Beach finds help.

IDigVirginia

May 5, 2016
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F4, Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today is my last day at Myrtle Beach. I have been here since Sunday and I've found around $2 in clad and several bottle caps and pull tabs. I understand that you have to swing your detector over and object to find it but I want to make the best of my evening hunt tonight. I have seen numerous YouTube videos of people walking up and down these beaches that appear to be digging ring after ring, gold chains, earrings, old coins etc. Am I looking in the right areas? I search the high tide line (where all the shells collect right below the dry sand) and the places where people sit during the day. I have a Garrett at pro. I'm not trying to sound disappointed or greedy. I just want to have the best chance of finding the good stuff and I'm not experienced at beach detecting. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone and happy hunting!

Upvote 2

david680

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2014
Salem, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, those video's often have hours of nothing edited out. And there are some hunts they just erase the tape. So expecting what you see there is a bit much. Not a beach hunter myself but pretty sure you'll do best in the water.

sasekate

Tenderfoot
Nov 24, 2007
Wolfforth, Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites
I like to go at low tide and go out as far as I can. I just pick up a tide schedule for the area. My beach hunter is waterproof so I can use it under water. Good Luck!!!

OldSean

Jan 6, 2012
York, PA
Detector(s) used
White M6, White 6000di
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's just like fishing. Sometimes you get skunked, sometimes you get little ones and rarely you get the monster. Over time you get to know your area. Keep at it and you will get " the big one". Along the way you will have fun, get exercise and find a lot of interesting stuff

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today is my last day at Myrtle Beach. I have been here since Sunday and I've found around $2 in clad and several bottle caps and pull tabs. I understand that you have to swing your detector over and object to find it but I want to make the best of my evening hunt tonight. I have seen numerous YouTube videos of people walking up and down these beaches that appear to be digging ring after ring, gold chains, earrings, old coins etc. Am I looking in the right areas? I search the high tide line (where all the shells collect right below the dry sand) and the places where people sit during the day. I have a Garrett at pro. I'm not trying to sound disappointed or greedy. I just want to have the best chance of finding the good stuff and I'm not experienced at beach detecting. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone and happy hunting!

Some of these video's are fake as they need subscribers so they get sponsored. Keep your coil level to the sand the whole length of the sweep.

http://web.archive.org/web/20080202045558/http://thegoldenolde.com/

Last edited:

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife and family usually go to North Myrtle in Sept for a family thing and I spend most of my free time on the beach with the detector. Many hours spent looking and I usually find a lot of clad, some junk jewelry, and sometimes one big ticket item for the whole week. Don't get discouraged. I usually find the good stuff as far out as I can get at low tide. I have found a 14K engagement ring with 1/3 carat diamond, an 18k ring with bagette diamonds, valued at $1500, and some other small gold and silver items. But this was over a three year period, one week at a time. Good luck. This may be your lucky night.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of the lost gold would be in the water where people frolick and horse around.
Beaches usually have a good amount of people that search them.
If your there for a short amount of time search places you notice the most people.

I have found silver rings in dry sand at beaches, but the only gold i ever found at the beach was up next to the sea wall which is extremely hard to detect because of the metal rebar in the wall. I think that was the only reason it was there and i found it.
Keep searching you never know when or where gold will turn up.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you hit at wrong time of the year - kids still in school and vacationers have started goin - so youre hitting spots that have been hammered all winter and spring by the locals down there
- theres a ton of vet hunters that are down there - you should have tried to hook up with a few - might have increased your chances a little because they may have told you where and where not to bother
had you gone down in july or aug - think you would have had chance for fresh drops at least

texjim

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2009
schuylkill county pa.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites xlt,vx3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Casper said it best. I go to Cape May in June and have the same problem you do. I rather pay the cheaper rates then go down in July. Good luck and keep at it.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I loaned one of my machines to a friend and it was his first time on the beach with a detector.

He got an earring and a watch.

I hate him now- he's never touching my machine again.

Let the rat-******* buy his own machine.

Keep hunting. It will happen- gotta give it time.

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I am in Michigan and only a few hunt my areas. Look at my last hunt. Over 100 pieces of trash and only a few good targets. Lots and lots of detectorists hit the beaches in Florida. I did for 3 weeks one year. 688 coins and one gold ring. Those three weeks I was in the water a good 18 hours each and every one of those days.

All you can do his hit it hard and keep at it. Also remember that the ring has to be lost in order to find it. You can hunt for days where thousands of people have been and not find a ring or a piece of gold.

Some hunt all hours of the day. The beach goers notice and make sure to take off their jewelry.

Seif5034

Greenie
May 22, 2016
Chunky, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Harbor Freight (Centech?) 9 function
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My recent experience beach hunting I found that the most productive areas were the most populated areas of the beach. Specifically the towel line. Although I did find some targets at entry ways and tide line.

As other said. You will find all the trash on the beach along with the good. Keep in mind that everything you dig could have been a $3,000 ring. Over the weekend I got just under $3 in clad and a few pieces of junk jewelry in between a LOT of trash. (bottletops, pulltabs, canopy stakes, nails, screws, gum wrappers). This was on a Florida beach.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread