Beach Find - ID Help

dlos

Jul 12, 2011
I found this while on vacation last week in North Carolina's Northern Outer Banks. Not sure what it is, looked at stone buttons but they all have 2 holes. Not 100% sure of the material, could be stone, could be shell, but I think it's some kind of stone. I picked it up while looking for shells with my kids, it was on the beach at low tide.

Not sure if this is an Indian piece or what, just know that it is most definitely man made.

Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• IMG_0309_a.jpg
    IMG_0309_a.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 351
  • IMG_0310_a.jpg
    IMG_0310_a.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 359
Upvote 0

tchaire

Oct 4, 2004
Welcome!

Cool find. Any other artifacts in the area? Hope it turns out to be man made, but Mother Nature can do some amazing thing, especially water. Do a search
on sand dollars/sea biscuits, etc. That's what came to mind when you mentioned beach finds.

T.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a buddy who found one of those at Myrtle Beach a few years back and he thought it might have been a Bead. He took it to a show and it turned out to be something natural and some sort of sea shell or sea creature. I can't remember which, but it wasn't man made or Indian at all.

OP
OP
D

dlos

Jul 12, 2011
What is a "whurl"?

I thought of the possibility that it might be something organic and once living, but it really doesn't have that feel or look to it at all. Reason I think it to be man made is that the hole in it appears to have been drilled somehow as evidenced by the slightly larger ring visible around the hole. I'm not claiming absolute correctness on this one, I may be way off!

Thanks!

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My buddy and I thought the same thing since the hole did look drilled to us too, but it turned out it was natural.

Think the person above meant Whorl, as in Spindle Whorl.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions