Beach erosion/wish me luck

Murph

Jul 19, 2004
sarasota
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT
As I type this I am sitting in the path of hurricane Charlie in Sarasota FL. Luckily my condo has built in storm coverings for the windows and I have bolted them down and am sitting in a pitch dark condo. Projected path as of now is Tampa bay which puts me 40 miles to the south side of the storm. Not good.

Provided I am still alive and not digging my way out of the condo, what should I expect for metal detecting on the beach. Erosion at this point is pretty much a given if this storm holds its projected path. Do deep items become uncovered or does the storm wash up objects from out in the gulf? What areas of the beach may be most productive after such an event like this?

A couple of years ago a tropical storm with winds of only 40 MPH knocked out my electric for three days. I am not looking forward to this at all. So if you guys don't hear from me for awhile you will know why. Wish me luck guys. I may need it.

Upvote 0

mikelb

Jul 23, 2004
murph ,you have my wishes of luck,but mostly luck in the hope you find some spanish gold washed up!good luck and be safe!!

KevGA

Jul 12, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Garrett ACE 250
Hey, Murph. I'm a hair north of you in Bradenton, looks like we are in for a ride. Keep your head down and we'll see you on the other side.

C

Charles,Oak Island

knock some wind out of er sails mate before she gets here. We have had enough already.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Good Luck and Best Wishes to all you hunters down those ways. Hope you get the chance to make the most of it and get some good finds! Keep those heads down!

C

Charles,Oak Island

already making plains for a Cape Fear River dive for thursday. Unless the oceans and rain slack off then it's off shore under a full head of steam mate.

elkboy

Jan 29, 2004
Muncie, IND
Detector(s) used
whites XLT Spectrum
Good luck murph and the rest of you down there. I lived threw 2 hurricanes while stationed in NC and VA so I know the feeling and the experience.....no fun. Hope every thing stays intact for ya so you may enjoy the MDing afterwards... Gods speed. Dave.

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
From what I've heard most hurricane wealth stirred up is on the East coast. I haven't heard of any big finds from hurricanes on the gulf, but that doesn't mean it can't happen. If I were there I'd be out as soon as the wind died, and cover as much beach as I could before I dropped from exhaustion. Don't forget to post a picture of your treasures afterwards!

Good luck in weathering the storms, and happy hunting in the aftermath! Send me a bubble bottle if you get one!

C

Charles,Oak Island

hunker down guys here he comes at 145 mph. going out to the shed to get my hurricane shutters ready.

southern gent

Aug 1, 2004
Pickens Co. S.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Sovriegn. Whites. Garret
Primary Interest:
Other
Been there too. The best I've ever done. The best part after hugo was the extreem low tide. I found a trough at about 20 ft past normal low tide. It was loaded with everything you can imagine.
Good luck man. chris

OP
OP
M

Murph

Jul 19, 2004
sarasota
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT
Turned out to be a non event for us here in Sarasota. Folks down south around Punta Gorda and inland around Orlando are in pretty bad shape. Best case scenario panned out for me with the storm hitting south of my location :). Going to work the beach this morning, but doubt that it will be any different from any other weekend except for the fact that no one has been out there dropping anything for a good week now due to weather :(

Obviously I have not even lost power at my house. But basically everyone 10 miles south of me is sitting in the dark. Hurricane winds with this storm only covered a 10 mile wide area as it cut over the peninsula. I am feeling very lucky today indeed, even if I don't find any treasures in the sand.

C

Charles,Oak Island

just hung the hurricane shutters, Charley should be here by 2PM, no diving today

KevGA

Jul 12, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Garrett ACE 250
Well, that was fun. When they upgraded to a Cat 4 we got the hell out of dodge only to be chased across the state to my Mother's in Sebastian. On the way back today we saw quite a bit of damage inland, mostly around Fort Mead and Wachusa. Still pretty stormy, a few Tornados kicking around but all in all not too bad. Luckily for us there was nothing more amiss than a few palm fronds on the front step. Poor folks down Port Charlotte way got creamed. Best wishes to anyone down that way.

C

Charles,Oak Island

we were at cat 1, yea right. lost one house on the beach front about 6 roofs lots of trees and shingles. But no injuries so far. Power was only out for 3 hours.

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
How 'bout it, Murph? Any luck hunting?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread