seas1to2

May 17, 2006
fl
even silver is sometimes tricky. A real small piece will come in about the same as a zinc penny.

neilo

Aug 23, 2005
Hi Pitchfork, some time ago I put an article in the detector reviews by owners section about finding gold rings with the Explorer2. It could be helpful for you. A lot of gold rings and jewelry have very low conductivity and give very dull tones.Silver on the other hand is high in conductivity and will give a very loud high pitch signal. The best advice I can give you is get yourself a really good long handled digging sieve and dig all signals especially soft dull signals.The easier it is for you to dig and find the targets the better.Dont fall into the trap of discrimination, the more targets you dig the more good things you will find.Fine gold chains are next to impossible to detect.It is usually the cross or item hanging on the chain that the detector finds. Remember this if you find something which has come off of a chain chances are the chain itself will usually be close by.If you come across this situation try stirring up the sand with your foot and detect the area, and dig any faint signal. See if you can get Andy Sabisch book Mastering the Explorer, it might help good luck seeya Neilo ;D

gravediggermax-vabeachva

Bronze Member
Nov 24, 2005
va beach, va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
se pro, excal. II, ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sarge

give this a spin and see if u like it

sarge

try this

ferrous
audio 2T H R E S H O L D - zero...........not six or 7..........zeroG A I N: 5
variable 10
tones 10
sensitivity: manual 24 or so.......18 to 20........O R............A U T O yes auto.......like 25
deep off
fast On
SOME USE BOTH ON

O R..................LEAVE THEM BOTH OFF

IRON MAST: -16 - WIDE OPEN SCREEN..........EXP II RIGHT NOT SE

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never found digging the junk on the beach nearly the problem as in a park. I dig EVERYTHING above 0 VDI and set my DFX at -40 and below disc. Most of the gold bands i find fall about 9 VDI. I find most of the junk in the dry sand but at low tide its fairly clean except for sinkers.

kd8hf

Nov 12, 2004
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Classic ID
Hey Gravedigger,

I get over your way once in a while to see the kids. Shoot me a PM with a contact number and I'll
give you a call next time I head over there and we can do some MD'ing.

That is if you would like to do that.
::)
Gary

Iskuli

Jun 17, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites-DSL
I have read in a different thread that people lose more gold than silver....has everyone found that to be true? I live in texas and find quite a bit of silver. Comes up like a penny or dime (I have a classic whites). Regarding gold: I have heard it will come up as a pop-top. Mine is usually a solid nickel. Will gold be wavy...all over the place on the detector, or will it be a solid sound in the nickel range?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread